Vickers Vanguard ASW.

Started by aerofan, February 11, 2013, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerofan

I have always thought with many other nations converting turboprop liners or using turboprops for the ASW role, why didn't the Vickers Vanguard ever be used for this role just like the de Havilland Comet. So maybe a whatif Vickers Vanguard ASW.

The Wooksta!

Been done.  There's a 144th one doing the rounds in the UK.  It's been around for quite a while too.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Where are the pictures of this model of which you speak ?  :thumbsup:

Sounds like an awesome idea. Could be used by all sorts of P-3 operators.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 11, 2013, 09:41:26 AM
Been done.  There's a 144th one doing the rounds in the UK.  It's been around for quite a while too.

Make that two
Our own Jaybee has done his own version......The Vickers Nimrod. He won the scots What if? sheild with it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

aerofan

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 11, 2013, 10:31:07 AM
Where are the pictures of this model of which you speak ?  :thumbsup:

Sounds like an awesome idea. Could be used by all sorts of P-3 operators.

Same here. Any pics or links to pics, chaps?

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

JayBee's 'Nimrod' looks more like a P-3 than a P-3 does.  ;D

Splendid piece of work!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

So while we're talking abotut the Vanguardsas an ASW machine. I cane up with the idea of usiing the Bristol Brittania. Is it s feaisable idea?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

They did in Canada so why not? OK, Canadair retro-fitted it with piston engines but four Tynes (like a Vanguard) should work a treat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Yes, that Nimrod is awesome ! Love big four-engined ASW types. I'd love to build an argus, but there's alot more to converting a Brittania than just swapping out the engines !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

aerofan

Jaybee's vanguard asw is great. If the UK had done that maybe they could have had orders that were filled by the orions.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2013, 01:46:57 PM
They did in Canada so why not? OK, Canadair retro-fitted it with piston engines but four Tynes (like a Vanguard) should work a treat.

Before Canada chose the Orion/aurora, Canadair porposed a turboprop version of the Argus. Maybe that would be a good whatif.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: aerofan on February 11, 2013, 05:06:45 PM
Before Canada chose the Orion/aurora, Canadair porposed a turboprop version of the Argus. Maybe that would be a good whatif.

Effectively that'd have been the military CL-44, the Yukon, but with weapons I guess? Welsh Models do a good CL-44 in 1/144.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 11, 2013, 02:15:59 PM
Yes, that Nimrod is awesome ! Love big four-engined ASW types. I'd love to build an argus, but there's alot more to converting a Brittania than just swapping out the engines !

I'm sure someone does a kit in 72nd, I just can't remember who.  Think Kitnut has one - Bob, you reading this?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Execuform for the 1/72 kit?

Welsh Models do Argus Mk.1 and Mk.2 versions in 1/144:
http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT23.html
http://www.welshmodels.co.uk/MT24.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

I'd love to do one or both of the Argus. A little pricey for bashing up and flying around the basement, but probably worth it ( if I ever do a collection of proper RCAF types in 144th, that is  :thumbsup:)
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?