A 1967 Corvette Roadster Gasser?

Started by Go4fun, January 29, 2013, 11:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Question: why on Earth is the front end up on spindly little legs like that?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

The body needs to be high to clear the monster rear tyres and the whole car needs to be light so it accelerates faster. And if the front is higher it helps to get more weight transfer as the car gets off the line, helping traction from the rear tyres.

In drag racing cornering ability doesn't count..........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Fair enough! Looks very awkward and flimsy.

Go4fun

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 03, 2013, 01:47:37 AM
Fair enough! Looks very awkward and flimsy.
[/color]

You have a heavy engine up front (as set by the rules of the class)and front-end weight is undesirable. So you threw all the heavy a-arm and suspension away and went with a lighter tube axle and the lesser number of leaf springs you could. Mine will be a 'Tube frame' car from the firewall forward.
You would make up the weight to the legal minimum with big truck battery(ies) in the trunk and possibly a 3 or 4 inch tube rear bumper filled with lead!
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Go4fun

Larry's plan is to make this a street legal dragster. Simply de-tuning it and putting more street worthy tires on it will make it a managable drive (except for rainy days as Dean sold the hard top and convertible top too!) and Winter.

pyro-manic

Quote from: Go4fun on February 03, 2013, 08:50:07 AM
You have a heavy engine up front (as set by the rules of the class)and front-end weight is undesirable. So you threw all the heavy a-arm and suspension away and went with a lighter tube axle and the lesser number of leaf springs you could. Mine will be a 'Tube frame' car from the firewall forward.
You would make up the weight to the legal minimum with big truck battery(ies) in the trunk and possibly a 3 or 4 inch tube rear bumper filled with lead!

Fair enough - I'd just be worried about the spindly front's ability to support said huge lump of engine.

Go4fun

I've looked at these things and I have to say some of them were right down scary looking in as far as strength versus weight, But that is the way they rolled.

Go4fun

(pyro will love this!  ;D )
So now to work on the front frame.
First the material then fittig and cutting.

Go4fun

When I need two pieces the same length I use the raised ridges on the top of my 'Exacto' (Not really) box to mark the second one. It's good enough for that first 'rough cut' to get it down to sandable size.

Captain Canada

Neat stuff. Gonna be cool to be able to see the frame bits underneath.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Go4fun

So I've cut the lower frame tube extra long and then added a crossmember in front. It is pretty much lined up, or as close as they did things in the 1960s.

Then I started on the crossmember that will partially support the front engine mount and front spring.

I'm also going to use mid-engine (Stock Style) mounts and a rear (Transmission) mount but I'm wondering about rear engine mounts.

Go4fun

So I named this "The Flying Glass Pig" as it in 'flys' (is fast) it is a fiberglass bodied car and some of the later smog choked ones were real pigs. So I did some rough work for decals.

I like the bottom one a little better but I really want it too look 'period' late 1960's correct.

Go4fun

Moving forward I think this will be the last of the 'big tubing' used in front of the firewall.

So on to the smaller tubes.

This will be getting one more small tube on each side right in front of the firewall to tie the top and bottom tubes together.

Captain Canada

Ya I like the bottom one better, but it still doesn't really look late '60s era. The pig itself does tho ! It should look more like script, as in writing, with a shadowing effect no ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?