AV-8B + V-22 Hybrid

Started by Patron Zero, March 20, 2013, 08:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patron Zero

Mind a noob poster but long term reader, so be kind please !      ;D

I'm sorting out a kitbash build of a hybrid VTOL aircraft, essentially taking two AV-8B Harriers as underwing powerplants to the main fuselage of a V-22 Osprey.     The V-22 likely a 1/48 scale kit and the AV-8B in 1/72 or 1/48, depending how ratios of pods vs. fuselage workout.

Also allowing the outer Harrier wings to hang ordnance, uncertain if such will fit the space between pod and fuselage.  Seriously considering a pair of GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatlings for the gunship variant, the 'standard' transport would be fitted with a pair of 20mm Vulcans, either cannons as p/s in-fuselage mounts.

Talking about one seriously brutal beast of a jumpjet-VTOL mash-up turned-transport aircraft!

What I was going for was a vehicle capable of doing insertion-extraction of troops in a hostile environment with the potential for air support variants outfitted as gunships.

Mind the Harrier cockpits reworked for suites to house additional avionics or dedicated sensor packages to support ordnance carried aboard the craft.

These are very roughed out WIP schematics, actually first efforts to define the concept but should show the idea clearly enough.

More to follow as plans get more fine tuned.

tc2324

Great idea and will be looking forward to your progress.

May I suggest you think about removing the whole of the Harriers cockpit sections though so that you just have two large intakes. Might make the aircraft look more streamlined?
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

kitnut617

Like TC says, do the engine nacelles like this

Love the idea though   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Robert, what the He11 is that thing!  :blink:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

deathjester

Here's an idea for you: Fit the Harrier fuselages to the wingtips.  Fair in the cockpit of one Harrier to make a blank nosecone, fit a second cockpit to the other for a second crewmember.  Now , cut off the V-22 cockpit, and fit a copy of the rear loading ramp to the front of the fuselage.  Now you have a roll on/ roll off VTOL transport!  :thumbsup:

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Patron Zero

My thanks to everyone for the suggestions and input, as said this is a WIP and still evolving.

This actually started out, in concept, as the 'outrigger' Harrier-pods and a modified Mi-24-35 Hind as the central fuselage, never know might be an offshoot development.  problem there being I would like a ramp door to the rear.

The nose section on the Harrier is definitely getting a rework, just still playing with different ideas but the wider intake has it's merits.

One thing I do want is the 'box tail' design found on a V-22 Osprey, I've been looking at different transport aircraft, C-130s, C-160s, etc, and like the bulky body and landing gear placements but single rudder tail needs 'fixin'.      ;D

At this stage the hurdle overall is getting the 'outriggers' in proportion to the central fuselage so may be a bulked-up pod of AV-8B design.

Joe C-P

Very inventive! I look forward to the result.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Patron Zero

No major updates but did have a side profile for rough comparison. the more I'm looking at the model kits to be used, seems the AV-8B or GR3 might be in 1/48 and the V-22 in 1/72 !

That said, in this view I'm thinking the 'outrigger' pods need to be eased back to the rear, considering a wide connecting tail stabilizer like on a P-38 Lightning or angling the tail assembly like on an AN-225.