BAe Super Lightning

Started by Snark, February 03, 2013, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 16, 2013, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 16, 2013, 06:13:15 PMWhy would you want to replace the Avons? They're more powerful than the J-57 or the J-79.........
I'm guessing these are very different than the early RR Avons developed in the late 1940's...

Of course they were.  They were an evolutionary development and essentially remained the same design throughout its service life.  There were tweaks, in order to rectify problems with surging, compressors, fan blades and so on.  However, that sort of thing was quite common in engines of the period.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

They were as different as the J-57s and J-79s were different to their early versions.

Replacing an early Avon by a J-57 or J-79 would not make much sense as a later Avon would have all the connections and mounting points in the right place to start with.

The RAF and FAA have direct experience of doing silly things that when they had the British Phantoms re-engined with R-R Speys. That cost a FORTUNE, took an age to do and arguably produced a worse result than if we'd have stayed with the J-79s in the first place. Certainly the 74 Sqdn. crews who flew the later J-79 engined F-4J-UKs reckoned they were far better than the Spey engined FG1s and FGR2s.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2013, 04:40:27 AM

The RAF and FAA have direct experience of doing silly things that when they had the British Phantoms re-engined with R-R Speys. That cost a FORTUNE, took an age to do and arguably produced a worse result than if we'd have stayed with the J-79s in the first place. Certainly the 74 Sqdn. crews who flew the later J-79 engined F-4J-UKs reckoned they were far better than the Spey engined FG1s and FGR2s.

I heard that the Spay engined Phantom was the most powerful engined Phantom, but also the slowest  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

eatthis

Quote from: Gondor on February 17, 2013, 05:04:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2013, 04:40:27 AM

I heard that the Spay engined Phantom was the most powerful engined Phantom, but also the slowest  :blink:

Gondor

i heard that too i can only assume the big bulge needed to stuff them in buggered the aerodynamics up
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Pellson

Gondor

Power vs aerodynamics for you. The aerodynamics in the supersonic speed regime got so much worse that it more than conuteracted the increased engine output. However, and this actually is interesting, the increased t/o power available with the RR Speys made the FG1 safer to operate from the relatively small carrier used in the RN than its J79 powered US sibling. The conversion was arguably dead expensive, that's true. But it actually improved performance in a very essential situation..  
:thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

While the Spey engined Phantoms were reputed to be the slowest, they were as noted the most powerful,  particularly in the lower speed regime, with plenty of extra air for the blown flaps.  They were also the most economical and so the RN/RAF Phantoms were the longest legged, another not inconsequential consideration, particularly in a naval aircraft.  Straight-line dash speed is useful to get to the dogfight but sustained turn and high thrust are what wins it.  Dogfighting doesn't occur at supersonic speeds.

eatthis

Quote from: rickshaw on February 17, 2013, 04:02:23 PM
While the Spey engined Phantoms were reputed to be the slowest, they were as noted the most powerful,  particularly in the lower speed regime, with plenty of extra air for the blown flaps.  They were also the most economical and so the RN/RAF Phantoms were the longest legged, another not inconsequential consideration, particularly in a naval aircraft.  Straight-line dash speed is useful to get to the dogfight but sustained turn and high thrust are what wins it.  Dogfighting doesn't occur at supersonic speeds.

i didnt know phantoms had blown flaps?

rickshaw

Quote from: eatthis on February 18, 2013, 12:42:56 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on February 17, 2013, 04:02:23 PM

i didnt know phantoms had blown flaps?

All Phantoms had IIRC blown flaps:

F-4A (F4H-1F) changes were a leading edge flap boundary layer air control system first used on the 5th preproduction aircraft and blown flaps introduced on the 7th preproduction aircraft.11 The wing leading edges and trailing edge flaps were blown by high-pressure bleed air from the engine compressors, which produced a thin layer of air which helped keep airflow attached at high angles of attack.
[Source]

Weaver

The other thing wrong with that side-intake job in the first post is that the engines are not only stacked vertically, they're also staggered horizontally with the lower one being further forward: those side intakes are several feet behind the lower engine's compressor face..... ;D

If you look at the real side-intake Lightnings proposed by BAC, the intakes are under the cockpit.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

eatthis

Quote from: Weaver on February 18, 2013, 04:28:05 AM
The other thing wrong with that side-intake job in the first post is that the engines are not only stacked vertically, they're also staggered horizontally with the lower one being further forward: those side intakes are several feet behind the lower engine's compressor face..... ;D

If you look at the real side-intake Lightnings proposed by BAC, the intakes are under the cockpit.

didnt realise they were that far forward lol
i think mine has some semblance of plausability about it

Weaver

Well one of them is - what Petter did was start with the "impossible ideal" of having one engine behind the other, and them offset them just enough for each engine's intake and exhaust ducts to pass each other.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

eatthis

doesnt vertical stacking mean they clear anyway?

The Wooksta!

You still need space for fuel tanks, cockpit, wing spars, etc.  Staggering the engines gives you that.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: eatthis on February 17, 2013, 05:07:24 AM

Gondor

i heard that too i can only assume the big bulge needed to stuff them in buggered the aerodynamics up

I read that the Spey would accelerate quicker, but top speed was down compared to the J-79
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike