Sarnia Sabre Down for Refurb

Started by Captain Canada, February 12, 2013, 01:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

They took the old Golden Hawk down today, to give her a facelift. I think it's going to be finished in 403 City of sarnia colours this time. The a/c was an actual Golden Hawk. My timing was off to get a photo of her in the 'air'. Hope I can get one when she is put back up.

Where she once 'flew'

Looking pretty ratty in spots

Can see birdsnest remnants in this one....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Other than a bit of trash she doesn't look too bad afterall ! Well, in this pic anyway....

Hope to post some updates as she goes along.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Sarnia is the birthplace of Chris Hadfield, Canada's man on the ISS as I type.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

You sir are correct ! We all had our lights on Friday night so he could take a photo as he passed by...it actually turned out pretty good, too !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Great photo's Capt. Amazing what being stuck on a pole in all weathers can do to your body  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Alvis 3.14159

Hey! Turns out Hasegawa didn't get the roundels wrong in their kitting of a Golden hawks a/c after all! :)

Alvis Pi

pyro-manic

She does need a lot of work, doesn't she? Quite a sorry state.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Haha...good one, Rat ! And yes she is pretty sorry. Hopefully they don't ruin her like the Fairmile D Q-105 that they were going to refurb !

:banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Bill TGH

who has the honour of refinishing this bird ?

my old shop on Lambton Mall Rd used to distribute the original Sheffield Bronze finish used on that plane...
cheers
Bill TGH

{..its all about completion... not perfection }

Wanted - 1 Kidney,
call Sue Melvin, Living Donor Coordinator, Saint John Regional Hospital

Captain Canada

Don't know. I should really get in touch with Mr. Stewart ( of the 403 Wing RCAFA and my old high school guidance counseller ) and see what the plan is, and whatbwe can do to help.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

aerofan

She looks pretty good being on that pedestal for how long? Hey what does the plaque on the base say.

Captain Canada

Not sure exactly. I used to know......the plaque is the names of area men who died in the 1939-45 war

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

She has been dis-assembled and trucked away to have the work done. They have abandoned  the idea of finishing her in 414 colours, and gone back to making her a Golden Hawk again.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Turns out the refurb is going to take londer than anticipated. I am thinking of building a 48th scale Sabre this winter and placing it atop the plynth in the spring as a gag. I asked my LHS what he thought, as I was planning on putting the store's name down the side ( inside the hawk flash ) but he thinks he'll get in trouble. I don't see how ? I think it would be funny. It's not fenced in and it wouldn't be hurting anybody, and I think folk would get a kick out of it ! What do you guys think ?

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 26, 2013, 06:41:31 AM
Turns out the refurb is going to take londer than anticipated. I am thinking of building a 48th scale Sabre this winter and placing it atop the plynth in the spring as a gag. I asked my LHS what he thought, as I was planning on putting the store's name down the side ( inside the hawk flash ) but he thinks he'll get in trouble. I don't see how ? I think it would be funny. It's not fenced in and it wouldn't be hurting anybody, and I think folk would get a kick out of it ! What do you guys think ?

:tornado:

I think you'd need the Hasegawa (Minicraft) 1/32 scale one Todd, nobody would see a smaller one   :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike