Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Doing a little organising ready for the next batch of builds and can I find some parts that Lee sent me! Can I heck! I did at one point try and sort a lot of the stuff that Lee has given me over the years and to put them into one container, in fact I have found most of what Lee have given me, just this one part though and I know that I have a few so this is not a request for any more just an exclimation of frustration  :banghead:  :banghead:

Talking obout finding things. THe gunsight for The Mule has turned up. It had ended up not very far away from it's launch point

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 10, 2023, 11:01:47 AMTalking obout finding things. THe gunsight for The Mule has turned up. It had ended up not very far away from it's launch point

But how many orbits had it done?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Probably more than Virgin Orbit did  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 10, 2023, 01:07:40 PMProbably more than Virgin Orbit did  :rolleyes:

Just what I was thinking..............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

To quote Galaxy Quest, "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"! I found the parts I was looking for, well part anyway. I found the old margarine tubs that a whole lot of parts had been stored in, and then I had reorganised my modelling bench and moved them, to the opposite end of the room where they got buried under a pile of other stuff  :rolleyes: 
So just need decals and my Mauler build will be ready. Just the slight matter of a couple of P.1027's to build first as well as finishing off the Mule, the Skyvan and the Italian Fighter.

Gondor

Gondor

Had to do a little reorganising of the bench today. One of the things that I got in the post today was an EMBA paint rack which in this case is for the HATAKA paint bottles that I use and which I have some on order with one full rack already as seen here

So first up assemble the rack, nice and easy with very little glue required then make space for it  :-\

I was going to mount it just below the previous rack, however when I slid it into place beneath the existing unit I realised that there was not much of a gap between the two so why bother to fit it to the repurposed book shelfs?

The down side was that it takes up a bit more space than what was there befor it, a magazine/file holder that I use for keeping plastic card in, so I have had to reorganise the tools and storage I had there. It now looks like this....

Still a mess but a more organised mess.

Gondor

Pellson

Aaaah!! A clean building desk! My eyes!!

;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Every time I see someone else's modelling space it makes me realise mine is not as untidy as I think it is  :angel:

Good to see the recycled egg cartons and spread tubs  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 11, 2023, 11:16:10 PMEvery time I see someone else's modelling space it makes me realise mine is not as untidy as I think it is  :angel:

Good to see the recycled egg cartons and spread tubs  :thumbsup:

I also use Ferrero chocolate containers along with the Egg boxes initially for Humbrol paint tins but the egg boxes have included Xtracolor, Revell, Tamyia and almost whatever else I have other than the Hataka paints.
Admittedly the Tamyia paints are a bit of a squeeze to get in but they fit.

Gondor

Gondor

Progress has been made on a few things, Tempests! Two P.1027 conversions have been started and an F.2 has been continued although that hit a bump in the road when I found or rather could not find one of the sprues which happens to have the control column on it  :banghead:
Lots of gnashing of teeth and wailing did not ensue but searching through closed boxes and piles of open boxes with part started project ensued to no avail. All was not lost I thought, buy a replacement set on line and borrow one from another kit in the meantime. Great idea but no luck in finding the type I was looking for. When checking further boxes I realised that I had been going to make this conversion using the Heller Tempest so that was now available as a source of spares! So a little ferreting around in the relevant box and a snip of the cutters and I now have the correct type of control column, it looks a little short compaired to the KP version but no matter, it's there!

Gondor

Gondor

I have also been working on a KP Tempest Mk.II along with all the various other builds. Chris and others have had problems with this version so forwarded is forearmed as they say. I had already glued the wings together, earlier today I glued the fuselage together, I wish I had not glued the fuselage at the front or added a thin shim as there is a slight gap between the fuselage sides and the tops of the wings, no huge gaps so filler should sort that out. The engine parts had been glued together but I found the cockpit end was too wide so I swapped that for parts from another kit, the glued engine is not going to go to waste. The lower wing fronts were glued in place and the upper parts will be glued in place once the engine is in place. I have filed down the joint between the cockpit end of the parts to reduce the width so hopefully what I have done will reduce the amount of filling later, we shall see.

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on January 15, 2023, 02:24:33 PMI have also been working on a KP Tempest Mk.II
Gondor

Best of luck with it. I'm so disappointed with the kit, but a lot of that is probably because it's one of my 3 all time favourite aircraft.  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I've yet to start mine, largely as I have a load of stalled Matchbox ones, but it cannot possibly as bad a build as the Special Hobby one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 16, 2023, 05:44:21 AMI've yet to start mine, largely as I have a load of stalled Matchbox ones, but it cannot possibly as bad a build as the Special Hobby one.

I have one of those in my stash so at some point I will see how well I can do with it. No promises though.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

The resin flatly refused to fit. I sanded the wheel well insert so much that the top was see thru and it still didn't fit. Had to sand down the other mating surface and the inside of the wing. I lost all will to live and chucked it back in the box. IIRC I donated all three of mine to a mate.  The Matchbox one was good enough for my purposes and I have a CMR  one somewhere to do a proper one.

Their Sea Fury by contrast was a blast.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic