monitors with spare cruiser turrets.

Started by tigercat, March 22, 2013, 12:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauragnmon

Not really... all you'd have to do is build it with a farmer's field on either side, so there's plenty of open space.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Weaver

Take a leaf out of Manchester Airport's book and have two parrallel runways, one for each wing's main gears, and a taxiway in between for the tailwheel.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

The serious issue would be weight rather than dimensions, you'd need a really thick
runway.  ;D

Rheged

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 28, 2013, 03:05:56 PM
The serious issue would be weight rather than dimensions, you'd need a really thick
runway.  ;D

And unobtainium wing spars!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 28, 2013, 03:11:34 PM
runway.  ;D

You could build the whole runway out of unobtanium......

I'm not sure they'd FOUND enough of the stuff by mid-WWII mind you, but it'd be technically possible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2013, 04:02:08 PM
Quote from: Rheged on March 28, 2013, 03:11:34 PM
runway.  ;D

You could build the whole runway out of unobtanium......

I'm not sure they'd FOUND enough of the stuff by mid-WWII mind you, but it'd be technically possible.

tank tracks instead of wheels to spread the weight on the ground  ;D
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Sauragnmon

Track units instead of wheels... that reminds me of the Soviet B-4 203mm Howitzer... those things roll on track units rather than wheels too...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Weaver

Well it's not like it hasn't been tried....

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

And that bottom set of tracks has a B-36 perched on top of it!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2013, 11:10:50 PM
And that bottom set of tracks has a B-36 perched on top of it!  :o

backs my theory up nicely  :lol:

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Sauragnmon

I have to say, the most interesting alternative landing gear method I have seen so far was an air cushion landing support... that was kind of neat to see.

Weaver

Quote from: Sauragnmon on March 29, 2013, 10:05:14 AM
I have to say, the most interesting alternative landing gear method I have seen so far was an air cushion landing support... that was kind of neat to see.

There's even a kit of it:

What I want them to do is the QSRA Buffalo so I can put both systems on one airframe: short landing on any surface.... :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

dadlamassu

Quote from: Rheged on March 28, 2013, 02:16:14 AM

Either way,  the civil engineers are going to have an interesting time building runways...........

No need for a runway for a modified Sunderland with longer wings, twin hulls (like a Savoia Marchetti S66)

Add lots of engines.  20mm cannon barbettes at mid-upper, tail positions and fuselage side positions and a 4.5" DP gun used on destroyers in each hull.   Both 4.5" guns set to fire simultaneously.  Or for the faint-hearted a single semi-automatic 4.5" fixed in a wide centre section between the hulls.

rickshaw

You could design a Davis Gun principle weapon which was semi-automatic in operation, utilising a revolving breech system.  The two barrels, fore and aft remain fixed, the breech revolves each round into position and a rotating interrupted screw collar ensures a gas-tight seal.   If you literally designed the barrels as part of the hull's longitudinal structural members it could provide a "back" from which everything else hung.  Rate of fire?  3-6 rounds a minute more than likely.   Recoilless fire power of massive proportions.  A good replacement for the torpedo.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.