Battlestar Habakkuk......the space aircraft carrier?

Started by seadude, January 07, 2013, 12:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

I think I recall in one series of SF novels the ships use ice as the shielding against weopons etc :unsure:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

deathjester

If it's any help, here's one I made a few years ago.  She was a Battlecarrier, with a huge hangar bay at the bow,  heavy weapons scattered at various points to give good arcs of fire, and extremely heavy AAA armament (ball turrets down the sides, top, bottom, front and back of conning tower).

You are welcome to use any aspects of this design that you like, as the model, regretably, no longer exists.

Weaver

Didn't somebody on here start (or even finish) a big space-carrier type thing based on a big toner cartridge from a printer?

Edit: 'twas Black Ops I think: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21155.30.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

seadude

Quote from: Weaver on January 11, 2013, 04:13:03 AM
Didn't somebody on here start (or even finish) a big space-carrier type thing based on a big toner cartridge from a printer?

Edit: 'twas Black Ops I think: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21155.30.html

All the pics from that thread are gone. :(
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Quote from: seadude on January 11, 2013, 06:45:42 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 11, 2013, 04:13:03 AM

All the pics from that thread are gone. :(

Bugger - thought it was just the works server blocking photobucket..... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

seadude

Sorry for gravedigging my own topic. But........I had a new idea last night.

About 2 or more months ago, I posted the following:

Quote from: seadude on March 15, 2014, 11:27:32 AM

Anyway.........just ordered this morning from Freetime Hobbies:
2 x Moebius Models Original Battlestar Galactica
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/moebius-original-battlestar-galactica-plastic-model-kit/

I plan to whif this sometime in the future. That's why I need the extra flight pods.

At first after looking at the Moebius instructions, there was no way to make a Battlestar with four flight pods due to the way the flight pod support arms were molded/constructed. But a bit of inspiration hit me last night. It might be possible to use the flight pod support arms from the new BSG.......
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/MOE915/
.......in order to support an upper pair of launching/landing flight pods. I really hate having to rob parts from my new BSG kit to use for the older BSG model, but......if I have to make this work, then so be it. I've been thinking: Why not a BSG to use for a Habakkuk space carrier? The BSG certainly looks the part. It's big, heavily armed and armored, can launch and land dozens of fighters. Anyway, here's some preliminary pics of the extra support arms and placement of the extra flight pods. Let me know what you think.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

lancer

That looks like a damm fine idea. Look forward to seeing the finished result. Can you imaging the air/space group would have??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

zenrat

Back to cored out ice asteroids.  I think it is an ideal material (especially if you are a life form evolved to live on worlds where the average temperature is below the freezing point of H2O).  The ice walls would stand up very well to kinetic weapons and their thermal mass could also dissipate the energy from CREWs* better than rock or metal.  Additional energy dissipation could be gained by embedding a conductive mesh below the surface of the ice (deep enough to avoid damage from kinetic projectiles).
Ice as a hull material also has the added benefit of making an ideal reaction mass while resulting in more living space.

*Coherent Radiation Emitting Weapons (laser, maser, anti-matter plasma beam etc)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Quote from: zenrat on May 03, 2014, 06:57:12 AM
Back to cored out ice asteroids.  I think it is an ideal material (especially if you are a life form evolved to live on worlds where the average temperature is below the freezing point of H2O).  The ice walls would stand up very well to kinetic weapons and their thermal mass could also dissipate the energy from CREWs* better than rock or metal.  Additional energy dissipation could be gained by embedding a conductive mesh below the surface of the ice (deep enough to avoid damage from kinetic projectiles).
Ice as a hull material also has the added benefit of making an ideal reaction mass while resulting in more living space.

*Coherent Radiation Emitting Weapons (laser, maser, anti-matter plasma beam etc)

No, no, and NO. I am not going to be building any sort of comet or asteroid ice spaceship and call that the Habakkuk.  :angry: If somebody else wants to do it, then fine. But I'm sticking to more traditional spaceship designs, materials, etc., etc.

zenrat

I wasn't saying you should do it, just that as a construction material it is suitable.

BTW, when you build your 1/350 Habakkuk I think you should knock up a small refrigeration plant and actually make it from ice... ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Getting back to this.........

Been doing some work on the Moebius Original BSG kits I have. I want to do a BSG with four flight pods as you see in the pics further above in one of my posts. But I'm concerned that after placement and gluing, the pods may end up being too widespread and looking like the following which I don't want:

Another option might be something similar to this small pic I found which shows one flight pod right underneath the other.

Below are some pics of possible configurations and options. Which do you think would be better?

scooter

What about inverting the second set of flight pods, like on the Pegasus?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

QuoteWhat about inverting the second set of flight pods, like on the Pegasus?

I'm not too keen on that. Then that means Vipers are inverted (Upside down) when landing and launching from the secondary flight pods. I never understood why this was done on the NuBSG tv show with the Pegasus. Seemed like a stupid concept.  :angry:

Madoc

Well, if you've got gravitational field control such that you can "generate" your own gravitational pull in any direction you wish, then why not do them inverted?

Or, why not set both sets of landing bay pods aside each other but perpendicular to the rest of the ship?  That way, both sets of landing bay pods on either side of the ship would be parallel to each other - no one being "up" right next to the other's being "down."

But then, if you've got technology such that you can generate your own gravitational pull in any direction you wish you have a propulsion system that is orders of magnitude more efficient than those big honkin' rocket engines driving the Battlestars to begin with and thus don't need all that massive and glowy rocket engine stuff hanging off the back of your spaceship to begin with.

That however, is a subject for an other discussion entirely...
Wherever you go, there you are!

jcf