P-36 with inline engine

Started by KJ_Lesnick, February 26, 2013, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 27, 2013, 01:31:47 PM
pyro-manic
It did say it was exported to France and Finland but it didn't say that it was specifically designed to be low-tech and for export

Clearly you haven't actually read the article. I see no reason why I, or anyone else, should assist you if you don't do anything yourself.

Tell you what, I'll be extremely generous and give you the links. After that, I will not be contributing any further to your topics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-36_Hawk#Operational_history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40#Design_and_development
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McGreig on February 27, 2013, 01:20:08 PM
Well, the French did take delivery of 316 of what they designated the Curtiss H-75 before the German victory and they accounted for approximately 1/4 of all French air-to-air kills in the 1939-40 period (and 44 of the captured aircraft were subsequently sold by the Germans to Finland).

OK, SOME of them didn't get there in time and were impressed into RAF service..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 27, 2013, 01:31:47 PM
PR19_Kit

We would not have sold an aircraft with a supercharger or turbocharger to a foreign country correct?

I don't think I said anything of the sort, or even implicated it. I was just pointing out that some P-36s were shipped out for France and didn't make it.

Quite why the US DoD would be psychotic about exporting superchargers or turbo-chargers I have no idea, the technology was already freely avialable as has been mentioned more than once elsewhere in this forum.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

pyro-manic

QuoteClearly you haven't actually read the article. I see no reason why I, or anyone else, should assist you if you don't do anything yourself.
I did -- unless I have some kind of blind-spot, there were export variants that were built which featured simplified features such as a fixed-gear.

However, it would seem the primary role was an advanced monoplane fighter to equip USAAC squadrons though it seemed to be highly successful in export.

As for finding out the P-40 was just a modified P-36 -- I already knew that as of Post #9... I said the plane weighed initially as much as a P-40.

PR19_Kit

QuoteQuite why the US DoD would be psychotic about exporting superchargers or turbo-chargers I have no idea
It sounds absurd, but when we gave the P-38 to the British we wouldn't give them the turbos...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on February 27, 2013, 02:55:53 PM
PR19_Kit

QuoteQuite why the US DoD would be psychotic about exporting superchargers or turbo-chargers I have no idea
It sounds absurd, but when we gave the P-38 to the British we wouldn't give them the turbos...

I don't think it was quite like that.......

The six P-38s that were delivered to the RAF were ordered without the turbo-chargers because the Air Ministry were looking for a low altitude fighter. And I think we bought them, they weren't gifts, one just part of the huge debt we amassed fighting the Nazis during WWII......

Regards
Kit

Father Ennis

When I mentioned that the P-36 was exported, I was thinking about the Chinese and India.  I have the  kit of M/N/O  P-36. That was what I was researching at the time. That is the one with the fixed landings gear. With spats !!!   Sad to say, I just got into using Google to research my models and the P-36 was one of the first.  I have found a site called Wings Pallet very useful.  It features profiles of hundreds of aircraft by eras type and counties who used them with some info on the plane and where the image came from.  KJ,I recommend you visit it ,get your ideas then Google it and find out about it in detail.  Then you will know your subject and can better ask your questions here. Personally,I'm not an aircraft modeler but I do enjoy them for a change. Doing what I've suggested has gotten me information I hadn't thought about or knew to ask someone about and when I do I can now ask intellegent questions,something I couldn't do before.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 27, 2013, 03:42:31 PM
PR19_Kit

The six P-38s that were delivered to the RAF were ordered without the turbo-chargers because the Air Ministry were looking for a low altitude fighter. And I think we bought them, they weren't gifts, one just part of the huge debt we amassed fighting the Nazis during WWII......

Prezactly, in April 1940 the Anglo-French Purchasing Commitee ordered their 667 Model 322s with
non-handed, non-turbo-supercharged Allison V-1710-C15 engines, the same engine that powered
the H81As they ordered from Curtiss.
After the Fall of France the order was changed so only the first 143 were to be delivered with the
non-turbo C-series engine as the Lightning I, the remaining 524 were to have handed, turbo
V-1710-F5L/F5R as the Lightning II. Only three of the Lightning I made it to the UK and the
other 140 went to the USAAF as the P-322, the remainder of the contracts were canceled.

The 'classified' status of the GE turbo has often been misunderstood, it wasn't so much the turbo as it
was the metallurgy of the turbine and other hot parts that made it work and anyhow the B-17Cs sent
to the UK in the spring of '41 as the Fortress I were box stock, turbos and all.

As to Curtiss 'P-36' exports, none but lots of Hawk H75s in various versions some with Pratt & Whitneys,
some with Wrights, fixed gear and retractable.  ;)

p.s. Kit no DoD pre-1947, 'twas the Department of War and the Department of the Navy.  ;)

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 27, 2013, 03:42:31 PM
PR19_Kit

the yanks screwed us right over in the war we were still paying them off into the 90s wernt we?
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Father Ennis

You Brits payed us back anything ?  News to.me. I just thought we saved you pink fluffy butts just like we had to do in the first world war.

Rheged

Quote from: Father Ennis on February 28, 2013, 11:59:32 AM
You Brits payed us back anything ?  News to.me. I just thought we saved you pink fluffy butts just like we had to do in the first world war.

RANT MODE ENGAGED    Don't get  us lot on this side of the water started!! If we got it, we paid for it!    RANT MODE DISENGAGED

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

eatthis

Quote from: Father Ennis on February 28, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

fella your lot charged us to borrow old ships that we GAVE you years beforehand  :lol:
you stole jet technology from us blatently and were supposed to be allies  :lol:
your lot got really really arsey about concorde flying over there when you realised your mach3 airliner got ditched
your lot SHAFTED us as much as they possibly could
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

PR19_Kit

... and will continue to do so, given the chance. Such is the nature of 'business', meaning American business in this instance of course.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Is it me or are there a lot of worms everywhere?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf