Who likes OV-10 Bronco's?

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 25, 2013, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Considering the uniqueness of the Bronco I can really see the float plane version happening.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

You could mount the central float on a pantograph to retract along the fuselage bottom and have the wing floats fold up to the wing-tips.  That would dramatically cut drag.

In real life they proposed the twin float version, not sure if they actually trialled it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

It would be a little uncomfortable for fishing trips up into Canada or Alaska. On the other hand, you could lay a lot of fishing poles in the back.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Way back in IIRC 1969 these two OV-10s staged through Prestwick either to or from the Paris Airshow. Ah! Halcyon days when you could just wander out onto the apron and take photos.
It is interesting that one of them carries the Tri-Service markings.
These are scanned from Kodak 126 slides. Who remembers the old Kodak instamatic with it's 126 film cartridges?

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2013, 07:00:24 PM
LOVE the single float version, up there in bizarreness with the rest of the aeroplane!

Sorry I didn't credit you correctly with the 'windscreen collection' Chris.  :banghead:

Now I really WILL have to get going on the 'CV Shed' when I get home.  ;D
No probs Kit, It was a few years ago now, not to make it sound bad about finishing the CV-10 of course  :rolleyes: :lol:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on March 28, 2013, 12:17:32 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2013, 07:00:24 PM
LOVE the single float version, up there in bizarreness with the rest of the aeroplane!

Sorry I didn't credit you correctly with the 'windscreen collection' Chris.  :banghead:

Now I really WILL have to get going on the 'CV Shed' when I get home.  ;D
No probs Kit, It was a few years ago now, not to make it sound bad about finishing the CV-10 of course  :rolleyes: :lol:
Chris

I've spent some time re-visiting all my CV-10 drawings and data over the last few evenings. I can see a resumption of the build as soon as I get home tomorrow.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

With longer wings.......???  ;D.        I got a few in the stash.....an Airfix one with a belly turret and an A and quite a few D academy ones.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on March 27, 2013, 08:52:16 PM
Considering the uniqueness of the Bronco I can really see the float plane version happening.

Stop giving me ideas  :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Army of One on March 29, 2013, 02:19:04 PM
With longer wings.......???  ;D.       

Naturally.  ;D

The 'real thing' would have had longer wings, see my CV-10 build thread here :-

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23381.0/highlight,cv-10.html
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

ok, i  think were drifting off topic here  :-\

for OV-10 reference, may i suggest the Bronco research thread  :thumbsup:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,11482.0.html
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

famvburg

I was fumbling around looking for OV-10 Bronco stuff and found this thread. FYI, the "oversized handles" on the nose that someone mentioned are oversized because they are some sort of antennae, not handles at all.

McColm

The float planes look great.
Grumman came up with Model 134E, a proposal to add a tilt-wing with four turboprops and perforated flaps to extended OV-1 Mohawk. A horizontal tail rotor used for pitch control.

thesolitarycyclist

Just love the Bronco. Built the airfix one in the 70's and have an Academy OV-10D in my stash. I have a bit of a thing for twin boomers and have a Sea Vixen, P-38M and a Fokker DXXIII in various stages of construction

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 29, 2013, 02:30:06 PM

Naturally.  ;D

Did you finish the build though Kit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on August 11, 2014, 02:08:03 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 29, 2013, 02:30:06 PM

Naturally.  ;D

Did you finish the build though Kit?

Gondor

Not yet, it's still on the 'Projects Shelves' though. Trying to get to the canopy mould done ATM, but it's fighting me....  :banghead:

Regards
Kit