I'm gonna build an EE Lightning

Started by Captain Canada, January 14, 2013, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi Guys,
    I recently bought an Airfix F.2/F.6A for the princely sum of $23 CDN ( no tax either ;-)  I have the Martin H. Bowman book ( given to me by a member here, whom I have forgotten, but owe one big time. PS, if you're said offender, pls tell me so I can thank you again ! )
    Anyway, since it's such a beautiful brute of an aeroplane, and that book is chock full of great pics, I figured I'd just peruse it and pick the coolest photo and build that one. Then I thought, since it's such a big model, I could really go all out and do it up proper. Which leads us to the very point of this topic.

Who ? What ? When ? Instead of the Starfighter based in Canada as a trainer ? Over at Baden ? Maybe a NORAD fighter in place of the Voodoo ? There are so many cool squadrons and colours from the era that it would be hard to pick just one, so I'm grateful for any input.

Cheers !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loneprimate/379924746/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awe-snap/6636771639/

Just BMF with leafy roundels and red tailplanes (maybe the Red Tops too?) would be incredibly attractive. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Scooterman

RCAF Germany overall dark green/greywith lo-vis (no white) roundels and black markings?

The Rat

QuoteI'm gonna build an EE Lightning
[/b]

Trust me, nobody here is going to try to stop you!  ;D

Might want to think in terms of cold weather operations. The range was pretty short, and if you want to hit those pesky Russians before they get too far they would need to be based around the periphery. Not sure how much it was tested for that; the U.K. doesnt often get hot, but it doesn't often get brutally cold either. (But they'll still complain about the weather anyway!)
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on January 14, 2013, 08:44:36 PM
........the U.K. doesnt often get hot, but it doesn't often get brutally cold either. (But they'll still complain about the weather anyway!)

I'll have you know it got down as low as -2C last night! For us that'll mean we'll be thinking in terms of supply drops before lunchtime............

As for an RCAF Lightning, that sounds like an absolute BELTER of an idea, go for it.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2013, 11:28:27 PM
Quote from: The Rat on January 14, 2013, 08:44:36 PM
........the U.K. doesnt often get hot, but it doesn't often get brutally cold either. (But they'll still complain about the weather anyway!)

I'll have you know it got down as low as -2C last night! For us that'll mean we'll be thinking in terms of supply drops before lunchtime............

As for an RCAF Lightning, that sounds like an absolute BELTER of an idea, go for it.  :thumbsup:

They are talking about the possibility of -12C  in rural areas near me in the next few days.    I'll just have to do what   an acquaintance in Northern Iceland suggested  " Up here,we just sharpen our toe-nails,which is all the better to grip the ice, and proceed regardless!"

As Kit says, It's a belter of an idea and I too am all in favour.  Either a point-defence RCAF lo-vis machine at Baden or  a trainer in Canada (all gloss black, perhaps) would be interesting.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Cobra

Sounds Like a Superb,Kick Arse Idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How About Doing it in a Red/White Scheme with Leafy Rouindels and Shark's Mouth as Part of an Elite RCAF Squadron? Hope to see Pics When You have this Canadian Arse Kicker Ready to Roll :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Mossie

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 14, 2013, 05:08:37 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loneprimate/379924746/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awe-snap/6636771639/

Just BMF with leafy roundels and red tailplanes (maybe the Red Tops too?) would be incredibly attractive. :thumbsup:

How about Genies instead of Red Top?  This was proposed for the UK as the EE P.23 but we couldn't afford them.

If your bothered about the variant, Genie was planned for the F.3.  Conversion to an F.3 from your kit is possible with a fair bit of work (had the smaller tank and earlier wing), or you could convert to a F.3A simply by building it as an F.6, fill the cannon ports and leave off the overwing tanks.

Oh, and must have Lightning stripes, obviously! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

captain!

'ow about adorning your RCAF lightning with one of the special schemes that they put on the CF-101's prior to their retirement from service?

very colorful options indeed.....  ;D

great idea.
Keeper of George the Cat.

The Rat

Oooh, just a sec, I've had an idea...

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mossie

Yes :thumbsup:

Found the Genie option, JCF posted it in the Lightning thread, about half way down the page:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,279.30.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Genie + ZELL + overwing tanks + based in Whitehorse and Yellowknife = range, shmange we'll be in those Red
fuzzy bunnies faces afore they know what hit'em.

;D

Weaver

Don't forget to buy more tankers though: the RAF used to scramble a Victor at the same time they scrambled the QRA Lightnings....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm thinking the RCAF could have used them alongside the Voodoo. Launch them first to get up there and then the Voodoos followed.....leaning towards NMF with red or orange and maybe 441 checker type markings. Have to research a few squadrons still tho.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Martin H

Quote from: Weaver on January 16, 2013, 04:54:51 AM
Don't forget to buy more tankers though: the RAF used to scramble a Victor at the same time they scrambled the QRA Lightnings....

I can remember watching a Lightning QRA scramble from the tower at Binbrook. One of the traffic boys looked at his watch as the wheels left the concrete, and said out loud..."ok! If he hasnt found the tanker in 15 minutes, we scramble the SAR bird"
Cue puzzled cadet (not me) asking what he means. "Simple kid. 15 minutes and he is out of fuel unless he finds the tanker to fill up."
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.