Seamlines. How much time do you spend to make them disappear?

Started by aerofan, March 19, 2013, 05:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerofan

If you care about making your kit without any visual seamlines, how much time do you spend to make them disappear? I'm asking because I 'm working on a kit that when I spray a grey primer on I can see where the seam is eventhough I have filled, if needed, and sanded the seam down. The kits also has a fit issue that took some time to correct but the area can still be seen. However some people won't notice it but everytime I keep looking at the areas I see a slight bump or dip when I rotate/angle the kit in way so the light hits it right for me to see. Maybe it because I know where to look but I'm wondering if someone, ie an IPMS judge, would see it since they may not know where the seam line is. Any input would be helpful since I fear I'm getting too knit-picky about this.

kerick

If you had a photo it would be easier to tell if it's that big a problem.  Personally I can't stand seeing an actual seam on a model because it just blows the illusion of the model looking real.  My problem is sometimes the paint looks different on the filler I use compared to the plastic.  Sounds like you may have over sanded a little.
How much time to take? Enough time that you are happy and is still fun to build. Being super picky means it can turn into work instead of fun.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on March 19, 2013, 08:40:54 PM
My problem is sometimes the paint looks different on the filler I use compared to the plastic. 

How much time to take? Enough time that you are happy and is still fun to build. Being super picky means it can turn into work instead of fun.

Have to agree with both those staements. Quite often I'm happy with a seam then apply paint and bingo, it's there again  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

When I'm working on them, it seems as if I'm taking too much time. When it's finished, it always looks as if I didn't take enough.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

pyro-manic

I'd say if it's bothering you, then you need to deal with it - you're the one who needs to be happy with the finished result!

Personally, the major seams (ie fuselage halves, wing roots, etc) I spend a fair bit of time on, to make sure they're invisible. Doesn't always work (see the above comments!), but I do my best. Other joints, in less visible places, might get less attention.

It also depends on the finish - a natural metal or glossy single colour will show up the flaws very easily, whereas a grungy camouflage scheme with dirt and dust will hide many problems very effectively. Of course, sometimes this works the other way for me - a particularly ill-fitting kit or stubborn joint may mean my planned shiny display machine ends up very battered and weary!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Father Ennis

Just my 2 cents, I true the edges of parts before I glue. I usually, remove the locating pins,then I use a sanding sheet to true up the mating edges. (Sanding Sheet - a sheet of sand paper glued to a sheet of plexiglass)  This produces a good join and with generous use of liquid glue a fine raised edge. Clean this up once its cured and you should have no visible seam when your done .   I started doing this when I got into japanese anime kits with lots of moveable joints.  I like to have them all working so I can adjust it to the pose I want. It really is simple quick and easy and produces great results and is simple to clean up,too.  Hope this is a help...

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 20, 2013, 01:24:38 PM
I'd say if it's bothering you, then you need to deal with it - you're the one who needs to be happy with the finished result!  <...>

This!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

aerofan

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 20, 2013, 03:32:47 AM
..... Quite often I'm happy with a seam then apply paint and bingo, it's there again  :banghead:

Quote from: The Rat on March 20, 2013, 04:26:20 AM
When I'm working on them, it seems as if I'm taking too much time. When it's finished, it always looks as if I didn't take enough.  :banghead:

I seem to have the same problems as to both statements.

Thanks for you replies. This is not a big seamline problem that will show up on a digital photo but would show up under scrutiny of say a judge. As much as I'd like to have it completed soon, I think I will spend a little more time but not so much that it'll take the fun way from this build.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

The real bugger is when you spend ages making a joint line invisible, then discover that he real thing has a clearly visible panel line in exactly the same place.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChrisF

Quote from: Weaver on March 21, 2013, 03:45:37 PM
The real bugger is when you spend ages making a joint line invisible, then discover that he real thing has a clearly visible panel line in exactly the same place.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BEEN THERE !! A certain Bf109 comes to mind... :/

jcf

Quote from: Father Ennis on March 20, 2013, 01:40:21 PM
Just my 2 cents, I true the edges of parts before I glue. I usually, remove the locating pins,then I use a sanding sheet to true up the mating edges. (Sanding Sheet - a sheet of sand paper glued to a sheet of plexiglass)  This produces a good join and with generous use of liquid glue a fine raised edge. Clean this up once its cured and you should have no visible seam when your done .   I started doing this when I got into japanese anime kits with lots of moveable joints.  I like to have them all working so I can adjust it to the pose I want. It really is simple quick and easy and produces great results and is simple to clean up,too.  Hope this is a help...

Ditto, I do the same thing and it practically eliminates most seams. Even on very old kits.

rickshaw

I usually just scrape a knife blade along the major ones and then when I can't remove any more without it being obvious, I just apply some putty and then sand.  If necessary, I'll then take off and nuke it from orbit if I can't make it disappear!  In the end, it disappears one way or t'other.   ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.