Airship Aircraft Carriers

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 31, 2012, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Does anybody else think this design

would be exceedingly top heavy?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

pyro-manic

It would depend on the rest of the design, but quite probably yes. The engines are all quite low-slung, but I think there would need to be either lots of ballast, or a very heavy keel structure with all weighty equipment attached to it to keep it stable.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 02, 2013, 02:58:05 PMIt would depend on the rest of the design, but quite probably yes.
Even if the fuselage was ovalized like the above design, but the runway up top was only as wide as the solar-powered design?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Still going to need LOADS of ballast which is of course parasitic weight, Kendra.   
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on February 04, 2013, 12:50:29 AM
Still going to need LOADS of ballast which is of course parasitic weight, Kendra.
Ballast is water right?

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 06, 2013, 09:28:37 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 04, 2013, 12:50:29 AM
Ballast is water right?

No, water can be ballast.  Water ballast is disposable.  In this case, this ballast is not disposable.  It must be retained or your airship will turn upside down. So, it would more than likely be something like metal or concrete.  Whatever you can carry as permament ballast, it is less weight you can use for other things, such as aircraft/weapons/passengers/etc.

KJ_Lesnick

What would happen if you had more of the gas bags up top than on the bottom?  Would that counteract top-heaviness?

Also I was thinking -- could you heat up helium to make it float better?

pyro-manic

How could you have more gasbags "up top"? Inside the envelope is all gasbags anyway. :banghead:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 15, 2013, 12:28:33 PM
What would happen if you had more of the gas bags up top than on the bottom?  Would that counteract top-heaviness?

Also I was thinking -- could you heat up helium to make it float better?

1. Unless you have the "runway" under the gasbags (ie inside the envelope), the gasbags will have to always be under the flight deck.

2. You can heat it but it makes it more diffuse which makes it less efficient, not more.  It also has a greater volume.  Same thing happens with high-altitude balloons, which is why they are filled with less than their total volume of gas at ground level.  As the external air pressure decreases, as they rise, the Helium expands and becomes less efficient as a lifting agent.

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

How heavy would the runway have to be provided it the hull was shaped as depicted here (ovalized in cross-section)

With the runway on top about the size as it was on this design? (circular in cross-section and thus smaller)

Patron Zero

Mind I'm no engineer, aviation or otherwise but as an imagineer I could see that upper surface acting as a launch-only operations deck and have some sort of recovery arrangement below the main hull.

Separate facilities would allow for putting more aircraft into service as well as allowing recovery operations to not impede such.  That said I do understand the 'double-jeopardy' involved of additional weight of the structure below the hull but perhaps with the upper deck being less 'complicated' (launch-only), said hull might provide the ballast that was mentioned as a concern in other posts.

KJ_Lesnick

Everybody

The first airship depicted in Reply #70 (Page 5):  Does anybody have any idea how big it would be (provided it had no runway up top) based on the size of the depicted airplanes, and how many it could carry inside an internal hangar based on volume and such?

Rickshaw

How much would the runway up top weigh provided the airship was ovalized as depicted in the first airship depicted in Reply #70 (Page 5), but had a runway that was similar to the second airship depicted on the same post (which was circular in cross section) and lacked a hangar in the back?

rickshaw

Kendra, how long is a piece of string?  I am not a structural engineer, I have no idea how strong and heavy the structures you ask about would be, except to point out it would be substantial.  :rolleyes:

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on February 27, 2013, 04:10:19 PM
how long is a piece of string? 

After hours of  futile research, I  am proud to announce that I have the definitive answer to this  question  that has boggled philosophers throughout the ages!!  A given piece of  string is either 4   inches too short, or 11 feet too long(but only when someone else in the office has  "annexed"  your scissors)

Sorrrrry, puerile levity   and incipient thread  drift.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

Much more amusing and about as useful as some of the contributions.   :thumbsup: