My Library just grew again 2013

Started by Rheged, January 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

I'm  just a scrooge, who usually borrows from the local library instead of buying.  Latest from Cumbria Library Service is   "COCKPIT"  978 18403 70676 Nijboer and Patterson 1998.   A4 sized colour photographs  of 37 different  2WW   cockpits, pilot's eye view, with a key to the fixtures and fittings   and a page of pilots' comments. Features  Gladiator----Warhawk---Zero-sen-------Yak3-----Me410   and  32 others.    About £25 if you buy it,  no cost at all from the library, unless I keep it too long and have  late return charges to pay.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Radish

Love the Rennaissance Popes.....so damned corrupt it was wonderful. The Borgias Popes were without comparison!!
Loved the party where they rode whores in a race :o :o

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the "new" Sherlock Holmes stories. :party:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

The Wooksta!

Couple of nice little recipe books from a charity shop.  Quid each.  They had a few others that I would have liked to have got but funds are tight.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

karaya

First addition to may book stash, after long thinking to buy, or not to buy (vol. one on the shelf), and trying to found some way to cut the shipping cost  finally decided to by no mater what
Of course i managed to sold my trusty Olympus E-330 and immediately bought this:
TA DA!!!!! ;D

And now I just have to be patient waiting for the postman to deliver this beauty!

Mossie

A handful for my birthday last week:

Nimrod: Rise and and Fall by Tony Blackman
Miles M.52: Gateway to Supersonic Flight by Capt Eric Brown and Dennis Bancroft
Vickers Valiant: The First V-Bomber. Aerofax Guide by Eric B Morgan
(Thanks to Hobbes and PR19_Kit for recommendations on the last two, the Valiant book especially is even better than I thought it would be) :thumbsup:

None modelling related stuff:
Africa: Eye to Eye With the Unknown by Michael Bright (companion to the BBC series)
TV Cream Toys: Presents you Pestered Your Parents For by Steve Berry.  Expected this to be one of those Aww, thanks, straight on the back shelf gifts but it's nostalgia gold and it's doing the rounds at work at the moment!

And a Kindle reader, rendering all the above obsolete.... :o
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

The Valiant book is rather good.  I have all three of the V-bomber Aerofax books and can recommend them all.

I recently acquired a copy of "Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear" by Richard Connaughton. All about the Russo-Japanese War of 1905.  Fascinating.
Also recently acquired a copy of "The Devil's Chariots: The Birth and Secret Battles of the First Tanks" by John Glanfield.  Again, fascinating.

While I appreciate both a more than likely outside the scope of most Whiffers' interests I can recommend both.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

lancer

Again from the model show

Hikoki publications Russian Strategic Aviation Today, and doesn't it look good!!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McColm

Sam Publication endorsed by Airfix are running a Build & Convert series. Number three is 'Classic British Jets' complied by Gary Hatcher priced at £9.99.
There are 26 builds in 1/72 and 1/48 scale.
subjects covered are:
English Electric Canberra
English Electric Lightning
Gloster Meteor
Hawker Siddley Nimrod
Hawker Harrier
De Havilland Sea Vixen
Blackburn Buccaneer
V-Bombers
TSR 2

PR19_Kit

I got the 'Build and Covert' no. 3 the other day yoo, it's pretty darn good.

I also bit the bullet and bought 'Battle Flight' as well. My first reaction, after the 'Wow, this is great!' was 'How much of MY money have those clowns at the Procurement Executive thrown away on nothing since the end of WWII?'  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

"A Brief History of the Wars of the Roses". This is as a primer before I try and tackle Alison Weir's "Lancaster and York" again.  It's a very complicated period of history of which I know little about to my shame. My knowledge of English History starts with the Restoration I'm afraid but as I get older I want to know about earlier periods which tend to be very complicated to the modern mind  :banghead:

Alison Weir's book is excellent but you do need some basic knowledge to get the best out of it, whence the new buy. The family trees in Alison's books are amazing. As far as I can see some of the women married into all of the families mainly due to the early demiise of their husbands and in some cases appear to be married to two people at once  :banghead: Well in the same year anyway !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

A couple of novels, for the above mentioned Kindle:

War of the Worlds by HG Wells
The Martian by Andy Weir

First one you all know, it's twenty odd years since I read it as a teenager, so I thought it was due another outing.  Better than I remember, although I still think the ending was a little abrupt and convienient!

The Martian cropped up as a reccomendation after reading War of the Worlds, although the only real link is Mars.  It tells the story of an astronaut abandoned on Mars after being assumed dead and his attempt to stay alive.  Only part way through it but it's very good and as a bonus, only 77 pennies! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Not a book, but Aeroplane Collectors' Archive have a series of cutaways and archive images of 'Early post-war British Airliners'. For £7.95 you get plently of photos/drawings of the following;
Avro Lancastrain
Short Stirling
Avro York
De Havilland Dove
Handley Page Marathon
Handley Page Hermes
De Havilland Heron
Cunliff-Owen Concordia
Bristol Brabazon
Vikers Viking
Handley Page Halton
Airspeed Consul
Avro Tudor
Bristol 170 Freighter
Avro Anson and XIX
Airspeed Ambassador

Aircav

From the Helicopter Museum, Fairey Rotodyne by David Gibbings, lots of pics and drawings.
From FAA Museum, De Havilland Mosquito Vol1 and 2, Vol1 by Stuart Howe and Vol2 by Ian Thirsk, shed load of pics.
From Tank Museum, Armoured and Heavy vehicles of the RUC by David Dunne, again lots of pics.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Aircav on March 06, 2013, 10:55:04 AM
From the Helicopter Museum, Fairey Rotodyne by David Gibbings, lots of pics and drawings.

Worth every penny, a cracking book!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie