Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 17, 2023, 04:13:04 PMI might have a spare Aeroclub Meteor spine that is unlikely to be used. Yours if you want it, along with a resin FR nose and some dead Airfix F3 bits.

I'm more inspired by this photo and thinking about a similarly armed NF14 but with a pointier nose.

Thanks for the offer Lee but I am covered now, just depends on when the Aeroclub set arrives. I suppose I could alwasy start the build and then add the spine and tail when they arrive if it comes to that.

You mean like the top left one here Lee

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on February 17, 2023, 03:12:27 PMI have one like a pen with a special tip. Use it freehand or with a metal ruler. Score the shiny side a few time and tap it gently with a hammer.

Just make sure you have loads of spare tiles as it never works first time.  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Got a Dremmel Alastair?
They can cut tiles if you have the correct cutting wheel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

So far the cutting tool I am using is not doing too bad, it cuts where I want it to, it does however cause the part I want to be broken into two pieces as well, not too much of a problem as it's a clean break and the parts are not very wide and are going into a corner so the join will be hidden and if not I have gloss white paint to help camouflage the join.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Just done a count, only four more of these thin tiles to make. There should be a fifth one right at the top but that is getting really thin up near the ceiling as the wall it is abutting to tilts inwards slightly  :banghead:

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Gondor on February 18, 2023, 02:19:50 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 17, 2023, 04:13:04 PMI might have a spare Aeroclub Meteor spine that is unlikely to be used. Yours if you want it, along with a resin FR nose and some dead Airfix F3 bits.

I'm more inspired by this photo and thinking about a similarly armed NF14 but with a pointier nose.

Thanks for the offer Lee but I am covered now, just depends on when the Aeroclub set arrives. I suppose I could alwasy start the build and then add the spine and tail when they arrive if it comes to that.

You mean like the top left one here Lee

Gondor

No, I was thinking of something more elegant, such as the P.1109 Hunter nose. I've a mould of the Maintrack one somewhere.  I'd just ask Alistair do a set of Fire flash missiles.

I've got that nose, I just really dislike it and very unlikely to use it.

I rather like the idea of another TR10, based on an NF14 but with the PR10 nose and tail, as well as bang seats.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I gave up on cutting the thin peices of tile as they were getting too thin. Less than a centimetre showing but roughly the same size a some wook I have so....... I shall cut lengthes of wood after shapeing them and them they will be primed and painted Gloss White. Should work a treat, he said hopefully  :-\

Gondor

Gondor

Finally got the tiles on around the bath!

Only taken me twice as long as it should, saying that one month was out due to a pulled muscle and I just kind of lost drive for a while.

So below is a picture of the corner that was giving me problems. The ends of the full tiles, 20 x 10cm, on the left nearest the corner are level with a vertical line, drawn with a spirit level, and double checked by turning the level 180o along the vertical axis, so you can see that the wall on the right does lean in a bit. I also suspect that the same happenes to the other wall too, but not as much. The picture definitely shows that the gap is smaller the higher up the wall you go.

And an overview....

Still got loads to do. Haveing second thoughts about using white for the grout  :-\

Changeing to Black would keep the illusion of gaps between the tiles which I have got used to.  <_<

Using white, which means I just use the stuff that's holding the tiles to the wall as it's dual purpose, does mean that any larger gaps can be hidden because the grout is white, the same as the tiles  ;)

Gondor

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on February 19, 2023, 08:51:21 AMThat's great work!

Naaaa it's mediocre, if I was any good all the tiles would be butted up against each other and I would not have had so much faff with the problem corner as the sizes would be bigger.

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on February 19, 2023, 08:53:34 AM

Naaaa it's mediocre, if I was any good all the tiles would be butted up against each other and I would not have had so much faff with the problem corner as the sizes would be bigger.

Gondor

It looks like a perfectly satisfactory job to me!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on February 19, 2023, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: Gondor on February 19, 2023, 08:53:34 AM

Gondor

It looks like a perfectly satisfactory job to me!

Still needs the grouting done and I still have some fiddly work around the sink to do, then there is the woodwork to finish off

Gondor

Gondor

Right, that's me calling fixing the tiles in place done!

It also shows how out of shape I am, I should be Human shaped but I am more Pear shaped  :-\

Still got almost all the grouting to do, I also need to fill in the odd gap or corner where peices have broken off when adjusting the size of some tiles, especially around the fiddily parts and for a few corners but that is the heavy work done!

Grouting and painting being two of the things needing to be done with the shelf being the third. Vynal flooring arrived on Friday I hope and once that arrives it's time to book the carpet fitterand clear out the bathroom.

Gondor

zenrat

Speaking as a former general building labourer (jack of all trades) I can tell you that it is rare to find a room where all walls are plumb and square.

Your tiling looks OK to me.  Good job.
I would advise against black grout.  It will look very harsh against the white tiles.  A dark grey would look better IMO.
Also be aware that dark grout will leave a stain if you get it on gloss white paint.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..