Who likes OV-10 Bronco's?

Started by Spey_Phantom, March 25, 2013, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Ideal for many roles that western air forces find themselves in. Wouldn't mind a handful in RAF service given the expeditionary force role of our armed forces.

sandiego89

Indeed, a well suited airframe for the past 10 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hang some hellfires on there.   

I think the problem with the Bronco is that it was never sexy enough for the top brass and since it was already paid for, absoultely no interest from congress or the military/industrial complex.  They want to build high dollar new aircraft, while ignoring the likes of the Bronco.   :banghead:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

JayBee

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 19, 2014, 05:54:16 AM
Hang some hellfires on there.   

Now that gives me some serious ideas.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

The Bronco's Garrett T-76s are pretty 'old school' these days and would probably drink loads more fuel than a more modern turbo-prop. Early PT-6s were around a same power levels and a later version might give a useful increase, which opens up such an idea to people like us...  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Erm! that article was written nearly 9 months ago (seem to remember it being brought up before -- here or on another forum)  ---- so would mean by the time the journalist got hold of the story, that would be about a year ago the test was completed
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Aragorn

"Den Luftraum über See, beherrscht das MFG" (The aerospace over the seas is ruled by the German Navy Air Arm)

jcf

People are reading things into that article which aren't there. The two aircraft were used
to test light air support concepts/techniques, even if the ideas tested are adopted, it
doesn't automatically follow that the OV-10 would be used to implement the techniques
in the field.

Funding expired at the end of September 2013, testing evidently ended in June 2013.

The USN ran an earlier program called Imminent Fury ( who comes up with these names  :banghead: )
using a Super Tucano. That didn't go anywhere either.

Captain Canada

I'd love to see them back in service....I'll take some for the CDN Army pls

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

crudebuteffective

Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Go4fun

"Just which planet are you from again"?

upnorth

With regards to the floatplane idea on the previous page, an idea struck me:

What about just giving it a boat hull and making a flying boat out of it?

I don't think it would be that hard to shift the engines to mount on top of the wings for better prop clearance and a set of retractable wing tip floats, in the style of the Catalina could be doable.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

zenrat

Bear with me caller and i'll go and grab one to measure...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Here you are caller.  Sorry for the wait.

Quote from: Flyer on September 02, 2014, 07:25:39 PM...what is the width of the inside of the cockpit (wall to wall)?

11mm

Quote from: Flyer on September 02, 2014, 07:25:39 PMand the height from the fuselage floor to the inside of the clear canopy roof of that kit?

Tricky to measure without building it as the canopy is in 4 parts.  But it looks to be 20mm at the rear and 15mm at the front. That is however the height from the bottom of the fuselage.  You need to allow 3mm for the floor and nose wheel bay so say 17mm & 12mm.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

No wuckers.
Note i've amended my measurements since you thanked me.
Fred