I'm gonna build an EE Lightning

Started by Captain Canada, January 14, 2013, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Thorvic on December 16, 2013, 06:16:13 AM
The new Airfix F-2A is really  nice and looks to be followed by a  F-6 next year

Should take at least 5 mins to do that change.....

Fill in the gun ports in the nose and/or move them to the belly tank, extend the cable harness shroud forward a little bit, swap the Firestreaks for Red Tops and the job's done.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2013, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: Thorvic on December 16, 2013, 06:16:13 AM
The new Airfix F-2A is really  nice and looks to be followed by a  F-6 next year

Should take at least 5 mins to do that change.....

Fill in the gun ports in the nose and/or move them to the belly tank, extend the cable harness shroud forward a little bit, swap the Firestreaks for Red Tops and the job's done.  ;D

Looking at some of the parts Kit, I think you can already do that -- there's an in-box review on The Airfix Tribute Forum
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 16, 2013, 06:41:36 AM

The layout of the parts suggest some 'short' tank options too ???

Makes sense. Short tank, new wings and a choice of fail fin  along with short or long cable ducts and that's almost all your single seat versions covered.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Do you have one already Robert or are you looking at a review ? I can't wait to see one....what a machine. Still regret not spending enough time perusing them at Waddington last summer. I was rather chuffed to touch it tho.....wow
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I was looking at the sprues in a review Todd, the whole forward end of the tank is a seperate bit.  Also there's two pairs of little pieces for the gun ports which have different shapes.  It has a fairly decent cockpit but the gem in my opinion, is the intake duct right back to the engine fronts.  Seems to be the 'in-thing' with the new Airfix jets these days.  Very nice addition ---

Captain Canada

Thanks for the info Robert. Sounds nice ! Maybe use those intake ducts on bigger models like the old Matchbox Victor ?

On this first quick build, I'm going RCAF in ADV grey with Genies on the side. I was thinking of overwing tanks ( one grey and one camo, I just like that look too much ) or :

-one tank and one AIM-4D ?
-one Falcon on each side
-2 double Falcon launchers

What say you, whiffing Comrades ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Scooterman

Maybe change it a bit, have one Genie and one tank above the wings with the Falcons on the fuselage stations?

Falcon doesn't weigh all that much....howsabout overwing bags, Genie on fuse with AIM-4 on the little seen outer wing pylons?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 18, 2013, 06:01:09 PM
Maybe use those intake ducts on bigger models like the old Matchbox Victor ?

They'd be a bit small for a Victor, those Conways ATE air by the cubic mile, plus the Lightning ducts go downard to clear the cockpit and the Victor ducts just go straight back.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

As much as I like the idea of a Canadian Lightning, it makes SO little sense... with its short legs it would have never been even a vague choice, even with drop tanks. Maybe as a spot defence for big cities, though, in the era when Soviet bombers were expected to come across the North Pole...?

albeback

Anything involving English Electric's finest is worth doing! :thumbsup:

I have a slightly more radical idea for a single engined Lightning using the KP Sukhoi SU-7 fuselage & tail fin fitted with Lightning cockpit,belly tank, wings & undercarriage. Side intakes similar to the Sukhoi T-49 & a larger nose radome. Armament to consist of 2 x 30mm cannons, 2 radar guided BFMs (Big F*****g Missiles) on over wing mounts with a pair of Red Top missiles on the under wing mounts.

I chose the Sukhoi mainly because it has a HUMUNGOUS engine under the bonnet!!Something this beast will need. Haven't had the courage to start yet. Need a couple more glasses of Isle of Jura 16 year old malt first!! ;D

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Captain Canada

Take off from Churchill Falls or Resolute.

Straight up and roll out in 60 seconds.

Throw a few Genies at the Rooskies.

Back to earth and repeat.

Makes sense to me !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: albeback on December 19, 2013, 04:45:27 AM
Anything involving English Electric's finest is worth doing! :thumbsup:

I have a slightly more radical idea for a single engined Lightning using the KP Sukhoi SU-7 fuselage & tail fin fitted with Lightning cockpit,belly tank, wings & undercarriage. Side intakes similar to the Sukhoi T-49 & a larger nose radome. Armament to consist of 2 x 30mm cannons, 2 radar guided BFMs (Big F*****g Missiles) on over wing mounts with a pair of Red Top missiles on the under wing mounts.

I chose the Sukhoi mainly because it has a HUMUNGOUS engine under the bonnet!!Something this beast will need. Haven't had the courage to start yet. Need a couple more glasses of Isle of Jura 16 year old malt first!! ;D

Allan

Has been done here before (two or three years ago), and it looks nice! I have a similar project on the list, but I'll use a Kh-20 "Kangaroo" missile for the fuselage (for a different approach and look  ;D), mating this with wings/fin from a Novo Lightning.

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 19, 2013, 06:16:20 AM
Take off from Churchill Falls or Resolute.

Straight up and roll out in 60 seconds.

Throw a few Genies at the Rooskies.

Back to earth and repeat.

Makes sense to me !

:thumbsup:

I'm thinking of a similar scenareo, only they're used as CF-105 base defence fighters.  In the Arrowhead book on the Cf-105, there's some maps showing how one base' radius of action overlaps another, what's conveniently forgotton is that if an Arrow flew to another base, it couldn't get back to it's own base should it not be able to land at the other.  I'm saying this because if I was an attacking force, I'd send some of my planes to take out those bases ---- Having Lightnings on hand would help nullify that ---