Airship Aircraft Carriers

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 31, 2012, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on February 27, 2013, 04:10:19 PMKendra, how long is a piece of string?  I am not a structural engineer, I have no idea how strong and heavy the structures you ask about would be, except to point out it would be substantial.  :rolleyes:
Could you at least make an eyeball estimate as to how many of the planes depicted could fit in the ship if the wings were folded?  I think about 10-20 could fit but I could be wrong.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 28, 2013, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 27, 2013, 04:10:19 PMKendra, how long is a piece of string?  I am not a structural engineer, I have no idea how strong and heavy the structures you ask about would be, except to point out it would be substantial.  :rolleyes:
Could you at least make an eyeball estimate as to how many of the planes depicted could fit in the ship if the wings were folded?  I think about 10-20 could fit but I could be wrong.

Yes, you could be.  It isn't a question just of volume, airships are much more severely constrained by weight - a point that has been made to you several times already.   As you've decided you must sacrifice all your weight lifting ability to the needless flight deck structure on top of the airship and the ballast required to prevent it turning turtle, how much do you think you've got left over for the aircraft and all their fuel, ammunition, bombs, etc.?   As it is whiffworld, you can of course claim you've discovered unobtanium gas which lifts much more weight than plain old hydrogen or helium (which BTW lifts less than hydrogen) for the same volume.   So then all your endless questions become pointless.  Just claim what you like!  No one is going to ask any questions here.   :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: rickshaw on February 28, 2013, 04:38:51 PMYes, you could be.  It isn't a question just of volume, airships are much more severely constrained by weight - a point that has been made to you several times already.
I get that.  I know you might think I don't, but I do.  Still even if you could lift a given load, you have to have the volume.  Long message short: Volume and lifting capacity matter.

QuoteAs you've decided you must sacrifice all your weight lifting ability to the needless flight deck structure on top of the airship and the ballast required to prevent it turning turtle, how much do you think you've got left over for the aircraft and all their fuel, ammunition, bombs, etc.? 
Let's assume I ditch the deck up top...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.