Confederate States Air Force

Started by billi46, March 19, 2013, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billi46

Hi all members.

I'm looking for a "What If" Confederate Air Force colors and markings chart. Even, its evolution from the origins to the present days.
Any ideas for a CSAAF P-47 or à CS Navy F-14 ?

PantherG

Have You an Idea about CSAF national marking?
Profiles are no problem.... ;D

billi46

For the national insignia, I imagine a similar one, maybe in reversed colors :

- before 1942 : a white star with inner blue dot in a red disk
- 1942-1943 : a white star in a red disk
- 1943-1947 : a white star in a red disk and white bars with red borders.
- after 1947 : the same with blue bars in.

Well, it could became difficult with the low visibility insignia...

The colors and camouflage must be different, maybe inspired by European countries : UK, Germany, France.

jorel62

Don't you think it would look to close to the United States?

billi46

This is Alternate History. There are many choices.
We could also have a blue star. Or a red one  ;)

And add a Confederate flag on the tail (USAAF planes have red and white stripes).

jorel62

Father Ennis

No doubt about it,a Confederate Battle Flag done as for the usual aircraft ID markings. No true son of the South would consider anything else !!!   You Yankee bull droppings !!! 

billi46

PantherG

I´m a little bit southern too ...  ;D    I´m from south of Czech republic.....
OK,I try to make something , what will be acceptable for TRUE southerns.... ;)

Father Ennis

You're a good lad !!!    BTW, you have some good ideas,but not the 19th century Southern upbringing my Grandmother gave me. To her the ACW was "the War" and "them DAMN Yankees" done burnt our plantations and run off our slaves,and we will never forget that !!!!!!  When I was in business,I delt with people from all over the U.S. and from around the world. At first I couldn't understand why I really didn't like the people from the Northern U.S. ,but then I remembered and every time I told them the story they would fall out of their chairs laughing !!!   
     Your ideas are good but have one flaw. They are just the Yankees' star and bar but in different colors. You need to do a takeoff of the Confederate battle flag, red field,blue X with white stars. The classic Confederate flag. To sum up, back during the war, Confederate troops often "acquired" Yankee pistol belts and guns. But, when they wore them, they turned the "US" marked buckles upside-down out of.spite towards the Federals and to show disrespect to them and the government it stood for.  Bear this in mind when you do your next pictures and you should have it.

billi46

Hmm I'm some kind of Southerner too... from my own country  ;)

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure that a big CSA flag must be placed on the plane's tail. It works even with the "low visibility" color scheme. In grey of course !

For the national insignia, I thought about a roundel, that is the most common form. The advantage is to have the same colors as the CSA flag and to avoid repetition with the flag's form itself. By the way, the USAF insignia doesn't exist until 1919 (or 1942 with the form I already made). It should be not considerated as a US property like the USA flag. So the reversed colors insignia was a suitable idea for me.

But do you think it could be a cross instead (like the German WW2 insignia) with the red/blue colors and white stars ?

jorel62

jorel62

feel free to make any changes you like. So, that we know what you like

jorel62

billi46

Wow, a really good work. Thank you for sharing  :thumbsup:
I like the Bell color scheme and the marking for the states on the Bearcat's tail is nice too.

Any idea for a F4U Corsair ?