My Library just grew again 2013

Started by Rheged, January 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Coffee at Costa in Waterstones, Carlisle.  On my way out, I noticed a copy of this  displayed:-

http://www.ivypress.co.uk/books/steampunk-accessories/

Is this of interest to anyone??
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McGreig

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2013, 05:41:17 AM
I didn't even know there WERE any WWI ones! Isn't the series sub titled 'WWII.......'?

Yes, there were at least five volumes of "Fighters" of WW1. Same publisher and format as the William Green books, but they were written by JM Bruce.

Used copies of Volumes 1,2,3 and 5 are currently on Amazon at prices ranging from £1.75 to £19.99. And somebody is offering a set of all five for £80!

Logan Hartke

I got the 10 of those last night for $20 USD.

Cheers,

Logan

Hobbes

Arrived today after some mishaps (it was sent to my office, who then sent it to a customer by mistake  :rolleyes:)

AEW: Design, development and operations (Mike Hirst)
Turing's cathedral (George Dyson)
Not much of an engineer (sir Stanley Hooker)
Pegasus: the heart of the Harrier (Andrew Dow)

NARSES2

Quote from: McGreig on March 28, 2013, 07:54:01 AM
were at least five volumes of "Fighters" of WW1. Same publisher and format as the William Green books, but they were written by JM Bruce.

I've 3 of them and as I'm away from home couldn't check the author, so sorry for any confusion Kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 29, 2013, 04:07:45 AM
were at least five volumes of "Fighters" of WW1. Same publisher and format as the William Green books, but they were written by JM Bruce.

I've 3 of them and as I'm away from home couldn't check the author, so sorry for any confusion Kit.

No probs Chris. Not being the world's greatest fan of aircraft with two wings and lots of string I had NO idea that the pocket books extended that far back. I still wish he'd finished the range off properly.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 29, 2013, 06:47:20 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 29, 2013, 04:07:45 AM

No probs Chris. Not being the world's greatest fan of aircraft with two wings and lots of string I had NO idea that the pocket books extended that far back. I still wish he'd finished the range off properly.  :banghead:

I have exactly one of those books, in the WWII fighter range.  I remember reading them all as a kid, borrowing them from the library and enjoying them immensely.   I have two of the larger ones he did on ""Famous Fighters of WWII" (which used basically the same format and info but in a larger book size).  I'd like to get more of the small ones on bombers and flyingboats/floatplanes but they are rather expensive nowadays.  I see there is a complete set on Bookfinder available from South Africa for $US180!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on March 29, 2013, 06:17:30 PM
No probs Chris. Not being the world's greatest fan of aircraft with two wings and lots of string I had NO idea that  I have two of the larger ones he did on ""Famous Fighters of WWII" (which used basically the same format and info but in a larger book size). 

Memories  ;D I've 5 of the larger ones (3 fighter and 2 bomber). They were presents back in the 60's from mum and dad at Xmas or birthdays. They are still well thumbed, fond memories
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

remeberance of the darleks.  watched it on telly, got the dvd, now its time to read the book
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

The Wooksta!

IIRC, the book expands on the TV version.  It was always considered to be one of the best of the range.  Been a long time since I've read it - at least twenty years - but it's a good one.

I've the original Target edition, signed by the cover artist and Sylvester McCoy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Kerrillc

Whiled away the time by getting some e-books from the Smashwords site.

They are: The Whale Has Wings (an alternative history of the FAA).

HA-300 Messerschmitt's last fighter

and lastly Adolf Hitler and His Airship: An Alternate History
This last is described as a work of fiction, satire and parody.

I learned about Smashwords from the Alternatehistory website. There are some very interesting stories, articles and even picture threads.

In order to read the stories you have to be a member. Here's the address: www.alternatehistory.com
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

Steel Penguin

the UNIT sourcebook for the Cubicle 7 Dr who RPG, defending the earth from just abought anything.
Bill Brysons Australia.  i like his travel books so am looking forward to this.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Aircav

La Jeep Dans L'Armee Francaise, 1943-1954 by Paul Gaujac from the lovely Wendy at the Sword and Lance show today.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

The Wooksta!

Above Top Secret, Alien Liaison and Need to Know by Timothy Good

Secrets of the Unified Field,
Roswell and the Reich
Saucers, Swastikas and Psy-Ops
All by Joseph P Farrell.  I'm also awaiting his Giza Death Star trilogy with baited breath.  It's so out there mad that it must be worth reading for entertainment value alone.  The Roswell book was superb.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Howard of Effingham

at the milton keynes show yesterday i nabbed myself a copy of....  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Victor Boys by Tony Blackman

published in 2012 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the HP Victor.
Keeper of George the Cat.