Short Sunderland developments...

Started by Rheged, March 13, 2013, 04:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2013, 05:03:42 PM
You just sort of slipped the 'amphibian' bit in there, didn't you?  ;)

;D ;D

Out of interest, I've read in an Air-Britain article, that the RCAF were considering using their Sunderlands as freighters to service their part in Tiger Force.  My backstory will have Canadian Vickers doing the converting and as they had just wrapped up production of amphibian Catalinas (RW stuff) they suggested converting some of the Sunderland Freighters into amphibians using the PBY gear as a pattern.  Later when Canadian Vickers morphed into Canadair they used the experience to design and build the CL-215/415 (more RW stuff concerning the company names but I'm sure that the PBY gear influenced how the CL-215 gear were designed)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2013, 05:03:42 PM
Whoah there Robert!  :o

You just sort of slipped the 'amphibian' bit in there, didn't you?  ;)

My thoughts as well. Suits the aircraft though and takes the development timeline on into the late 40's early 50's rather naturally in my view  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Thanks again guys --

If the BC logging company consortium had not chosen the Martin Mars to be their water bomber, the Sunderland could have been what was as it was under consideration.  If history had gone that way, I can see a few surviving Sunderlands still plying the airways today.

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 07:08:43 AM
Thanks again guys --

If the BC logging company consortium had not chosen the Martin Mars to be their water bomber, the Sunderland could have been what was as it was under consideration.  If history had gone that way, I can see a few surviving Sunderlands still plying the airways today.

I might be stealing that idea...  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on April 28, 2013, 07:57:45 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 07:08:43 AM
Thanks again guys --

I might be stealing that idea...  :wacko:

I'd like to see what you come up with Dave  :thumbsup:  I'm doing mine as a Buffalo Air water bomber in Newfoundland & Labrador orange and green (and white stripes) scheme

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 08:58:50 AMI'm doing mine as a Buffalo Air water bomber in Newfoundland & Labrador orange and green (and white stripes) scheme

Peas and Carrots? Beautiful scheme, I did a Bowrider like that a couple of years ago:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

ericr

Quote from: The Rat on April 28, 2013, 09:22:12 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 08:58:50 AMI'm doing mine as a Buffalo Air water bomber in Newfoundland & Labrador orange and green (and white stripes) scheme

Peas and Carrots? Beautiful scheme, I did a Bowrider like that a couple of years ago:

beautiful! it gives the Tradewind a new life!

kitnut617

What scale is the Tradewind?, I've picked up a 1/72 scale one along with a Martin Mars in the same scale. The Tradewind is bigger ---

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
What scale is the Tradewind?, I've picked up a 1/72 scale one along with a Martin Mars in the same scale. The Tradewind is bigger ---

Box scale, according to one source it's 1/168th. Needs a lot of work, but good enough for whiffing!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 28, 2013, 10:48:04 AM

The Tradewind was another of the recipients of the 'long planing hullform' design philosophy, like the Martin Seamaster. It makes for a very elegant but very long aeroplane. At least the original Tradewind was elegant, the freighter version somewhat less so.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

If it's any use to people here, my older  son (a part time volunteer at Solent Sky)  has several photos of the hull forms of the Short  Sandringham  Beachcomber, the Saro SR A1  and the Supermarine S6B.  We are having problems trying to post them here, but if anyone wants them, PM me your email address and I'll send them all on to you.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Would it be possible to fit Griffon engines to an Airfix or Revell Sunderland?
Great build by the way :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

You mean annular style Shackleton engines?  Yes, but the thrust line moves up if you fit cowling A to wing B, with consequent aerodynamic difficulties.  You'd have to remove the existing moulded wing cowlings and build new ones lower down.

Look at the side profile of the Beaufighter I and II - the thrust line is the same for both radial and inline but the cowling moves down.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)