What to do with a ford trimotor?

Started by coolpop6307, February 13, 2013, 09:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

coolpop6307

Guys thank you for the ideas so far i have it half way planned out and it will be awesome.

Thanks
  Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

Go4fun

Make a heck of a ASW aircraft or close support and/or Bird Dog aircraft.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

wagnersm

Cobra

Have you thought about doing it as an ASR bird for the US Coast Guard? Dan

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Quote from: crudebuteffective on February 13, 2013, 01:38:59 PM
spanish civil war republican AF bomber?

That isn't a whiff: http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/did.html

Of course, you could take it further as a whiff, with more guns, and/or the engine swap suggested by ChernayaAkula.

As an alternative, how about having them nick a pair of Hispano HS 12s off one of the dire Potez 540s and replace the Ford's nose engine with a bomb-aiming position? The Hispanos are already podded and come with retractable gear, although it might not be long enough as it stands. The two Hispanos are slightly more powerful than the Tin Lizzie's three Wasps.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

The gunship idea occurred to me too. The original idea was counter-insurgency in Mexico with three old water-cooled Brownings but I couldn't find models of the latter. However I then picked up one of those Quad Maxim AAA mounts the Russians used, so the setting has now moved to an extended Russian Civil war going on into the late 1920s. The guns are 1/76th white metal, but since my trimotor is the old Revell "classic" in approximately 1/77th, they'll do nicely.... ;D Orion do the guns in 1/72nd plastic which will go with other kits, and I dare say there are white metal/resin ones too.

Of course, the same combination of aircraft and weapons would be just as credible for an SCW scenario......hmmmmmm...........

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on February 15, 2013, 04:39:39 AM
so the setting has now moved to an extended Russian Civil war going on into the late 1920s.

You could argue that it did in the far flung regions of the Far East. Fascinating and extremely complicated subject with very little available in English that I'm aware of
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Mine will be a Miskatonic University machine, used on their 1931 Antarctic expedition.... :wacko:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 15, 2013, 07:01:35 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 15, 2013, 04:39:39 AM
so the setting has now moved to an extended Russian Civil war going on into the late 1920s.

You could argue that it did in the far flung regions of the Far East. Fascinating and extremely complicated subject with very little available in English that I'm aware of

Vietminh/Vietcong bomber/transport aircraft (think Vickers Valentia/Bristol Bombay) at Dien Bien Phu.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

According to Howson, Ford 4-AT-71, the last 4-AT built and the only 4-AT-F, was not used for anything
other than a transport during the war. It was powered by three 300hp Wright Whirlwind J-6 and the outer
two were in NACA cowlings.
So an extemporized bomber conversion along the lines of what was done with the similar Fokker airliners
would probably be a What-if.
Note that during the war both factory built Fokker bomber versions (F.VIIb3m/M) and converted airliners
(F.VIIb3m, F.IX, F.XII, F.XVIII, and a single F.XX) were in use on both sides, so there is a lot of possible
inspiration for the potential look and equipment of a modified Ford. The F.XX had its outer engines
replaced with the M25 from an I-16 on one side and the Walter Merkur from a Letov S 231 on the other,
which  made an aircraft already unpopular with its Republican crew into an absolute pig. Much relief was
expressed when it crashed in 1938. So while engine swaps were made, the result wasn't necessarily good.
- Info from Howson, Aircraft of The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939, Putnam 1990

As to the layout of a period gunship something along the lines of the Junkers-Larsen JL.12
'armored attack plane', a Junkers F.13 with a belly-full of Thompson SMGs, is far more likely than
the Vietnam-era Spooky configuration.

http://www.ju-f13.de/F13/F13K38/F13K38.html

Above from Angelika Hofmann's outstanding Junkers F.13 website, German only but that's a minor nit  ;) :
http://www.ju-f13.de/index.html

Flight article from 1922, which incorrectly states it as being larger than the JL.6/F.13:
http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1922/1922%20-%200073.PDF

Profile from airwar.ru:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 15, 2013, 09:58:29 AM
The F.XX had its outer engines
replaced with the M25 from an I-16 on one side and the Walter Merkur from a Letov S 231 on the other.....

Which rather begs the question 'WHY?'  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit