Albert Robida's vision of the 20th Century

Started by puddingwrestler, January 09, 2013, 05:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

One of the influences on my urge to built Steampunk and VSF things for a whole month has been teh work of Albert Robida, a Frenchman who, in the 1880s and 90s produced some lovely illustrations of what he thought the next century would look like.
Robida's 20th century is filled with fish-shaped aircraft, rotating platform houses and rather large pipes. Also projector TVs diplaying scantily clad (by 19th century standards!) females performing exotic dances.
He's also responsible (I believe) for the wonderfully named 'L'torpedile infectious'! whihc I've probably spelled wrong. To get the right effect, read it out in your best outrageous french accent.
Here's a link to his WIkipedia page.
And here are a number of his images:

(I am making a house based on this idea)

I must say, his airships put me in mind of the fascinating Winans' Cigar Ships. Who would've thought such things were actually built?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

Nice one - I've got a lot of Robida illustrations in a book on Sci-Fi art. They range from the entertainingly bonkers to the scarily prescient, don't they?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

No prizes for guessing which ones I favour...

PR19_Kit

You must have loved the IPMS UK National Champion model then?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

Not something we colonials got to see I am afraid. I don't really follow the modelling contests.

PR19_Kit

I think there was at least one piccie of it in our reports of the Nationals, but in essence it was a steampunk monowheel monocycle with the engine and seat INSIDE the wheel and modelled in a BIG scale, maybe 1/12? It was shown on a street corner base with a delightfully modelled girlie rider alongside.

I'll try and find a piccie of it to post here.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

OK, I give up.  :banghead:

Where the DEVIL are the piccies from the 2012 Telford Show? I've worn the search functioun out and can't find them anywhere.  :unsure:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Apologies to Aircav for linking this from his photobucket account:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That's the one, thanks very much Weaver.  :thumbsup:

Superb modelling, superb thought processes and amazing nerve in even thinking of entering it in the Nats!

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Wow, some wonderful stuff there. I must look for more of this!

I hadn't seen that Monobike before either - love it! I expect it must have hugely annoyed a lot of the traditionalists. Which is a good thing. ;D I do wonder though, about the placement of the pilot/rider - I think she'd burn her hand...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

There's a fantastic in-progress thread for the monobike over on fichtenfoo.net. LINK Entertaining and enlightening!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ericr

it is indeed fascinating. I read a whole article on Robida in the three-monthly journal of the College of 'Pataphysics : they are big fans!
Maybe that kind of What-If modelling could pretend for a Chair in the College ...

puddingwrestler

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2013, 09:05:13 AM
That's the one, thanks very much Weaver.  :thumbsup:

Superb modelling, superb thought processes and amazing nerve in even thinking of entering it in the Nats!

You mean the Nats are THAT opposed to imagination? Gadzooks sir! Steampunk is entering the mainstream now!
(says he who has NEVER entered a straight build in anything. Ever.)

Doc Yo

I like Robida's work quite a lot myself. While his aeronefs were pretty whimsical, his ships weren't all that
far from French Naval architecture of the time ;D

Wrestler, dear colleague, since you like the Winans ships, you might like to know there's a card model
of one of their last, the yacht Ross Winans availble here :

http://www.waldenfont.com/papermodels/default.asp

NARSES2

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 10, 2013, 09:48:23 AM

I hadn't seen that Monobike before either - love it! I expect it must have hugely annoyed a lot of the traditionalists. Which is a good thing. ;D I do wonder though, about the placement of the pilot/rider - I think she'd burn her hand...

Strangely I didn't hear any gripes, not to say there wern't any, most people simply recognised it as a wonderfull pice of modelling. I think the UK "scene" is becoming far more open to ideas and in all honesty we the Brotherhood of Wiffery are in some small measure responsible for that  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.