Missing 1/72 Horten Ho-229 A-1 (Ho-1X) canopy.

Started by aerofan, February 12, 2013, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerofan

Lancer got me sorted on the canopy but it was for the two seat nightfighter version and a bit cloudy but will be a good starting point for making a plug so I can form one myself.  :cheers:

major

Had a look through the 'odds an sods' box, no joy I'm afraid!
www.fiddlersgreen.net have a paper model of the Horton, should be
simple enough to use the canopy from that (scaled down) to make a
canopy from some clear sheet. Done it myself a few times and works
out quite well. If you want, PM me and i can send you a copy of the
canopy pattern.
Cheers... Ray

The Wooksta!

IIRC, one of the Falcon vacform Luftwaffe canopy sets has a replacement canopy on it specifically for that kit.  Can't remember which one - all my Luftwaffe sets went ages ago.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

1/72 scale Set No.5: Luftwaffe, World War II (part 1)

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 (standard canopy x2) (for Airfix kit)
    Focke-Wulf Fw 190 ("blown" canopy x2) (for Airfix or Frog/Revell kit)
    Messerschmitt Bf 109B/E (x2) (for Heller, Airfix or Matchbox kit)
    Messerschmitt Bf 109E/F (x2) (for Heller, Airfix or Matchbox kit)
    Junkers Ju 87B Stuka (for Fujimi kit)
    Junkers Ju 87D Stuka (for Fujimi kit)
    Henschel Hs 129B (for Airfix kit)
    Horten Ho 229 (for Pioneer 2 kit)
    Messerschmitt Me 410 (for Matchbox kit)
    Heinkel He 219 (for Revell kit)
    Heinkel He 112 (for Heller kit)
    Focke-Wulf Ta 154 (for Pioneer 2 kit)
    Messerschmitt Me 163 (for Heller kit)

Available from - Modelcrafts and Hobbies NZ

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

aerofan

$18.99 for just the Ho-229 canopy is a bit excessive considering the Pioneer2 kit is awful compared to the Revell one. The worst case senerio is that I make a plug and try to make one from clear acetate but before going thru all that trouble I'd see if someone has a spare kicking around first.

rickshaw

Remember that is in Kiwi Dollars.  They were worth less than US Dollars.  Today they are trading at 1.00 NZD    =    0.842373 USD.   So 18.00 NZD    =    15.1649 USD.  You also get quite a few other canopies in the pack.  13 canopies equals $NZ1.30 a canopy.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Allan

one styllish solution to the missing canopy is to drape a "tarp", made of tissue painted and white-glued, over the canopy...but this only works if you don't plan to do any cockpit work
Allan

aerofan

Quote from: rickshaw on February 12, 2013, 08:39:32 PM
Remember that is in Kiwi Dollars.  They were worth less than US Dollars.  Today they are trading at 1.00 NZD    =    0.842373 USD.   So 18.00 NZD    =    15.1649 USD.  You also get quite a few other canopies in the pack.  13 canopies equals $NZ1.30 a canopy.

If they only sold just the canopy I want it would be worthwhile but getting stuck with extras that I won't be using just doesn't go well with me. Plus the cost of shipping would bump it to over $20. As soon as I find material to make a plug I'll try to form a canopy. Thanks major it seems we have the same idea on forming a canopy.

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 18, 2013, 01:14:30 PM

They do ('cause I've got one), you need to look at the Squadron canopies selection (they're done by Falcon)

http://www.squadron.com/product-p/sq9121.htm

Thanks Robert but yes I do know that squdron sells them seperate in two's that's why ask in my OP if some might have a spare. Rickshaw showed me the link to Falcon who doen't sell it seperately.

Quote from: lancer on February 18, 2013, 12:08:41 PM
Aerofan, check your messages.

Lancer, reply pm sent thanks. This will save me time and material in making my own.  :cheers:

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

Quote from: aerofan on February 12, 2013, 09:53:29 PM

If they only sold just the canopy I want it would be worthwhile but getting stuck with extras that I won't be using just doesn't go well with me.

They do ('cause I've got one), you need to look at the Squadron canopies selection (they're done by Falcon)

http://www.squadron.com/product-p/sq9121.htm
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike