Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Just been looking at the KP Tempest Mk.II I have been building. It might end up in the bin if I don't manage to get the wings off it  :banghead:  :banghead:

Darn things are not level where they need to be so they need remedial work and possibly something to get the inner wings flat and not gull shaped  :banghead:  :banghead:

Let's just say I am not happpy with it in many ways so that if I do bin it, something that I very, very rarely do with a kit, then I will not be disappointed and put it down as experiance for building the next one. Just thinking that I may have realised what is wrong, or at least something to look into, and that's the sections of the leading edge that are seperate, could they possibly be too long so forceing the wing to change shape? Something to look into I think.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Stick to it, Alistair. You'll always learn something. Or whiff it to pieces, worst case. You'll manage!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on January 17, 2023, 12:27:03 PMStick to it, Alistair. You'll always learn something. Or whiff it to pieces, worst case. You'll manage!  :thumbsup:

If I find out what is wrong I will post it here so the next person will not have the same problem, I hope  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 17, 2023, 01:18:22 PM
Quote from: Pellson on January 17, 2023, 12:27:03 PMStick to it, Alistair. You'll always learn something. Or whiff it to pieces, worst case. You'll manage!  :thumbsup:

If I find out what is wrong I will post it here so the next person will not have the same problem, I hope  :-\

Gondor

I'm looking forward to reading that. I have no doubts whatsoever that you'll trace the problem.  :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on January 17, 2023, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: Gondor on January 17, 2023, 01:18:22 PM

Gondor

I'm looking forward to reading that. I have no doubts whatsoever that you'll trace the problem.  :thumbsup:

Make one of those Dieselpunk looking flying monstrosities out of instead of tossing it into the trash can. I've been wanting to try that for sometime now. Can't decide if I want to use a Corsair or something else.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

I think I may have a solution to the problem but don't know if I can find a readily available source of material, flat brass rod. Might be worth a trip into Edinburgh either on Friday or Saturday, by bus as that's free for me  ;D
The Airfix Tempest has one peice upper wings as well as lower wings and the undercarriage bay walls are one peice where as the KP kit has seperate undercarriage bays and seperate upper wing parts so they are easily distorted unless you get everything just right.

The company I work for has a tradition of giving out Christmas presents to everyone and for the last couple of years it has been £50 Amazon vouchers. I got mine of Monday due to haveing been off sick the last working week of last year and the first working week of this year. So add in a voucher from my parents and I had a nice sum to speand, which I did and I even had to top up for mainly the postage on a couple of items. Modelling related I got the Airfix 1/48 Avro Anson which looks absolutely great, still to come are a couple of books and a CD, but items that arrived today were the Anson and a DVD of Gerry Anderson's UFO, The Complete Series, all 26 Episodes Digitaly Remastered  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor

Not a happy modeller because I managed to break my favourite file  :banghead:  :banghead:

This is one of the "old fashion" cut files rather than these new fangled diamond dust things and fortunatly it's only the tip that's broken but I have had this thing for decades, so long in fact that I don't remember when I got it, probably last century at any rate.

Gondor

Pellson

I have a few sets of small "needle files" bought from a car parts dealer. Cheap, ten files to the set and reasonable if not impressive quality. Maybe that's something available for you too?

Rick Lowe

Botheration... I know what that's like; I have 3 triangular files, 2 of which are sans points...  :banghead:

zenrat

I remember as a child learning that you don't use your dads needle files to lever open tins of enamel paint... :unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on January 27, 2023, 02:54:38 AMI remember as a child learning that you don't use your dads needle files to lever open tins of enamel paint... :unsure:

Oops... sounds like something I would have done... :banghead:

Rheged

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 27, 2023, 03:09:42 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 27, 2023, 02:54:38 AMI remember as a child learning that you don't use your dads needle files to lever open tins of enamel paint... :unsure:

You are most unlikely to have done that more than once!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on January 27, 2023, 06:56:54 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 27, 2023, 03:09:42 AM

You are most unlikely to have done that more than once!

Indeed!  ;D

Gondor

I use an old screwdriver both to open and stir my tins of paint.

Gondor

Gondor

Not much been hapening modelling wise, in fact not much been happening full stop other than the four letter word that takes up most of my week days.

Gondor