Confederate States Air Force

Started by billi46, March 19, 2013, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PantherG

Yankees planes for CSAAF ? Why donĀ“t use something different? Maybe french or german?
And national marking? To differ from "bloody" Yankees,i think that square will be better....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

andrewj

Since Britain tended towards the Confederacy , I could well see the CSAF using Hurricanes and Spitfires.

Andrew

jcf

Quote from: andrewj on March 22, 2013, 02:39:46 PM
Since Britain tended towards the Confederacy , I could well see the CSAF using Hurricanes and Spitfires.

Andrew

The British aristocracy did to varying degrees, however, the man in the street, not so much.
Slavery was very unpopular, and the USA was Britain's main source of wheat imports. Two huge
hurdles to overcome.

pyro-manic

How about a tail marking similar to that of the Spanish Nationalist aircraft? So rather than a black cross on white, have a blue cross on red that covers the whole rudder. The roundel could be similar too - a simple red circle with blue cross.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Cobra

the CSAF insignia could be made Similar to that used by the Confederation of Dixie in Crimson Skies, a Roundel with the Confedarate Flag in it. even thought i'd be considered a 'Yankee',it might work for this. Dan

Father Ennis

My thought was a postage stamp marking like the Italian Co-beligerent forces did in WWII, using the Confederate battle flag. It was the first thing that came to mind.  Guess I forgot to say that before,now...   LOL!!! 

Father Ennis

I just saw the P-39. That marking was being used by the US Army in 1941 !!!!!!   It was used thru the invasion of North Africa. It doesn't always show in b&w photos due to the film used. (The Armor Command didn't want to use the same as the "fly-fly boys".).  But, I do understand your European proprespic on things. Our Civil War is unique to us. We're still fighting it but only for laughs or if we want to play dressup and drops tons of cash to have a complete and authentic uniform and weapons. (I do the Medieval thing myself)   

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 22, 2013, 03:57:09 PM
Quote from: andrewj on March 22, 2013, 02:39:46 PM

Andrew

The British aristocracy did to varying degrees, however, the man in the street, not so much.
Slavery was very unpopular, and the USA was Britain's main source of wheat imports. Two huge
hurdles to overcome.

Very much so. The cotton industry in Lancashire was badly effected by the Union blockade but 1,000's of out of work mill workers turned up for rallies in support of the anti-slavery measures.

Back to subject. I've always had the impression that a devolved South would have become much more of a grouping of like minded States with only loose nationhood ties ? More federal infact then the Federals ? Maybe defence would have been one of them but I feel that the individual states would have expressed themselves on "their" aircraft. Thus the Georgia bar is right but maybe they would have had their State flag as their tail marking ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hotte

Here is my CSA Roundel.
Roundel only on the wings.

Hotte

PantherG

To Father Ennis: dear comrade.....
You change Italian Co-beligerente Air Force and "Aviazione Nazionale Republicana" (Fascist Air Force from Northern Italy   after armistice under leadership of "Duce").....  ;D

jorel62

Hotte..... I like it. But, it needs stars in the blue stripe. I think

billi46

Quote from: Father Ennis on March 23, 2013, 12:55:57 AM
I just saw the P-39. That marking was being used by the US Army in 1941 !!!!!!   It was used thru the invasion of North Africa.  

The shape is the same but colors are reversed, like the other markings I proposed.

About andrewj idea of using English planes, I believe that the Confederacy could be a strong enough nation to use his own models.

I also like Hotte roundel. With stars must be better  ;)

Hotte

Quote from: jorel62 on March 23, 2013, 09:02:11 AM
Hotte..... I like it. But, it needs stars in the blue stripe. I think

Ok

And the blue stripe slightly wider!

Hotte

Father Ennis

Oops !!!   Sorry about my getting the sides wrong on the Italians but you got my idea and I'm not much of an aircraft modeler.  I have to disagree with the roundel colors. This wasn't used for a very long period. However, they were the reversed colors of the aircraft markings. They were replaced by "yellow" stars for the North African invasion. You can see pictures in the Squadron Signal books on the M3 Lee/Grant and M3/M5 books. I think, these were only used in tba US before the US entered WWII.
    I have to admit that the roundel by Hottie has merit. I would use the X shape with 13 stars ,if you wanted a roundel. Much as I like the postage stamp shape I think if a roundel were used, it would have been like that. Sorry ,but I've never cared much for roundels. One of the underlying themes of being a true Confederate is tradition. Therefore my standing behind the rectangle rather than a circle. It's the battle flag !!!   However, it is "your build"  do as you think best.

Hotte

And can even be both.
Roundel on the wings (and fuselage?) and postage stamp on Ruder.
Such as in Spain.

Hotte