My Library just grew again 2013

Started by Rheged, January 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Pre-ordered the new Pratchett today for £10 from Waterstones. Published next Thursday  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Kerrillc

Been having a splurge for my library.

Flypast Specials for the following: Swordfish, Sunderland and Wellington

Aeroplane Monthly's Junkers Company Profile

Wings of the Navy by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown

Full Circle by Johnny Johnson

On order through Amazon:

The British Pacific Fleet - the Royal Navy's most powerful strike force

Fighter Exploits by Edward Sims
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 31, 2013, 08:56:22 AM
Pre-ordered the new Pratchett today for £10 from Waterstones. Published next Thursday  :thumbsup:

What new Pratchett, pray tell?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Kerrillc on October 31, 2013, 01:59:54 PM
The British Pacific Fleet - the Royal Navy's most powerful strike force

It's very good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

rickshaw

Spey_Phantom

Just Arrived  ;D

Thunderbirds: the comic collection

288 pages with artwork, 60's era comic book stories and technical data of the late Gerry Andersons Thunderbirds  :thumbsup:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

McColm

The Daily Prophet , five random pages from the Harry Potter films.Readable with a magnifying glass.

Ifor

I've often wondered if books contained calories whether if whenever I want to leave the house I have to be forklifted out. I'm sure that if I wanted to travel by sea they'd have to use on of those small container ships. Is it an obsession?

NARSES2

Picked up the new Pratchett "Raising Steam"  :thumbsup: from Waterstones, half price as I'd pre-ordered.

In Smiths I got "Wars of the Roses" by Conn Iggulden for £5 off and I had an extra £5 off voucher from them so added a 2014 (already  :banghead:) diary and saved £10 in all  ;D I enjoyed Iggulden's "Mongol" books so thought I'd give this a try. My knowledge of British history really only starts with the Glorious Revolution so if he has seriously messed with it the it won't irritate me to much.

Also got my "Legends of WWII" Calendar. Interesting choice of aircraft/marks and some really nice art work  :thumbsup: Recommended from the Calendar stalls now in most shopping centres.

Mosquito
Baltimore
Bombay - an ambulance version in the desert
Kittyhawk
Spitfire
Lysander
Sterling - glider tug, excellent painting
Wellington - magnetic mine destroyer version
Sunderland - in brown/green camo
Hurricane
Lancaster
Vengence
Blenheim IV

lancer

I get that calander every year. Once it's finished, and as you say, it gives some very nice artwork
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Green Dragon

Stuck On The Drawing Board by Richard Payne arrived from Amazon today. Some interesting stuff in there.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Green Dragon on November 07, 2013, 02:34:57 PM
Stuck On The Drawing Board by Richard Payne arrived from Amazon today. Some interesting stuff in there.

Oh yes, my copy is WELL thumbed by now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2013, 07:53:54 AM
I enjoyed Iggulden's "Mongol" books

Damn you, Chris.  You're doing my bank account no good at all at the moment.  ;D ;D ;D

As I've long been a Mongol Empire enthusiast, I'll now have to pick these up.  I assume they are worth it?  Never heard of this fellow, except I note he wrote "The Dangerous Book for Boys", which must be a good read, if only because of the title!  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on November 07, 2013, 03:50:36 PM

As I've long been a Mongol Empire enthusiast, I'll now have to pick these up.  I assume they are worth it?  Never heard of this fellow, except I note he wrote "The Dangerous Book for Boys", which must be a good read, if only because of the title!  ;D

Yup they are good reads. He's an ex teacher and writes good, readable English. Not sure how accurate they are, but who is sure regarding the detail of the time ?, the broad sweep matches my knowledge of the time however. He has spent time living with some herders out in Mongolia so he has a feel for the people themselves which comes through.

I've always had a soft spot for Ghengis and he's ilk. Militarily a genius of his time.