Organising plastic strip, rod, and tube.

Started by seadude, April 06, 2013, 01:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

From time to time, I've read various threads on model forums showing what people's workbenches look like, either messy or organised. The only modeling space I have is the kitchen table, with a few shelves off to the side in a small nook. I've been organising and cleaning things up the last two days, but there's one issue I'm having trouble with: How does everybody organise and store the long strip, rod, and tube, etc. that you get from Evergreen or Plastruct, or elsewhere? I need some good ideas. If you got a pic of how you organise/store plastic rod/strip, then please show if possible. ;)  Thanks.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

scooter

For a lot of my storage, I used a plastic rollaway multi-drawer storage thing.  I've also take to using desktop storage drawers from Staples for paints and nonsuch
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Go4fun

I used to use verical tubes on a base or inner door for rod, tubing and bars. PVC is easy to glue and you can get glue on caps. I keep sheet plactic in drawers.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

kerick

I cut some 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe into 4 to 6 inch pieces and glued them to a plastic base. Also I keep rod and such inn their plastic bags in a drawer for a computer keyboard. This stores it all right below my desk top.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

I have some long drawers intended for CDs from an old storage unit.

When I first got some Evergreen, I decanted it all so it was loose, first in vertical tubes, then in the drawer. Big mistake: you end up endlessly measuring and comparing it to figure out what's what and how much you've got of any given size. Now I leave it in the packets, even though they take up a bit more room: much easier to figure out what you've got and not got.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

I have been using a simple, old (and heavy) marmelade glass... does the part on the table for single strips and packs.

Father Ennis

I just store strip,rod,etc., in the original bags. I need to know what I have and/or need to get more. I store the bags in the large box from a model I "finished". For the workbench, I just use a couple of the bags to hold my ready use supplies. I store my modeling and metal working tools in an old chest of drawers my neighbours were going to throw away. I got drawer pulls from some other things my neighbour had cleaned out of his garage. Total cost : 0$US.