Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I don't think there's any difference in the two G-12s. I've got both and I can't see any differences, the plastic looks identical.
It's a pity they haven't done a G-12AS as there were some.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 09, 2023, 02:41:40 PMI don't think there's any difference in the two G-12s. I've got both and I can't see any differences, the plastic looks identical.
It's a pity they haven't done a G-12AS as there were some.

The difference is forward of the canopy Lee. I agree it would be nice to have a G-12AS as well. I wonder if they are going to do a T seeing that they are doing E's at the moment?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I'm away from the kits, I'll check them later. Not that it matters from a whiffing perspective.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 10, 2023, 02:15:31 AMI'm away from the kits, I'll check them later. Not that it matters from a whiffing perspective.

It's easy Lee, the G-4 based 12's have no bulges over the engine covers while the G-12's based on the 6's do have the bulges. Easy enough to make a AS version of the 12's by swapping the engine's and/or the associated panels and bulges and radiators. Might be something I have a go at sometime as I like a bit of cut and shunt  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Had a little look on-line and found that there is a kit of the G-12/AS by KORA which looks as if its based on the same moulds as the AZ Models kits are. Saves having to try and cut and match different engines and fuselages together. Being KORA though it is likely to be relatively expensive.  :-\

Gondor

The Wooksta!

It is very nice and you get two canopies.  Cockpit tub is resin and I'll be dropping it in rubber at some point.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 10, 2023, 08:02:07 AMIt is very nice and you get two canopies.  Cockpit tub is resin and I'll be dropping it in rubber at some point.

Thanks for the info Lee. I had a look at the company web site and found it only costs €22,00 and they also do a Fieseler-Skoda FiSk 199 w/ SC500 as well for €20,00 so I could well order both next month if I don't find either at Perth at the end of this month which I doubt I will but you never know.

Been looking at the new Group Build 23/24 season list, I voted for each of the winning groups so I suppose I should try to build some stuff for them  :-\

1st July 2023 to 30th September 2023 the Re-engine it GB.
1st November 2023 to 31st January 2024 the Buccaneer, Harrier and Jaguar GB.
1st March 2024 to 31st May 2024 the 1960's GB.

For the Re-engine it I have had a project sitting on the shelf for years so there is a build right away. Buccaneer, Harrier and Jaguar GB is right up my ally and other than an idea for a Harrier I have existing idea's for the other two to build already. The 1960's Group Build I had to check a few dates on Wikipedia to see if an Idea I already had would fir the time scale and it does so I have a hat-trick! Now to think of something for the One Week Group Build and it's got to be K.I.S.S. Keep It Stupidly Simple, so few parts, simple colour scheme and acrylic paints. Saying that, I did manage to complete a Sweedish version of a Swift FR.5 one year in the time limit  :o

Gondor

The Wooksta!

You do get two canopies in it. Personally, I'd use a standard az G-12 fuselage as a template and cut away the relevant rear of the fuselage  of a Revell G-10. The blisters under the engine are separate, as are the wing saddles.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Now I have a copy of both of the AZ Models 109H's and haveing done a little research, Airframe & Miniature No.11, that the H-0 was based on the G series although there are apparently claims they were based on the F series and that is the base kit provided by AZ.
The H-1 is based on the G-5 and AZ give you a G series kit as the base. The provision of an F base kit for the H-0 it's not really a problem as the early G's were very simmilar externally to the F series and we are dealing with aircraft that were very few in number and of which none survived the war is good enough for me. I simply need to fit an extended fixed tail wheel which I am sure I have a spare from owning several 109's by AZ Models.
With the F as the base kit for the H-0, that also gives me an F to build as I plan to use the wings with one of the G-4 based G-12's I have to produce an H-12. The H-12 kit providing another G series aircraft as I will be using mainly the extra parts provided for the two seater.
I think it works out really well with no major parts going spare which is something I dislike a lot.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Doesn't sound like it clashes with my planned H series whiffs, as I'll be using K series fuselages. The DB605D was intended as a high altitude engine so it makes sense that an operational H series would use that engine.

A pair have popped up on eBay, so I've got bids in.  Simple wing and tail swap with the spare K-4 I have, what's left becomes a G-14/U4. I've an idea for the F but the lower wing is more useful to sort out the error on the AZ S-199, as the wheel well bay should be round, not the shape of a G/K.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

I was helping my mum with a few things today, getting a new tv and setting it up was the main thing. She told me that my dad has be diagnosed with vascular dementia which explains a few things includeing he belief that there were two blokes in the flat.

Gondor

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on April 16, 2023, 09:36:57 AMI was helping my mum with a few things today, getting a new tv and setting it up was the main thing. She told me that my dad has be diagnosed with vascular dementia which explains a few things includeing he belief that there were two blokes in the flat.

Gondor

My dad was diagnosed with vascular dementia 18 month before he died.   I really do sympathise with you and your mum, it's not an easy situation to be in..  In our case, dad couldn't remember what he'd had for lunch an hour ago but he could remember in detail the street party for VJ day.   It may not work for you, but I spent a lot of time chatting to dad about schooldays, early work experiences and  how Carlisle looked in 1946  when he was 18..................he could name every shop down English Street in that year.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

Quote from: Rheged on April 16, 2023, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Gondor on April 16, 2023, 09:36:57 AMI was helping my mum with a few things today, getting a new tv and setting it up was the main thing. She told me that my dad has be diagnosed with vascular dementia which explains a few things includeing he belief that there were two blokes in the flat.

Gondor

My dad was diagnosed with vascular dementia 18 month before he died.   I really do sympathise with you and your mum, it's not an easy situation to be in..  In our case, dad couldn't remember what he'd had for lunch an hour ago but he could remember in detail the street party for VJ day.   It may not work for you, but I spent a lot of time chatting to dad about schooldays, early work experiences and  how Carlisle looked in 1946  when he was 18..................he could name every shop down English Street in that year.

My dad had "the long good bye" too. The short term memory disappears but the long term seems perfect. Get good at redirecting his thoughts and just letting things go instead of agueing or trying to correct him. A friends father had it and was in a home and kept asking when his wife, who had passed away was coming to visit. It broke his heart telling him she was gone so they just kept telling him she was super busy or not feeling good that day. It's quite an adjustment that my mom never mastered. It was rough.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on April 16, 2023, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Rheged on April 16, 2023, 11:26:29 AM

Gondor

My dad had "the long good bye" too. The short term memory disappears but the long term seems perfect. Get good at redirecting his thoughts and just letting things go instead of agueing or trying to correct him. A friends father had it and was in a home and kept asking when his wife, who had passed away was coming to visit. It broke his heart telling him she was gone so they just kept telling him she was super busy or not feeling good that day. It's quite an adjustment that my mom never mastered. It was rough.

The best advise I can give you, and its sometimes tricky for me, is be patient.

Similar here, and he was still working when it started towards the end of the Aughts.  My mother forced him into retirement after too many mistakes with customer's cars, around 2010.  Sadly (or thankfully), he was taken out by a massive staph infection, so we didn't have to watch him lose even more of himself.  My treasured, final, memory is of him gushing over the M-1165A1 I'd driven up for Cresskill (and Bogota) Memorial Day parade from ACY.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

He's probably had this for years at a much less noticable amount than now. He never has been a great communicator so talking about things with him will not be any help partly because we were never exactly close, probably in part to his upbringing, he was born in 1931.

Gondor