The Solitary Cyclist`s Thread

Started by thesolitarycyclist, March 03, 2013, 12:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesolitarycyclist

I finally bought a digital camera a 10mp Nikon Coolpix. So i won`t have to use my mobile now.

Went to the Huddersfield Show recently with the guys from the Tornado fetish, i mean special Interest Group. Some of the whiff`s on show before cheapo camera batteries died.

USS Enterprise huge model must at least 2 feet in length.

Luftwaffe Cutlass

Horten Ho-229 nightfighter

Arado 234 manned Mistel

RAF Dornier Do-335

My two reasonably priced purchases on the day.£20 each

thesolitarycyclist

Current work in progress and one recently finished

Captain Canada

Beauty ! I love the shape of the first one, and the -40 looks right at home like that...is it real or whif ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Yes, congratulations for this collection...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

rickshaw

Does anybody know what the slogan on the P-40 says?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

thesolitarycyclist

The P-40 is a whif scheme. The russians did use the P-40M but the decals were left overs from my italeri Ilyushin IL-2 and the slogan reads as Za Rodina which translates on google as for the Motherland.

Dizzyfugu

Ah, the German Cutlass... also got one in my stash that's waiting for a major conversion (new nose section, among others). reminds me to check my project list...  :rolleyes:

zenrat

I'm intrigued at what appears to be a V1 with spatted undercarriage in the Arado 234 manned Mistel
pic.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

eatthis

Quote from: zenrat on December 24, 2013, 01:34:21 AM
I'm intrigued at what appears to be a V1 with spatted undercarriage in the Arado 234 manned Mistel
pic.

aka the mistel with a man in it??  :lol:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

sandiego89

Quote from: zenrat on December 24, 2013, 01:34:21 AM
pic.

Eatthis, I think Zenrat is referring to the V-1 shape to the right of the picture, not the manned V-1 (Fieseler 103) atop the Arado.  I believe we are seeing the nose section of a flying fuel tank, "Deichelschlepp", towed behind the Arado.  This was a V-1 body and wing turned into a flying fuel tank.

from wiki, which notes the spatted wheels on the trolly: A somewhat less ambitious project undertaken was the adaptation of the missile as a 'flying fuel tank' (Deichselschlepp) for the Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighter, which was initially test-towed behind an He 177A Greif bomber. The pulse-jet, internal systems and warhead of the missile were removed, leaving only the wings and basic fuselage, now containing a single large fuel tank. A small cylindrical module, similar in shape to a finless dart, was placed atop the vertical stabilizer at the rear of the tank, acting as a centre of gravity balance and attachment point for a variety of equipment sets. A rigid tow-bar with a pitch pivot at the forward end connected the flying tank to the Me 262. The operational procedure for this unusual configuration saw the tank resting on a wheeled trolley for take-off. The trolley was dropped once the combination was airborne, and explosive bolts separated the towbar from the fighter upon exhaustion of the tank's fuel supply. A number of test flights were conducted in 1944 with this set-up, but inflight "porpoising" of the tank, with the instability transferred to the fighter, meant the system was too unreliable to be used. An identical utilisation of the V-1 flying tank for the Ar 234 bomber was also investigated, with the same conclusions reached. Some of the "flying fuel tanks" used in trials utilised a cumbersome fixed and spatted undercarriage arrangement, which (along with being pointless) merely increased the drag and stability problems already inherent in the design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

thesolitarycyclist

i recently entered a competition on a tin of hot dogs to win an Airfix gift set. My prize turned up this afternoon and i was pleasantly surprised at what i found in the box.

I expected only one gift set and this lot turned up. The 2014 catalogue is very impressive.

PR19_Kit

That lot should keep you busy for a while.  ;D

Isn't that a Wyvern contra-prop I see on top of the paint brushes in the left hand corner of the piccie? What's that intended for?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

thesolitarycyclist

The Wyvern is going to be a Vietnam era whif, hence the camouflage. Still working the the little grey cells on a back story.

thesolitarycyclist

Martin A-1 Wyvern

Following WW2 the U.S cancelled many aircraft projects and during Korea relied on the Corsair and Mustang for close air support. Seeing the need for a quick replacement as these types racked up the hours they bought the Westland Wyvern from the U.K. This was built under licence by Martin who used this experience of U.K. aircraft production when they later won the contract to build the B-57.

sturmvogel

It's not that often where you see a Wyvern in US service, much less the Air Force. Superb model!  :cheers:
"Helos don't fly, they vibrate so hard the ground rejects them." -Tom Clancy

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off