Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Reheat might have done them, but I don't know if they are still going. I found some of their etched instrument bezel sets a few days back.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Yes, they did, but went TU some time ago. There used to be a fair amount of Reheat stuff on eBay, but I don't look there very often these days, what with their exorbitant delivery prices.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Again thanks guys. Realised a bit later that what I was thinking of was Mike Grant Decals.

Got another message from Hannants this afternoon. The Airfix Tempest V is in stock.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Quote from: Gondor on March 03, 2022, 11:12:49 AM
Haveing recently taken ownership of a 1/144 Handley Page Hastings C.1 I am starting to wonder if there are any 1/144 air droppable Land Rovers to sling under it

Gondor

RetroKit do a Mk.3 Land Rover in resin.
From vague memory NavWar did a small white metal Land Rover. Might have been smaller than 1/144 but not by much! Ebay is your best bet for that. Think I gave mine to Steel Penguin  :unsure:

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on March 04, 2022, 07:55:43 AM

I am wanting to get some 1/72 instrument faces as decals. I know such things are available in larger scales, again finding such things is not as easy as national markings for an aircraft, I am sure though that this comunity can point me in the right direction.

Mike Grant did some a few years ago, not sure if he still does. However you are more than welcome to mine as they are way beyond my eyesight at the moment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

As for the Tempests, I'm in Tempest Heaven at the moment  ;D Both ordered, been waiting ages for the pair. Be interesting to see how the Airfix and KP Mk V's compare and the Mk II is one of my absolutely favourite aircraft.  :wub:

The MK II boxing I've ordered has a SEAC operated aircraft as one of the markings options, not sure if it's a wif or not as it's a Research Aircraft. Need to check it out, but mine will be Tiger Force anyway.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Well so much for my attempt at keeping the spending down a bit this month. Three items on my Hannants back list have recently come into stock  :banghead:

The first was a SNCASO SO.4050 Vautour IIB which is for my Israeli collection. I had aslo added in some decals for Hunter's and a ladder to dress one of the Hunter's I am building.

A couple of days later I decided that it might be better to get some more ladders so a small order to the Big H went in.

Towards the end of the week I get notification that another item on my backorder list is in stock, the KP Tempest Mk II "Export" version. Not bothered about RAF versions at the moment as I have enough decals to satisfy my initial lust for the Mk II. Then yesterday I am notified that the Airfix Tempest Mk V is in stock.

So yet another order goes in. Two of the Airfix Kits, one will be a Mk.VI using the Freightdog conversion set and one with probably different decals, the KP Tempest Mk II and a PP Aeroparts detail set for the Hunter as it has both ladders and blanking plates for the intakes as well as the other detail stuff.

This means I will have five of the KP Tempests, one of which is a Mk V boxing so has no spares, but I already have three Mk VI's and with the Mk II that will give me four Mk V engines that I can use for a Revell Lancaster. I must look up the codeds for EG to find out which squadron used those letters so the Lancaster can be coded EG:G as in power egg  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Quote from: Nick on March 04, 2022, 04:04:18 PM
Quote from: Gondor on March 03, 2022, 11:12:49 AM
Haveing recently taken ownership of a 1/144 Handley Page Hastings C.1 I am starting to wonder if there are any 1/144 air droppable Land Rovers to sling under it

Gondor

RetroKit do a Mk.3 Land Rover in resin.
From vague memory NavWar did a small white metal Land Rover. Might have been smaller than 1/144 but not by much! Ebay is your best bet for that. Think I gave mine to Steel Penguin  :unsure:

Did a little research yesterday afternoon for photographic evidence of Hastings carrying external loads as there is next to zero in the Warpaint book or Wikipedia page. Found out it was Jeeps that were carried underneath or canisters of equipment for the Parra's.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on March 05, 2022, 03:28:19 AM

Did a little research yesterday afternoon for photographic evidence of Hastings carrying external loads as there is next to zero in the Warpaint book or Wikipedia page. Found out it was Jeeps that were carried underneath or canisters of equipment for the Parra's.

Yes, when I lived at Abingdon 47 and 24 Sqdn's Hastings quite often had the Paras's heavy weapons and stuff pre-loaded into the panniers before take off. They'd come back from a drop without them and have new ones uploaded. I don't recall ever seeing them load a Jeep that way, but I was at school some of the time.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Everything fits untill you apply glue  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor

I have a bit of a quandary for the colour scheme of a Hunter that I am building.

It's a bit of a mongrel as it uses a Revell 1/72 kit as the basis with a Freightdog P.1101 two seat conversion, a Silver Cloud/Freightdog P.1083 Supersonic Hunter set and a Freightdog P.1109B  set thrown in for good measure.

So the time period is mid to late 1960's but what colours do I paint it? Should I say it's a two seat Fighter or an armed Trainer? This would also help determine the colour scheme which if it's the trainer would be all over Aluminium/High Speed Silver with yellow bands. If it's a Fighter I am thinking a Gloss finish to Aluminium/High Speed Silver with Green/Grey topsides and no leading edge wrap around.

Ideas/suggestions please.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

There's various schemes - Aluminium with Yellow stripes, Aluminium with Dayglo panels or stripes.  All black for 111 as the Black Arrows, overall Roundel Blue for 92.

Basically, hit the references.  That's what I did when I was trying to work out what the Harrier (supersonic Huntsman) was going to go in.  Never did decide and will be going similar to the Matchbox HS125 with overall white with a blue cheatline and a 26 sqn crest.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Lee I am partly wondering about it's roll. Have I built a two seat supersonic weapons trainer or just a two seat trainer.I think probably the former but if someone comes up with a good argument the other way.....

Gondor

EDIT: Decided that I will add something to look like a radar scope for the backseater to look into which doesn't remove the Armed Trainer option but does remove the Pure trainer option.

The Wooksta!

I'd still recommend hitting the references, because the schemes in the Airfile  Hunter book by Neil Robinson would help, although there's probably too much choice.

The tandem approach is more pure flying, whereas the side by side approach was thought better for weapons delivery training. So Hawker went down that route.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on March 05, 2022, 03:16:50 AM
Well so much for my attempt at keeping the spending down a bit this month. Three items on my Hannants back list have recently come into stock  :banghead:

The first was a SNCASO SO.4050 Vautour IIB which is for my Israeli collection. I had aslo added in some decals for Hunter's and a ladder to dress one of the Hunter's I am building.

A couple of days later I decided that it might be better to get some more ladders so a small order to the Big H went in.

Towards the end of the week I get notification that another item on my backorder list is in stock, the KP Tempest Mk II "Export" version. Not bothered about RAF versions at the moment as I have enough decals to satisfy my initial lust for the Mk II. Then yesterday I am notified that the Airfix Tempest Mk V is in stock.

So yet another order goes in. Two of the Airfix Kits, one will be a Mk.VI using the Freightdog conversion set and one with probably different decals, the KP Tempest Mk II and a PP Aeroparts detail set for the Hunter as it has both ladders and blanking plates for the intakes as well as the other detail stuff.

This means I will have five of the KP Tempests, one of which is a Mk V boxing so has no spares, but I already have three Mk VI's and with the Mk II that will give me four Mk V engines that I can use for a Revell Lancaster. I must look up the codeds for EG to find out which squadron used those letters so the Lancaster can be coded EG:G as in power egg  :rolleyes:

Gondor

'EG' was 487 (NZ) Squadron, RAF
There is a list of Codes/Serials on http://www.adf-serials.com.au/rnzafww11.htm
Oops, No there's not, but I have found a list somewhere on t'web, a little trawling should see you right.