Evangelion: Rei Ayanami in 3.0 movie plugsuit [Kit conversion]

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 09, 2013, 02:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

No, not a double post, but the result of a conversion project I did late last year. For some background: the third NGE film hit the Japanese movies in late 2012, and with it the visitors received a free artbook, which quickly popped up in the WWW.

Well, among others, a new plugsuit design for the character Rei Ayanami appeared - with unusual dark colors and different details to the former white suit(s). That was inspiration and challenge enough to try to build this figure by myself, since no garage kit was (and AFAIK is yet) available:

New clothes! Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

New clothes! Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I am not a sculptor, so I decided to convert a (recast) kit from my stash - an ugly, tiny thing in 1:8 (it's rather 1:9.5 or so!) with good proportions, a nice face but poor production quality, holding the Longinus Spear above the head:

1:8 Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit (Kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Beyond many different suit details, I decided to omit the Spear and change the left arm position into a more neutral, standing pose. I'll spare you from exhaustive WiP details concerning the build and painting excepts for two pics. More can be found in my respective FlickR album, though, at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/sets/72157632225734001/with/8277953649/

1:8 Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit (Kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and that's what finally became of it - certainly not a masterpiece, with all the putty and sanding work and the poor basic kit, but I am quite happy with it:

1:8 Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit (Kit conversion) - on black by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:8 Rei Ayanami - Evangelion 3.0 Plugsuit (Kit conversion) - on black by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<