Airfield Control Tower Paint Scheme Query

Started by Cobra, January 26, 2013, 01:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, i was Just trying to Find Something on Google,Frustrated, i Decided to ask Here,Does Anyone know What Color the Base of an Airfield Control Tower is? I'm planning my Dio and Decided to Use a Tall Glass as the Control Tower! The Glass is Clalled a Funnel Glass,like the Kind you see at Fairs and Carnivals,it's Color is a Translucient Blue!  Thought I'd have to scuff it up before Painting, But Unsure What Color to Paint the Base. Thanks for Looking. Dan

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Dan it all depends just what you mean by the "base".
If you are talking about the ground that it stands on then it could be, as Alun says, concrete.
It could be tarmac.
It could be grass, in which case there would need to be path(s) leading to the entrance and they would be Concrtet/tarmac/gravel (or fancy paving slabs if it was a real posh establishment  :rolleyes:).
If on the other hand you are talking about a base colour to act as an undercoat then I would suggest either light grey/gray or white.
As to the main colour for the building there are no set guide lines that I am aware of, just do not make it too bright and gawdy as pilots are very easily distracted by anything visual. It is a well known fact that for many years the commonest phrase heard in the cockpit was............
"She's new insn't she?"

Control towers that I have worked in were:
Stornoway, basically white walls black roofs and natural wood.
Glasgow, Mosty white with black roofs, plus some natural brickwork.
Edinburgh, White walls, black roofs, and the steel girderwork that supported the VCR (Visual Control Room) was all light grey with a very slight light blue hint to it.

I have seen pictures in the past of some American Control Towers that are painted in large red and white chequers.

There you are Dan, that should leave you still not knowing what the He11 to do.
Have fun,

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

There is, of course  the major transport hub of North Ronaldsay  airport. The link below illustrates not only the control  building,but also the full range of  passenger facilities,cargo handling centre,airport vehicle, fuel facilities and the taxi office ...........and the public toilet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littled/45584407/
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

Quote from: Rheged on January 26, 2013, 09:33:56 AM
There is, of course  the major transport hub of North Ronaldsay  airport. The link below illustrates not only the control  building,but also the full range of  passenger facilities,cargo handling centre,airport vehicle, fuel facilities and the taxi office ...........and the public toilet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littled/45584407/

Obviously a civvie setup.  Bit posh compared to some of the Military strips I've flown into.  The ATC was lucky of they had an 11 x 11 tent (the Australian Army surprisingly still uses imperial measurements for tent sizes for some odd reason).   As for baggage handling and loading - what you carried on, you carried off, yourself.  ;D

Big control towers at big civvie airports are in my experience exclusively concrete from top to bottom (except the windows of course!).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cobra

FYI, I'm doing the Control Tower for an ASR Base that Belongs to the World Aquanaut Security Patrol! Wasn't Sure if i should Paint it like a Naval Air Station Control Tower or Not & What Color to Use! Dan

Rheged

Quote from: Cobra on January 26, 2013, 09:35:57 PM
FYI, I'm doing the Control Tower for an ASR Base that Belongs to the World Aquanaut Security Patrol! Wasn't Sure if i should Paint it like a Naval Air Station Control Tower or Not & What Color to Use! Dan

It sounds military.  Go by the usual military  procedure "If it moves, salute it,  if it stands  still paint it  white".Others in the group will  no  doubt   be able to confirm  this procedure  still  applies( or possibly not!)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Sounds as if you need to do some extensive research by watching Stingray!

If I remember correctly the control tower was white and red checks, large ones, but that is straight off the top of my head without checking so I could easily be wrong.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Quote from: Rheged on January 27, 2013, 01:33:02 AM

It sounds military.  Go by the usual military  procedure "If it moves, salute it,  if it stands  still paint it  white".Others in the group will  no  doubt   be able to confirm  this procedure  still  applies( or possibly not!)

Still holds true today downunder!  ;D  Do the cousins on the t'other side of the pond have something similar?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: rickshaw on January 28, 2013, 03:47:46 AM
Quote from: Rheged on January 27, 2013, 01:33:02 AM

Still holds true today downunder!  ;D  Do the cousins on the t'other side of the pond have something similar?

Yeah, pretty much.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.