Hawker Seahawk II

Started by loupgarou, January 21, 2013, 03:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

I am a slow builder (and slower painter) but this one, inspired by a build in 1/48 found exploring the forum old pages, turned me on.
As I had the chance of buying a big lot of mostly ex-Frog russian issues, ex-Heller SMER, and KP kits on evilbay.de, I have a cheap ( about 2 euro each) stash.
I found that the old Frog Seahawk and the venerable Airfix MiG-15 (the really old one) join seamlessly. Started saturday, took the photos just before starting PSR...R...R   :rolleyes:
It's a pity that this aircraft arrived in squadron service too late to fight in Korea with the RAN, so no Asia GB, it will have to take part in the Suez fighting.

p.s. inside wing fence removed, what appears in photo is the trace.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

I think I have that Seahawk kit half built. Stymied by the lack of anything you could call a cockpit.
May I suggest changing the vertical tail? Something swept would match the wings and horizontal stabilizers.
Any thoughts on a color scheme yet?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

loupgarou

Hmmm, even the real swept wing Seahawk kept the straight fin and rudder.
What I should do is reduce the sweep of the horizontal tail. I really have to do it :rolleyes:
Cockpit ? What cockpit?  ;D
I'll put a seat inside if I feel really nice  ;)
Colour scheme: the Suez one.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Daryl J.

Father Ennis

I might suggested that you just get something aftermarket for your cockpit. If nothing else,a period ejection seat and something simple for the rest. OR, go full bore and use a complete resin and pe cockpit from whatever you can find "reasonablly priced".  But,scratch building one is loads of fun,too.  As for the tail,I'm in favor of a T-tail,myself. Looking great though ,so keep up the good work...

Captain Canada

Nice ! Looking forward to seeing some more

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Looking good - that'll get a few double-takes!  :banghead:

Quote from: loupgarou on January 21, 2013, 03:56:16 PM
Hmmm, even the real swept wing Seahawk kept the straight fin and rudder.

But that was only a temporary bodge to get it flying ASAP. Had the p.1052 gone into production, it would probably have had swept surfaces similar to the P.1081.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

flappydaffy

The Wooksta!

The late trials with P.1052 had swept tailplanes and the acorn fin leading edge bullet.  The old Maintrack resin kit gave options for both back ends and tailplanes.

The intakes also moved forward.  It's not just a case of affixing a swept wing.

And who says that it couldn't have flown in Korea?  The prototype Sea Hawk was flying before 1950 IIRC and with "super priority" attached to the programme and Slattery able to convince the fishheads, early examples may have entered service before the end of the Korean war, which doesn't necessarily have to end in 1953...

An Attacker with Korean stripes is more likely though.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 22, 2013, 06:28:53 AM
The late trials with P.1052 had swept tailplanes and the acorn fin leading edge bullet.  The old Maintrack resin kit gave options for both back ends and tailplanes.

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I'll have to detach/saw the tailplanes  :banghead:, I agree they are really too swept back.
But, gentlemen, this is whif world, we cannot be TOO realistic, can we?  ;D I have to leave something different/implausible  :lol:

The Wooksta!

Quote from: loupgarou on January 22, 2013, 01:32:47 PM
But, gentlemen, this is whif world, we cannot be TOO realistic, can we?  ;D I have to leave something different/implausible  :lol:

No, I disagree entirely.  The more realistic the whiff, the better.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Tophe

There are different opinions. I disagree with the Wooksta and I feel closer to loupgarou ;) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Father Ennis

It has always been my opinion that if you made a model of it,you were the "authority" on it.  That is, unless it is a model of the real thing or after a prototype or paper design you are modeling. It's easy to forget that in our own Wiffey Worlds whatever we make are the "only" true 100% CORRECT models.  It's simply a function of what other parameters you might put on them that can make them "uncorrect" in any way.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 22, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on January 22, 2013, 01:32:47 PM
But, gentlemen, this is whif world, we cannot be TOO realistic, can we?  ;D I have to leave something different/implausible  :lol:

No, I disagree entirely.  The more realistic the whiff, the better.

The entire essence of building Whiff models is that we all have our OWN ideas as to what is 'better' and what isn't.............

Each point of view is just as valid as any other.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit