What happened to the original site?

Started by Nick, January 13, 2013, 04:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I've been looking for a short story I wrote probably 10 years ago and the Search engine here can't find it. Therefore it must have been before this board got going as it is now. So what happened to all that old stuff?

FWIW the story involved the Black Watch fighting the VietCong, charging through the elephant grass to the sounds of bagpipes howling....  :thumbsup:

JayBee

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2013, 04:34:34 AM
the sounds of bagpipes howling....  :thumbsup:

I take it that our young Englishman means "the Skirling of the Pipes".  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

JayBee

Quote from: Martin H on January 13, 2013, 07:12:07 AM
No. He was right the first time lol

Sometime Martin, I must tell you how my Father's Father imitated the bagpipes. He like my father were both born in the Portsmouth region. 

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Nick

I was fortunate enough  :rolleyes:  to sit through an episode of Downton Abbey over Christmas. They had a lovely scene where the piper marched through the dining room before dinner. The look on Hugh Bonneville's face was perfect, a fixed polite smile and a look of sheer agony in his eyes!

JayBee

The Pipes should never be listened to in an enclosed space.
The best is to hear a solitary Piper way out in a highland glen somewhere. (He has most probably ben thrown out the house for practising inside and has gone up there to be out of the way).
That is when you hear the true magic of the Pipes.

Cats are not real. 

The Rat

I've been looking for a short story I wrote probably 10 years ago and the Search engine here can't find it. Therefore it must have been before this board got going as it is now. So what happened to all that old stuff?

There was a bit of a crash a few years ago if I recall correctly, lot of early stuff was lost. Some of mine are gone too.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Steel Penguin

im certain taht ive read something simaler on this site, an alt history Veitnam stoey with UK forces involved, but i cant find it,  possibly going back through the alt history section may prove fruitful....
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Rheged

Quote from: JayBee on January 13, 2013, 05:41:03 AM
the sounds of bagpipes howling....  :thumbsup:

I take it that our young Englishman means "the Skirling of the Pipes".  :rolleyes:

I'm told that (until it was ruled a"cruel and unusual" punishment)  particularly revolting miscreants were locked in a small room  with volunteers from the Black Watch Pipe Band and  "skirled  until insensible"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet