Making a Harrier F.5/7, could use a little input.

Started by Sauragnmon, February 21, 2013, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Sauragnmon on February 22, 2013, 01:32:15 PM
I was thinking it might be interesting in a country that uses them as a secondary deterrent in more troubled regions of the world - you might be able to hit the airbases, but you can't destroy all the highways so to speak - a Swedish style approach.

The Harrier  could land and (if necessary)take off from a tennis court.  True, you can't destroy all of the highways.  Taking out every tennis club in the country is even more unlikely.    RAF Wimbledon, anyone?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Sauragnmon

now That just fuels a very interesting idea... considering how heavily built most stadiums are, in the world, you could, in theory, hide a squadron base under a footy stadium, with some hidden elevators to move them up to ground level.  A lot of stadiums like to be placed near highways, so they can be rapidly accessed by the masses, so you have an airstrip, a hangar facility, and an emergency landing position just in case somebody craters the highway.  Footy stadium, doubles as military base and emergency shelter...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Steel Penguin

sounds very Gerry Anderson ( and equaly good) to me!
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: Sauragnmon on February 22, 2013, 03:45:00 PM
now That just fuels a very interesting idea... considering how heavily built most stadiums are, in the world, you could, in theory, hide a squadron base under a footy stadium, with some hidden elevators to move them up to ground level.  A lot of stadiums like to be placed near highways, so they can be rapidly accessed by the masses, so you have an airstrip, a hangar facility, and an emergency landing position just in case somebody craters the highway.  Footy stadium, doubles as military base and emergency shelter...

Over here in the UK that might make for some "interesting" graffiti on bombs and other expendables  :wacko: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2013, 01:59:42 AM

Over here in the UK that might make for some "interesting" graffiti on bombs and other expendables  :wacko: :rolleyes:

.....and squadron markings in team colours?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 23, 2013, 02:06:45 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2013, 01:59:42 AM

.....and squadron markings in team colours?

Perish the thought!  :banghead:

We had some silliness like that in motor racing a year or so ago and that didn't work too well either!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

On mature reflection, I think that I have to agree with you.  (Bring back British Racing Green)    But I do have a slightly surreal image in my mind of a Harrier being wheeled out onto Wimbledon Centre Court!

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on February 23, 2013, 02:18:45 AM
On mature reflection, I think that I have to agree with you.  (Bring back British Racing Green)    But I do have a slightly surreal image in my mind of a Harrier being wheeled out onto Wimbledon Centre Court!

Can you imagine the uproar in the Times etc - the damage it would do to the grass  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2013, 02:27:28 AM
Quote from: Rheged on February 23, 2013, 02:18:45 AM

Can you imagine the uproar in the Times etc - the damage it would do to the grass  :banghead:

,,,,,or Rear Admiral Mildly-Bonkers (retired) of Tunbridge Wells, writing to the Telegraph  about some RAF wallah ruining his game of bowls       Dash it all, Sir, what would Drake have said??

Father Ennis

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Rheged

Quote from: Father Ennis on February 23, 2013, 02:58:31 AM
You Limeies are funny ... !!!!!!      :cheers:
Several centuries practice, laughing at ourselves!

Sauragnmon

Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Rheged

Quote from: Sauragnmon on February 23, 2013, 11:23:13 AM
Squadron 617 "Manchester United" RAF?

Quite possibly............but what about Milwall?  What aircraft do  we station there?