1/72 DH Venom

Started by rickshaw, March 31, 2013, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Has there ever been any 1/72 DH Venom kits around, other than the CMR resin ones?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mr.Creak

Frog did a Sea Venom, it may still be around as a Novo kit.
What if... I had a brain?

CANSO

Quote from: Mr.Creak on March 31, 2013, 07:46:38 PM
Frog did a Sea Venom, it may still be around as a Novo kit.
Eastern express actually. They even sell it here (box is missing).

rickshaw

I'm asking about the DH Venom, a single-seat RAF fighter-bomber, not the Sea Venom, a RN FAA all-weather fighter...

PR19_Kit

AFAIK Aeroclub did a single-seater Venom, but it's probably OOP by now, sad to say.

I've looked at combining bits from the old Frog/Novo/Eastern Express mould with the equally ancient Frog Vampire FB5 to make a single-seater but ran into difficulties with the fatter fuselage you need to cover the portly Ghost engine. Cutting and shutting the Sea Venom fuselage results in lots of gaps needing mega-PSR work around the nose.

I've already got a Venom NF3 under way using the same technique but that doesn't taper so much toward the nose.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

NOVO and Eastern Express both did the FROG FAW.22.

I've done the Sea Venom/Vampire cut and shunt to get a Venom FB.4 and it really does work (article in SAM on how to do it appeared donkeys years ago).  Fortunately I've an Aeroclub FB.1 and a NOVO Sea Venom in the stash.

Contact sales@aeroclub-models.com to see whether John has any Venoms in stock, he did the FB.1 and FB.4 so you need to be spcific.  otherwise it's the 2nd hand traders and Ebay.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on April 01, 2013, 03:13:13 AM
I've done the Sea Venom/Vampire cut and shunt to get a Venom FB.4 and it really does work (article in SAM on how to do it appeared donkeys years ago).  Fortunately I've an Aeroclub FB.1 and a NOVO Sea Venom in the stash.

If you can rustle up some more info on that kitbash I'd be very interested, please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2013, 05:17:42 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 01, 2013, 03:13:13 AM

If you can rustle up some more info on that kitbash I'd be very interested, please?

I'll delve into my references, scan and then what?  PM or e-mail, Kit?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Yes, Aeroclub does/did a 1/72 Venom FB.1 and FB.4, got one of each in the stash. Will be built OOB.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

dwomby

There was also a RarePlanes vacform and an ancient (but pretty accurate) Frog 1950s issue of a single seater Venom.

Here: http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=161239  and here: http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/FROG_1_72_DH_Venom_FB_4_327P__about31365.html.

I have the article on kitbashing one from the Frog Sea Venom and Vampire FB5 if needed.

David

The Wooksta!

The Aeroclub Venom is long gone.  I doubt John still has the moulds but may be worth emailing him anyway.

I've one somewhere but it's one of his earlier kits (1989/90?) and quite rough, on a par with mid/late 80s Pegasus kits.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Whatever suits please Dave, and if dwomby can come up with it too, so much the better.

I'd forgotten the Rareplanes Venom too, and bizarrely I may even have one, but goodness knows where.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

My own feeling is that the Rareplanes kit is best thought as a conversion kit for the Frog/Novo/Insert current boxing Sea Venom.  IIRC it came with injection or white metal u/c.  In any case, these are available from Aeroclub as they were Vampire gear anyway.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Westway's does a 1/72 Venom but I fear it would be way out of my league - http://www.westway-aircraft-models.com/index.html

dwomby

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2013, 10:24:05 AM
Whatever suits please Dave, and if dwomby can come up with it too, so much the better.

I have the SAM article and a less-detailed one from PAM.  PM me your email address and I'll send both in a zipfile.

David