Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I had to email my boss to find out as I knew that I was on furlough until today, this "reminder" got a resonce that there was enough work to warrent a return to work for me. Not looking forward to the early starts again though. On the upside, not seen petrol prices so low whilst I have had a car.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on May 29, 2020, 05:58:57 AM
got a resonce that there was enough work to warrent a return to work for me.

Gondor

That's good to hear.

I still get up regularly at 5-30/6-00 am. Got into the habit over so many years and I've always been a morning person. Any latter than 7-30 and I feel I've wasted the day and just can't get going.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 29, 2020, 06:17:14 AM

I still get up regularly at 5-30/6-00 am. Got into the habit over so many years and I've always been a morning person. Any latter than 7-30 and I feel I've wasted the day and just can't get going.

I know what you mean Chris, I do the same and then decide if I'm going to leap into action, or just laze there and ponder on the state of the world etc.  ;D

It's nice to have the option after all this time.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 29, 2020, 06:17:14 AM
<...>

Talk of morning persons always reminds me of this bit of Internet greatness:
QuotePeople are always like "are you a morning person or a night person" and I'm like buddy I'm barely even a person.

;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I drive "El prometido" a little crazy with the fact that I , at times, will persue a tiny detail about something far further than she would or anyone else she knows for that matter.

This time the point in detail is the F-102 and the Case X and Case XX wings. You may have noticed that I am building the Grand Models TF-102 conversion set. I have also bought their decal set for the aircraft which has several choices on it. I have decided on 54-1367 of the 196th FIS, California ANG. The serial is depicted a 0-1367 as it was the practice at the time for aircraft over ten years old to receive the number zero to replace the year digit. This was probably done to avoid confusion as to which year an aircraft was built and to avoid the same number appearing on two different aircraft. A case in point would be an aircraft serialed 64-1367 would be shown the same as the option I am using as 4-1367 so the older aircraft has the year digit replaced with a 0.

Anyway, back to the case of the F-102 wing. The conversion set said it was suitable for either type of wing which got me to wondering how do I know which type is suitable for the aircraft I wanted to build? I had found through my research that the Case xx wing was introduced from F-102A 56-1317. OK, so my choice of aircraft was earlier than that so the next question was were the case XX wings retrospectively fitted to earlier aircraft?

With receiving Detail & Scale Vol35 today I was able to answer that question as a caption for a couple of photographs at the top of page 53 stated that Beginning with F-102A, 56-1317, the cambered Case XX (Case Twenty) replaced the Case X wing. It should be noted that it was not retrofitted to earlier aircraft Hurrah!!! I have my answer!!!!  :drink:

I am satisfied, Replete with knowledge gleaned from dark and hidden corners which should have been in other places as well as this one book!!!
But I am glad I found it out so I am able to correctly portray the aircraft I am modelling.

This now begs the question, which version of F-102 is the rather dated Hasegawa kit? The Meng kit, which is rather lovely, is available in either wing type but Hasegawa was only made as one type.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

How does one tell one wing from another?

I've got a Hase Duece kit somewhere, probably buried under the bathroom ceiling........  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

The wing outboard from the wing fence is different. The Case XX wing is cambered all the way to the tip while the Case X isn't.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I still don't know what thar round thing is or what colour it's supposed to be either.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

After digging the 102 kit out from under the collapsed bathroom ceiling I realised that it's actually a FROG kit, but it's from the same moulds as the Hase original.

The cambered LE continues out after the wing fence to within about 2ft from the tip and then it turns quite sharply upward. Is that a Case X wing?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 03, 2020, 12:01:14 AM
After digging the 102 kit out from under the collapsed bathroom ceiling I realised that it's actually a FROG kit, but it's from the same moulds as the Hase original.

The cambered LE continues out after the wing fence to within about 2ft from the tip and then it turns quite sharply upward. Is that a Case X wing?

Yes it is so it is correct for any aircraft before 56-1317 including the two seaters.

That could be a nice little thing for Colin to, an F-102A update set for the Hasegawa kit which could or could not have the Case XX tips depending if that variant was in the option. Basic update set would be for the cockpit and a different set for the Case XX version would include new wing tips as well.

Gondor

Gondor

I noticed on Facebook a Sea Harrier that someone had built. Indian Navy job and not the usual Flying Tiger Squadron. Now some of you may have noticed that I do like using the Indian armed forces as a background for some of my builds. Not being widely know and operating aircraft from both sides of the former Iron Curtain leads to an interesting mix of aircraft types so that Joe Public has no idea if the Indians fly or flew a particular aircraft or not.
Anyway, I asked him if he would make me some decals and he said yes, costs etc would be covered by me of course but then I would have markings for a Sea Harrier squadron not normally seen on the UK modelling circuit and it's nice being that little bit different  :-\

Gondor

Gondor

Hopeing that I receive a package from ebay tomorrow as it would be my build for the one week group build. We shall see if that happens or not though

Gondor

Gondor

Well my idea for a one week group build entry went out the window when the kit never showed up. In fact it's now two weeks since it should have been delivered and although I havent received the kit I have received a refund from the seller. Another kit has been ordered from a different seller which I hope turnes up as the idea with a slight tweak might be eligable for a protatye group build entry.
The build will follow the K.I.S.S formula, and I don't mean the American Rock Band with a parchant for painting their faces, Keep It Stupidly Simple, although the last two words can be swapped around depending on who yuor talking to  :rolleyes:

Gondor