Mystery P-38

Started by Librarian, March 13, 2013, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Soooo upset. Had to strip Snoopy Airways off the leg for the varnishing. Everything had severely silvered and no amount of setting solution was helping. Anyone got an Xtradecal sheet in 1/48 for the U-2 they'd like to donate to a good cause ;D.

This is one of my all time favourite examples of nose art and oh so wrong in today's climate....can you imagine the furore it would have caused during the Gulf War :blink:.

Librarian

NOW she's finished. Went for a Marines machine but had to get rid of the red. I just don't like the colour too much and I was trying to cure myself :banghead::

Fun with Lightnings....hmmm, what next :rolleyes::

Tophe

For just a few ideas, do you know my Lightning site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/#Sit ?
I will draw your radial-engine square-fins P-38, also, what is her name?
Thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Librarian

Quote from: Tophe on September 25, 2013, 09:48:34 AM
For just a few ideas, do you know my Lightning site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/#Sit ?
I will draw your radial-engine square-fins P-38, also, what is her name?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

She's called the OA-38N, a Fast Fac. Thanks for the link.

Tophe

Thanks for the name!
Can you explain further this OA-38N? With radial engines (air-cooled?), what are the (usual) "coolers" on the rear of the booms for? Another device? Or is this a prototype using standard parts from the P-38 production line? :unsure: ;D

Librarian

Although she's only carrying smoke rocket pods she can carry offensive weapons as well (and has a single 7.62mm minigun in the nose) so I gave her the Observation Attack designation.

The scoops were kept 'cos:
1) They equate to the wing scoops on an F4U or cowlings on other aircraft. I wanted to keep the cowlings clean.
2) I like them ;D

I'll find a link to the original build and send post it.

Tophe

Quote from: Librarian on September 26, 2013, 12:41:32 AM
I'll find a link to the original build and send post it.
The Search tool of what-if modelers does not find OA-38N, nor Google on the whole Web. Where could I look for it (I am willing to help if you have no time searching yourself)

Librarian

Tophe

Thanks a lot for this precious link. ;D

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

And why has this not been put forward for a whiffie I have to ask...???:unsure:

Done!
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Tophe

The POA-38Q ( :wub:) is now included in the History of asymmetric aircraft (see at the end of my site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Asymm_addition.htm ).
Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Librarian

Thanks to everyone. I really enjoy the asymetrics more than most but ideas are a bit thin. Going to have a really good long look through Tophe's page for inspiration....just noticed that Special Hobby have released in 1/48 the He115. Now there lies a contender ;D.

Tophe

Thanks for this idea. I have drawed tonight an asymmetric He-115 at http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20326.msg613906.html#new but not as 3-view cause it seems almost impossible to build... Let your imagination fly, Librarian, and tell us how to do. ;D

seavixen

Quote from: Librarian on September 25, 2013, 05:53:41 AM
NOW she's finished. Went for a Marines machine but had to get rid of the red. I just don't like the colour too much and I was trying to cure myself :banghead::

Fun with Lightnings....hmmm, what next :rolleyes::

I think this is excellent Tophe I really do.
One thing though. Do you think on a real aircraft the combination of large tail fin placed atop such a narrow boom section might result in tail separation in a tight turn? Maybe a fillet attached to the fin would alleviate this?
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite