Flying Boat Strategic Bombers

Started by KJ_Lesnick, February 17, 2013, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

If you have a big cross-wind they go sideways..........

And in a big downdraft they do go up and down!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Very few flying boats attempted landing in the open sea during WWII, those that did, invariably ended up damaged, if there was even mild conditions at the time.  It wasn't so much once they were down, it was during the landing or take off run, where the hull might find itself trying to plow through even small waves at speeds where the water became rather "hard" and might stove in the hull which was, afterall, only a few millimetres thick at the most.  Flying boats aren't built like ships, Kit, which are designed to withstand the waves and allow the ship to go up and down in time with the waves.   When you add sideways movement caused by current and/or cross wind, then the flying boat could have real difficulties.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Jeepers creepers, how one statement can escalate into an entire war of words!

I WASN'T SUGEGSTING THAT THAT THEY LAND OR TAKE-OFF FROM THE OPEN SEA!  :banghead:

What I said was 'One handy thing about big flying boats is that the available runway length is almost infinite, so you could just add power and thus speed until the thing decided to lift off.'

I've added the underline and emboldment to make my point.

Sea runways, wherever they happened to be, generally have much more scope to be lengthened than a land runway that has a finite length. I'd suggest Pembroke Dock or Foynes as examples, both of which offer 'runways' of more than ten miles in length.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2013, 12:21:15 AM

Sea runways, wherever they happened to be, generally have much more scope to be lengthened than a land runway that has a finite length. I'd suggest Pembroke Dock or Foynes as examples, both of which offer 'runways' of more than ten miles in length.

Might I also respectfully offer Lough Neagh, Windemere and even (monstrous obstacles permitting) Loch Ness.  The fresh water would reduce corrosion issues.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2013, 07:21:20 AM
...When on land the entire bomb door could be removed and replaced with another one, even with a different weapon load. They even flew it with a 'tanker door' which carried an FR refuelling hose reel...

Did they have one carrying Thunderbird 4? ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 24, 2013, 05:07:18 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2013, 07:21:20 AM
...When on land the entire bomb door could be removed and replaced with another one, even with a different weapon load. They even flew it with a 'tanker door' which carried an FR refuelling hose reel...

Did they have one carrying Thunderbird 4? ;D

Probably............  ;)

And even if they didn't we could do one like that here. Does anyone do a T'bird 4 kit in 1/72? I could slide one into my Seamaster when it's finished.

Regards
Kit

jcf

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit