Styrofoam for Runway Query

Started by Cobra, February 25, 2013, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, i Recently bought some Styrofoam sheeting from Michael's, and Have thought about using a Sheet to Look like the Aircraft is sitting on a Runway. Think it might Work?have Not Picked what Aircraft Yet,but Thought i'd Ask You Guys first. What Say You? Thanks For Looking. Dan

Hobbes

You'd have to experiment with paint and glue: some paints and glues will dissolve styrofoam.

I also expect that regular (coarse) styrofoam (the stuff used for packaging) doesn't look realistic as the structure is too coarse. There are fine-stuctured types of styrofoam (used in construction) that are more suitable.

Cobra

Hobbes, this is the kind of Foam used by Florists,hence it's Called Florafoam! i purchased a Pack with 5 Pieces in it and Thought it would be Good for a Runway Dio.Dan

Rheged

Quote from: Cobra on February 26, 2013, 01:41:27 AM
Hobbes, this is the kind of Foam used by Florists,hence it's Called Florafoam! i purchased a Pack with 5 Pieces in it and Thought it would be Good for a Runway Dio.Dan

This sounds like the stuff that UK florists sell as "OASIS", a fine textured foam  material which rapidly erodes to a green dust that gets everywhere.    It is said to breed in church flower-arrangers cupboards. Not sure about it as a runway surface, but for an early biplane diorama it could work well.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Cobra

Rheged, this stuff is a Fine White Foam,I'm planning to have a Model,not Chosen Yet,look like it's Ready for take Off,I Don't have Any Biplanes in my Stash @ Present, I'm thinking a Jet maybe. Dan

Rheged

Quote from: Cobra on February 26, 2013, 01:52:19 AM
Rheged, this stuff is a Fine White Foam,I'm planning to have a Model,not Chosen Yet,look like it's Ready for take Off,I Don't have Any Biplanes in my Stash @ Present, I'm thinking a Jet maybe. Dan

Fine white foam suggests cold.  A Norseman on skis, perhaps.  An Arrow at Cold Lake?

I'm relieved to read it's not "OASIS" you've bought,  we'd be hearing about your travails with fine green dust for some time after!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Rheged on February 26, 2013, 01:49:41 AM
Quote from: Cobra on February 26, 2013, 01:41:27 AM

This sounds like the stuff that UK florists sell as "OASIS", a fine textured foam  material which rapidly erodes to a green dust that gets everywhere.    It is said to breed in church flower-arrangers cupboards. Not sure about it as a runway surface, but for an early biplane diorama it could work well.

If it is THAT stuff, I would not recommend it for diorama modelling. It's VERY sensitive to pressure of any sort, and with age it disintegrates into dust that get ANYWHERE. You can also not work with plaster on it in order to sculpt a surfacem because it's spongy and sucks about any water from the plaster immediately! I tried once to build a dioarama with it, and it was a true mess...

Besides, never use solvent-based paint on styrofoam of any kind, unless you want a moon surface. Use acryllics or water-based stuff.

Mossie

If you want a simple runway/tarmac surface, use a sheet of wet and dry sandpaper, you can get it from any hardware store. Choose a grade to suit the surface you want, it's usually a simillar shade of grey to tarmac.  Glue it down to your surface, you can even paint it if required to add stripes, rubber marks etc.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

There are also nice and sensibly priced print options available, e .g. the runway prints from Noy's Miniatures from Israel. Various styles and scales available (e. g. though ebay) -  eben while some grass is just printed and only 2D, the effect of the bare sheets is IMHO very good, and with some personal additions like grass fibre or some artist chalk and dirt stains these are very good display bases. Just glue the cardboard with contact spray glue onto a flat and clean board, and you have a neat display option.

Cobra

Thanks Guys,Mossie, i like the Idea of Sandpaper, I'll check when i get down to my local Hardware Store next. btw, the Address for the Foam I'm using is: www.floracraft.com  hope this works. Dan

Captain Canada

Planes sitting on snow always look good. Thanks for the tip, I might have to go look around michael`s ( with a 50% off coupon ) and pick some up !

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

I've used painted wet'n'dry as anti-slip mats before now: works a treat, even with enamels.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 26, 2013, 04:36:39 AM
I've used painted wet'n'dry as anti-slip mats before now: works a treat, even with enamels.

Wears out paintbrushes like no tomorrow though!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit