USAF ANG markings/schemes

Started by rickshaw, January 15, 2013, 05:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I'm researching USAF ANG markings/schemes.  I need to know when the light grey air superiority finish was introduced and which colours were used.  I'm also interested in the various fighter/interceptor squadrons which might have been operating in the 1960s and 1970s (they may have been disbanded since) and what their markings were.  Does anybody have any info/pictures?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

The color was "Aircraft Grey", glossy finish, FS 16473.

scooter

Any particular airframe?

119th FS, the fighter component of the 177th TFG/FIG/FIW/FW flew 100s and 105s in SEAC four color (As a Tactical Fighter Squadron), followed by 106s until 1988.

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

pyro-manic

Xtracolour/Xtracrylix does a decent ADC Gray 16473. Nice colour, as much as grey can ever be nice.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, the grey was introduced with the F-106 and the F-4; before that, ANG machines were left NMF, with some sqaudron markings or contrast colors. The earliest ANG aircraft I know are P-51Hs from 1947 onwards, all - excepts for some target tug aircraft - NMF.

rickshaw

Thanks everybody.

Does anybody know where the light grey was introduced?  I'd prefer it over trying to do bare metal and as I'm after an interceptor squadron, the light grey would be perfect.

I need a fighter/interceptor squadron which was serving in the late 1960s-early 1970s, preferably in one of the northern states bordering Canada.   Any ideas?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 19, 2013, 08:24:02 PM
I need a fighter/interceptor squadron which was serving in the late 1960s-early 1970s, preferably in one of the northern states bordering Canada.   Any ideas?

How about the Minnesota ANG? They flew F-89 Scorpions out of Minneapolis-St Paul Int from 1958 till 1968 and the aircraft were finished in the all-grey scheme. One of them still exists in that scheme at the Minn ANG Museum currently on the same site as the unit's original alert hangar.

http://www.mnangmuseum.org/exhibits/F-89%20Info.pdf
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

NDANG's 119th FIW, flying Scorpions, Daggers, Voodoos and Phantoms (late 70s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/119th_Wing
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on January 20, 2013, 05:33:46 AM

"NDANG"?   North Dakota?   I'm not familiar with US abbreviations for the states.  :blink:

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2013, 02:10:07 AM

How about the Minnesota ANG? They flew F-89 Scorpions out of Minneapolis-St Paul Int from 1958 till 1968 and the aircraft were finished in the all-grey scheme. One of them still exists in that scheme at the Minn ANG Museum currently on the same site as the unit's original alert hangar.

So, the grey appeared in the late 1960s then?  Looks like this may all come together.  Excellent!   :thumbsup:

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on January 20, 2013, 06:30:19 AM
Quote from: scooter on January 20, 2013, 05:33:46 AM

"NDANG"?   North Dakota?   I'm not familiar with US abbreviations for the states.  :blink:

Yep, North Dakota, don'tcha know.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

deathjester

Quote from: rickshaw on January 20, 2013, 06:31:25 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2013, 02:10:07 AM

So, the grey appeared in the late 1960s then?  Looks like this may all come together.  Excellent!   :thumbsup:
Err, no.  Try April 1956, with the introduction of the F-102 to the 327th FIS, at George AFB in California.  Got a colour pic here  of a -102 in grey, with black radome.

rickshaw

Hehe, even better!  1950s?  Great!  My interceptor can sport it then.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 20, 2013, 09:30:37 PM
Hehe, even better!  1950s?  Great!  My interceptor can sport it then.  ;D

Brian's on a roll now, I can't wait to see the result!  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Evil laughter from Downunder....   :wacko:

Found some F-102 decals for the NW states' ANG.  They'll form the basis I think.