My Library just grew again 2013

Started by Rheged, January 03, 2013, 01:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 21, 2013, 07:37:54 AM
Agree with Brian's recommendation

My younger son (the military history graduate) reckons it's one of the best.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Kerrillc

From Amazon the following;

Whirlwind: Westland's Enigmatic Fighter by Niall Corduroy

Hitler's Forgotten Secret Weapon: The Amazing Story of the Heinkel He113 "Super Fighter" in the Battle of Britain by Leonard James

Handley Page - The First 40 Years; A Paperback "Advertorial" Book by Handley Page Limited. It was put together by the PR department of Handley Page while it was still in existence.

On-target Profile: No. 2: RAF & Commonwealth Mustang's by Jon Freeman. This last popped up on Facebook as a recommendation from Terry (radish) Campion, which I have found useful.

Kerrill
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

Mossie

The Devil's Chariots: The Origins and Secret Battles of Tanks in the First World War, by John Glanfield

Cheers for the recommendation guys. :thumbsup:  Read the first few chapters and it's a very good read so far.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Just finished reading SOE's Balls of Steel  :lol: and it's a cracking read.
All about the theft of Swedish steel, machinery and enough ball bearings for 800 Lancaster bombers in 2 daring operations. Trouble was the goods (fully paid for) were on Norwegian ships trapped in Swedish ports. So we stole them!

Army of One

Finally......! Many years ago I purchased a book which was one of four in a series. The series is called 'Aggressors'. The one I got originally was vol 1 Tankbuster v combat vehicle. For over 20yrs I wanted the other 3 but prices always seemed ridiculous. Anyhoo I found all three on ebay recently and now have vol 3 at home Interceptor v heavy bomber and was got for £3.73 free p+p. On the way are vol 2 Carrier power v fighting ship for just over £8 free p+p and vol 4 Patrol aircraft v submarine for just over £7 with free p+p. Well chuffed, the books are illustrated by Rikyu Watanabe are are awesome.....he is very skilled.
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

McColm

Picked up a copy of "The illustrated encyclopedia of aircraft part 134". Issued in 1984 by Orbis Publishing Ltd.
The main topic is the Boeing C-97 and Stratocruiser .Plenty of coloured photos and graphics with a cutaway drawing of the Boeing model 377.Covering the C-97 variants .There is a rare photo of the XC -97 prototype with the B&39 wings ,engines and short tail .Another interesting feature is the windows .Square for the military ,round and then changing to rectangular .

The Wooksta!

Richard Dolan - UFOs and the National Security State 1945-1973
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Steel Penguin

the FASA games version of the Dr Who RPG.  been after a read of it for years so when I found it 2nd hand today, I grabbed it.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Gondor

From ebay

The Hawker Typhoon including the Hawker Tornado  part of the Vanguard series of book on Airframe & Miniatures

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Howard of Effingham

from waterstones....

eric schlosser 'command and control'

as it says on the flap..... 'a groundbreaking account of accidents, near misses, extraordinary heroism and
technological breakthroughs, command and control explores the dilemma that has existed since the dawn of the
nuclear age: how do you deploy weapons of mass destruction without being destroyed by them?'

its been an eye-opening read!!!!
Keeper of George the Cat.

Ifor

Could you elaborate on the glitches in the Devils Chariots? I thought the book was excellent. I've read the New Excalibur and have yet to read The Band of Brigands and The Ironclads of Cambrai.

McColm

Two copies of Profile Publications,printed in 1966. Each has 16 pages with black and white photos with coloured profiles .They give an in-depth history from prototype to the last model.
The Lockheed Constellation has six various types of windshield and nose configurations .Military and airliner & combie .Who flew what and specification s

The De  Havilland Comet series 1-4
The same format mentioning the RAF and R
C.A. F.
Interesting reading  ideal for whiffing .

rickshaw

Quote from: Ifor on December 03, 2013, 03:13:46 AM
Could you elaborate on the glitches in the Devils Chariots? I thought the book was excellent. I've read the New Excalibur and have yet to read The Band of Brigands and The Ironclads of Cambrai.

I'd have to go back and reread it.  They were, at the time, obvious but minor mistakes about people IIRC.  As I said, he gets the basic gist right and you come away with the usual impression that the British were their own worst enemy at times.  Tank development was pretty ramshackle but I suspect typical of any new technology where people were feeling their way as they tried to figure out what worked and what didn't.  I often have difficulties with historians apply perfect hindsight to a subject likes this and "Devil's Chariots" comes away better than most IMO.

The matter of tank development makes an interesting contrast actually with Paddy Griffin's "Battle Tactics of the Western Front: British Army's Art of Attack, 1916-18" where you come away with the reverse impression - once they got organised, the British Army did rather better than they were always portrayed as doing.   Rather like Brown's "British Logistics of the Western Front" (fascinating book BTW and I simply cannot recommend it enough, it's well written and brings an otherwise rather dry subject alive).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on December 05, 2013, 04:09:18 PM

The matter of tank development makes an interesting contrast actually with Paddy Griffin's "Battle Tactics of the Western Front: British Army's Art of Attack, 1916-18" where you come away with the reverse impression - once they got organised, the British Army did rather better than they were always portrayed as doing.   Rather like Brown's "British Logistics of the Western Front" (fascinating book BTW and I simply cannot recommend it enough, it's well written and brings an otherwise rather dry subject alive).

Agree with you on those two books, and my reading of WWI would make me agree with Griffiith's view
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Father in Law arrived safe and sound. With a copy of Winchman-A life on the wire. The life story of Chris Murray, 22 years as a SARtech and other exploits in HMS ! Can't wait to read it !

:tornado: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?