Java 1942

Started by NARSES2, March 12, 2013, 08:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is my first build for this years GB.

Hawker Hurricane IIc of the KNIL-LVA Java March 1942.

The Dutch had 24 ex RAF Hurricane IIb's on Java in 1942 so I thought what if they had had a couple of IIc's ?

Airfix 1/72 kit in standard RAF upper surface camo with Sky Blue undersides. RAF markings are overpainted in a nondescript green on the top surfaces and a mid grey on the lower surfaces. Dutch triangle insignia in six positions with a small Dutch national flag on the tail fin. These aircraft are around at the transitional period between the Orange Triangle and the Dutch national flag markings but didn't survive long enough to have a change of markings.

Paints are Xtracrylic for the uppers and Vallejo for the lower. The few stencils used are from the kit the national markings from a DP Casper "Campaigns" sheet. "Forgotten Operations - Java Sea"

Idea came from Kitbasher (thank you Dave  :thumbsup:) and I just ran with it. Information on the Dutch Hurricanes plus side profiles from SAM's Combat Colours - Pearl Harbour and Beyond.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Very nice, mon brave.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

A real Hurri-fest Chris!  :thumbsup: :bow:

I like them all, but specially this Dutch one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Dizzyfugu

Nice one, I really like the outpainted roundels.

Which tones are these? Looks like RAF Dark Green/Dark Earth?

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 13, 2013, 12:41:07 AM
Nice one, I really like the outpainted roundels.

Which tones are these? Looks like RAF Dark Green/Dark Earth?

They are indeed sir, the actual Mk IIb's were ex RAF machines
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Very nice idea - I also have a ML-KNIL-project on the list for the GB, even though it will be a fictional type of aircraft.  ;D

jorel62