Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Minor rant about public transport, especially Scotrail who think that people can exit a train, go into the building at the platform, show their ticket to the staff there so they can get through the barriers as tickets only work once at any station  :rolleyes: climb several flights of stairs to cross a bridge, go down the same number of stairs, I have counted them, and then pass through the unmanned side of the station with its own set of barriers and then board another train, in two minutes! I doubt that Usain Bolt could do that!
If I miss the train, I have just under half an hour for the next one and then no guarantee that the bus I normally catch at the other end will not have gone already as well!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Both trains will be late of course.  Just hope the second one is later than the first.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Must admit I'm glad we have a reasonably well integrated transport system within Greater London
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 29, 2021, 06:05:04 AM

Must admit I'm glad we have a reasonably well integrated transport system within Greater London

Sadly the rest of the country isn't as well arranged, mainly because it's all run by DIFFERENT companies, none of whom give a damn about any of the others.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 29, 2021, 07:25:34 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 29, 2021, 06:05:04 AM

Sadly the rest of the country isn't as well arranged, mainly because it's all run by DIFFERENT companies, none of whom give a damn about any of the others.  :banghead:

Something I experience every time I visit my family in the North East Kit. Luckily they live on the Metro line so I can get into Sunderland or Newcastle, but other places take planning  :-\  I'm especially affected by not driving.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I was thinking of becoming a bit more adventurous with my cooking. Middle Eastern Fritters sounded good but I decided they were too much falafel  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

I know some of you use Vallejo paints. I was thinking of getting some now that I have decided to move my shopping trip to Wonderland Models to this Friday coming, unless the weather is really bad as I will be off that day due to an appointment for an X-ray mid morning so no point travelling to work that day.
My question about the paint is this, Is the paint only available for airbrush use and if so can it be brush painted?

Gondor

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on October 30, 2021, 11:38:06 AM
I know some of you use Vallejo paints. I was thinking of getting some now that I have decided to move my shopping trip to Wonderland Models to this Friday coming, unless the weather is really bad as I will be off that day due to an appointment for an X-ray mid morning so no point travelling to work that day.
My question about the paint is this, Is the paint only available for airbrush use and if so can it be brush painted?

Gondor
That would depend.
Theres the standard Vallejo range and then theres the Vallejo Air range. Guess which one is optimised for airbrushing.........
Mind you, ive never had problems brush painting with the Air range either.

To my mind they do some of the best acylic metalics ive used so far.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

TBH, if you have a paint you're happy using for both brushing and spraying, stick with it.  Why fix what isn't broken?

Everyone seems to fall for the latest fad with paints, be it Vallejo, Hataka, whatever, simply because some overpaid arrogant numpty writing for the glossy "magazines" says its the best thing since sliced bread, only to change his mind when the next new set of paints come out. The recipient of said "advice", who's been daft enough to shell out a small fortune on a set of paints from one manufacturer, goes off to by yet another set of paints, chasing what they perceive to be a benefit, only to have to do it again when the "influencers" change their tune.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

I like Vallejo, but Lee's right.  Is there a reason to change or are you getting influenced?

Whatever, I have a mixture of Vallejo acrylics - both "air" and brush.  I find the thicker ones need to be thinned a bit for brushing while the thinner ones need more coats than i'd like.
Some of their colour matches seem suspect but they appear to have an active programme of correcting this as I have found the names changed when replacing an empty by buying the same stock number.  And the numbers changed when buying by name.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Looking at getting some not because it's the latest fad or anything other than haveing seen OGL post a pick some time ago of the Metalics he got and I am also going to keep an eye out for the Hataka Black set.

Gondor

Gondor

Having the day off work on Friday was nice, good weather too. Downside the local bus service. Apparently the local bus depot is short twenty two drivers! That doesn't help matters when your trying to get to a medical appointment and using a time table that doesn't reflect the scaling down of services due to lack of drivers. A quick walk and then a run to catch a bus, almost an argument with the driver as I put my pass on the card reader, he complains that I don't have a mask on, I said "I Know" told him where I wanted to go as I took said mask out pf my pocket and put it on. I cant put on the mask when running for the bus or putting my pass on his card reader at the same time!. At least doing it my way was supposed to be quicker.
Anyway, got to the bus station, less than half way to my destination, no busses going in the direction I wanted until the time of my appointment  :-\ Fortunately a reasonable distance away is the Train Station, no the train does not go anywhere near where I want to go but it does have a taxi rank  :thumbsup:
£4 and a few minutes later and I arrive a few minutes before my appointment. Hurrah!
Right knee X-Raye'd and no paper gown needed to be worn, cotton or something fabric and the building was warm along with there being a flap that covered the gap down the side of said gown.
Didn't take long to get all done then off out and headding to Edinburgh for a bit of time exploring bus routs and some shopping!
A nice plush Inter-City coach to get me to Edinburgh, I think I will have to carry a phone charger cable with me next time as the coach and some trains have USB ports which means you can charge any device that is USB compatible.
So a nice comfortable journey interupted by one passenger wanting to go to Cumbernauld and being told where to go, a bus stop on the opposite side of the street to go back to where we had started so they could get the correct bus, we were in Boness at the time and headding East when she needed to be going a darn sight more west than we were  :rolleyes:
Off the coach in the middle of Princes street so I walked to McDonald's to get lunch before headding to Wonderland Models.
The shop hasn't changed in the the last couple or so years since I last visited it. Managed to find the items I needed to get then spent some time trying to decide what to buy. Very tempted by the latest Zvezda Hercules kit, the Extended fuselage J version, also tempted by a 1/48 Javalin but then found a few items  by Valom, the rest as they say is history and in the "My Stash Grew Again" thread.
Came home on the slow bus as it's the bus I have to catch if I am returning home from work and I wanted to fill in the gaps of my knowledge of the route. This may help in the future as the bus I have been getting from Livingston is notoriously late so knowing which alternative villages to catch the bus I need helps.
Anyway, it's getting late. Night All

Gondor

NARSES2

Reading your transport woes makes me realise how lucky we are in London to have a reasonably well integrated system

Gondor

Wonderful  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

My web browser needed an update which I did. It has now lost all my saved bookmarks and passwords and is unable to process the back up file so all 1555 bookmarks are gone  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor

P.S.: A while later while attempting to uninstall Firefox it asked if I wanted to refresh the install, and that worked!

Only thing is that all the page size settings and the layout of the browser are all over the place.

TheChronicOne

I haaaaaate it sometimes when they do updates that seem to make things worse or cause problems. Glad you got them back.
-Sprues McDuck-