Mystery P-38

Started by Librarian, March 13, 2013, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Funny thing is, that's been bothering me. Would need some kind of automatic spoiler over port to counteract. I suppose if you're torping a ship you kick the rudder anyway to keep the gunners heads down.

My uncle flew some missions with the IID (?) Hurricane and told me of a hair-raising incident when the 40mm guns went out of sync....nearly took his rudder off :-\!

CANSO

Quote from: Librarian on March 15, 2013, 08:06:58 AMHere we go...frees up the mainplane for some ordnance. This is based on the P-38M with rear cockpit. Observer will have a periscope ( a la a-26 Invader) for aiming the rear stinger behind the engine. I think It's mainly a scout/recon/torp concept giving the pilot and observer a clearer view.
One thing I don't see working well so far is the tail - it's position and size.
In their own "Float-lightning" design Lockheed changed the original tail -
QuoteOne problem that needed to be addressed was the tail section. The tail would pose problems during takeoff and landing on the water. One way to address this problem was to raise the entire tail section. Wind tunnel tests revealed minimal performance loss.

Now you chopped up one of the tails, leaving the second one in it's original size. :rolleyes: I wonder if the a/c can turn at all...
But still, "This is a whiffer's world..." as James Brown sang ...or something similar at least ;D . I like the "loon".

Librarian

That would certainly make sense. A hard water landing would probably have caused serious metal fatigue to the original boom, as thin as it was. I considered replacing the tail early on (still am to be honest) but nowadays its all in the building and a little more in the whiffie. In my world Australia is a nature reserve populated by Dinosaurs ;D.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on March 15, 2013, 10:30:27 AM
In my world Australia is a nature reserve populated by Dinosaurs ;D.

Ouch, you could be playing with fire there!!!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2013, 11:05:44 AM
Quote from: Librarian on March 15, 2013, 10:30:27 AM
In my world Australia is a nature reserve populated by Dinosaurs ;D.

Ouch, you could be playing with fire there!!!  :o

it isnt far off  ;D
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2013, 08:37:54 AM
That's so TOTALLY crazy that it's brilliant!   :thumbsup: :bow:

Worthy of Dr. Richard Vogt at his very best.

Oh yeah, Tophe will LOVE it too!  ;D
Sorry, I see this topic lately, but yes, I love it! :wub: :wub: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

Ok, that tail got to me so I've enlarged it :lol::

Haven't decided thw colour-scheme yet but I may stick with Forest Green/Shieldmen squadron...

Tophe

Wonderful, more and more! :bow:

Librarian

Spent most of the weekend flat on my back for all the wrong reasons :banghead:. Accomplished some painting and detail work, notably the periscope in the rear cockpit:

Putting off the dreaded canopy painting 'til the last minute.

Tophe

Great! :thumbsup:
Have you changed the propeller for a 6-bladed one? :unsure: :lol:

Librarian

Five-bladed...a Spit resin replacement. Trying to decide whether to have it cockpit open or closed :unsure:.

Librarian

This just about sums up how I feel about the whole whatifry game:

Academy's lightning has one of the worst fitting canopies I have ever encountered....getting there though!!!

Librarian

OK, she's finally finished :party:. Always liked the SEAC blues, works well with the green scheme:

I like the way the rear stinger worked out although putting together the whole cockpit periscope thing was a pain. A good forward arnament with a centerline torp rounds her off...great fun all round:

Got something really mad coming next ;D.

Go4fun

Quote from: Librarian on March 19, 2013, 12:03:11 PM
OK, she's finally finished :party:. Always liked the SEAC blues, works well with the green scheme:

I like the way the rear stinger worked out although putting together the whole cockpit periscope thing was a pain. A good forward arnament with a centerline torp rounds her off...great fun all round:

Got something really mad coming next ;D.
:blink: :o Something MORE mad?!?!?!
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Tophe

Delicious, I will try drawing it in my collection, thanks! :wub: :thumbsup: :bow: :blink: ;D