Airship Aircraft Carriers

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 31, 2012, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

pyro-manic

That's the most realistic of the two and all the other designs.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

pyro-manic

Yep, fairly restrained. Superb game, too (Crimson Skies). Though it did feature bulletproof zeps with broadside cannons, among other things. But then that was dealt with in the most excellent style. The moment you hear the phrase "...they've got aerial torpedoes!" over the radio you go into a blind panic. Further heightened once you realise the first salvo is already on the way. ;D

The game also featured cargo zeps, with big panniers full of wooden crates slung underneath. Almost plausible, as long as the cargo was fairly light.

And stunt-flying through Hollywood movie sets was epic, if bloody difficult. Did I mention the flying wings and .70cal machine guns? ;D

KJ_Lesnick

I've done some looking into a wikipedia article... interestingly the the USN started using diagonal riders in sail-frigates back in 1794 and the USS Constitution also used that set-up as well.  The ship was repaired in 1927 -- was the construction of the ship (it's insides) made public back then and was anybody in the military outside the Navy aware of this?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Rheged

I must admit to a slight feeling of surprise that no one has yet brought up the late, great Gerry Anderson's CLOUDBASE  from the Captain Scarlet animation
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

ericr

Quote from: Nils on January 16, 2013, 12:14:57 PM
Airship carriers?

well, 2 things jump to mind when thinking of that, first is the Halicarrier from the Avengers movie  :rolleyes:

very impressive!

I have a modest contribution to the topic, for which plausibility might be only relative : is is mixup of a B24 (1/72) and the Franklin carrier (1/700)

Mossie

Quote from: Rheged on January 17, 2013, 02:03:35 AM
I must admit to a slight feeling of surprise that no one has yet brought up the late, great Gerry Anderson's CLOUDBASE  from the Captain Scarlet animation

I did, but under the 'aerial carriers' thread.  I think this thread was originally created to specifically discuss airships, but it's become a little muddied recentley.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16547.msg270679/highlight,valiant.html#msg270679
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: Mossie on January 17, 2013, 03:06:00 AM
Quote from: Rheged on January 17, 2013, 02:03:35 AM
I must admit to a slight feeling of surprise that no one has yet brought up the late, great Gerry Anderson's CLOUDBASE  from the Captain Scarlet animation

I did, but under the 'aerial carriers' thread.  I think this thread was originally created to specifically discuss airships, but it's become a little muddied recentley.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,16547.msg270679/highlight,valiant.html#msg270679

Sorry, missed that one!   Thanks for the  link.  Isn't thread drift  wonderful.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

KJ_Lesnick

Rheged

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/ModernMechanix/10-1934/xlg_aerial_landing_field.jpg

This was the idea I was talking about -- the runway up top.  Now again I'm not sure what it's tendency to flip would be but that's the idea

ericr

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 17, 2013, 03:03:04 PM

This was the idea I was talking about -- the runway up top.  Now again I'm not sure what it's tendency to flip would be but that's the idea

this configuration was illustrated in this other topic of the forum :

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36281.msg582733.html#msg582733

KJ_Lesnick

ericr

Quotethis configuration was illustrated in this other topic of the forum :

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36281.msg582733.html#msg582733
Actually there are several aircraft-carrier airships on this page.

This one appears by in large to be the most realistic in terms of it's basic layout with the exception of the hangar-bay aft due to the flight-deck being relatively small compared to the overall diameter of the blimp.  I don't think it would have been possible to have produced a solar powered airship in those days though (could be wrong though)

What I like about this design is the fact that the blimp, rather than being exceedingly plump, is flattened which maintains a more aerodynamic shape.  It also looks like it could carry quite a good number of aircraft especially if the lifting capacity is good enough and the planes had foldable wings.

What do you think?

pyro-manic

Technical point: the above illustrated concepts are not blimps. A blimp is basically a balloon, with only internal pressure to hold it's shape. A rigid airship is very different, with a superstructure within which the gasbags are contained. There are also semi-rigid airships, which have a structural keel, but the envelope's shape is maintained by pressure.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 20, 2013, 01:01:22 PMTechnical point: the above illustrated concepts are not blimps. A blimp is basically a balloon, with only internal pressure to hold it's shape. A rigid airship is very different, with a superstructure within which the gasbags are contained.
I'm sorry -- I meant airship.

MadJack76

@KJ_Lesnick

QuoteI've done some looking into a wikipedia article... interestingly the the USN started using diagonal riders in sail-frigates back in 1794 and the USS Constitution also used that set-up as well.  The ship was repaired in 1927 -- was the construction of the ship (it's insides) made public back then and was anybody in the military outside the Navy aware of this?

There would be no need for this.  The basic concepts behind geodetic construction were already known by the 1920's.

It is more aerodynamic and it's also not too flat, so geodetic construction would work.

This design might still have problems with top-heaviness.

KJ_Lesnick

MadJack76

QuoteThere would be no need for this.  The basic concepts behind geodetic construction were already known by the 1920's.
Sounds good

QuoteIt is more aerodynamic and it's also not too flat, so geodetic construction would work.
That's good to know