Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 06:27:57 AMGlad you're booked for 2024 Alistair  :thumbsup:  and apologies for my delay in getting back to you, but I spent over 12 hours in bed with my cold and only surfaced around midday I'm afraid.

No poblem Chris, last time I was in the Premier Inn just up the road from the Centre near the bowling alley. Decided that this time I would prefer to park at the hotel rather than in a public car park which I had to do when at the Premiere Inn. I had enjoyed my stay there other than the dinner one night when they burnt the inside of the pie I had   :o

Quote from: Captain Canada on November 18, 2023, 07:26:02 AMNice ! I received my 25 year service award last year, and blew most of it on frivolities.

I paid off a couple of big bills with my forces pension lump sum, one of the best things I ever did. I also was a little frivolous as well, you have to don't you  ;D

Spent half the afternoon adapting my mum's general waste bin so it can be kept shut. With the way my dad is she needs all the space in the bin between collections so other people putting rubbish in their bin is not good. Weather was rubbish due to low flying cloud, cloud base around 100 ft if that. I couldn't see Wallace's Monument from my parents not part of Stirling Castle from my kitchen window as both were obscured by cloud.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Managed to do a little bit of painting today on items for several kits. White paint..... my pet hate as I can never get it to come out right and this time some of it didn't work well. I am fairly sure that most of the problem is getting the base for the Gloss white to be nice and even with no difference in the density of the base coat. Unfortunatly the Aerocraft Models Vulcan intakes did not have a nice even coat of white primer as they were a little difficult for me to spray out of a can and then the paint pooled a little in places as well.
It's also partly me that at fault. I want to get on with the builds, not faffing around getting the interior and other sundry parts painted. Live and learn. The Phantom intakes I was painting look to have come out ok, at least so far. I will look at them tomorrow after work and will take some sandpaper to the Vulcan intakes to try and remove any excess density paint or maybe I will try to just add more paint where it appears to be thinnest and hope for the best.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Nick

I got rather upset last year because the missiles I was painting looked awful in white. I have since discovered that the Tamiya Gloss White needs severe stirring up for a good finish.

The Concorde I finished recently looks great with the new can of Halfords Appliance White. The old can was spitting out spots of uneven white paint which I put down to the can being near empty.

The Wooksta!

Never do a major job with a can of Halfords if there is less than a third in it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

Quote from: Nick on November 20, 2023, 07:00:50 AMI got rather upset last year because the missiles I was painting looked awful in white. I have since discovered that the Tamiya Gloss White needs severe stirring up for a good finish.

The Concorde I finished recently looks great with the new can of Halfords Appliance White. The old can was spitting out spots of uneven white paint which I put down to the can being near empty.

The nozzles can get clogged with old paint too. I bought a set of three different types of paint can nozzles so I could finish a can.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 20, 2023, 07:00:50 AMI have since discovered that the Tamiya Gloss White needs severe stirring up for a good finish.

According to some people I'm very good at that  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 21, 2023, 06:05:37 AM
Quote from: Nick on November 20, 2023, 07:00:50 AMI have since discovered that the Tamiya Gloss White needs severe stirring up for a good finish.

According to some people I'm very good at that  :angel:

We need a 'Whistling Innocently' emoticon... ;D

Gondor

Several years ago I bought two sets of decals by Xtradecal, not a particularly uncommon thing to do I know. These two decal sets were for the TSR.2 in 1/72. Since then I have managed to lose the instructions for both sets, I would often look at them and keep them out of their packets so as not to disturb the nice untouched sheets of markings. Now that I am getting back into building TSR.2's again I have been looking for the decals which I do remember seeing some time ago, but can I find them..... can I bugg€ry  :banghead:

Do carpet monsters eat decal sheets?

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on November 24, 2023, 02:19:28 PMDo carpet monsters eat decal sheets?

Gondor

They do. And whole kits, actually. Guess how I know..  :rolleyes:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

I've got them too somewhere Alastair, I could scan them maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Stalemates?

Surprised you managed to book the Ramada before Monday. I tried last week and was told in no uncertain terms by some sneery tosser on the phone that they were not taking bookings for the Telford dates until 10.30am on Monday gone. Spent half an hour on hold, but it got booked.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 24, 2023, 02:53:53 PMStalemates?

Surprised you managed to book the Ramada before Monday. I tried last week and was told in no uncertain terms by some sneery tosser on the phone that they were not taking bookings for the Telford dates until 10.30am on Monday gone. Spent half an hour on hold, but it got booked.

Did it on-line Lee, but your experience tells me why the money came out of the bank a little bit later than I expected.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 24, 2023, 02:37:09 PMI've got them too somewhere Alastair, I could scan them maybe?

Your fine Kit. Just me blowing off steam and showing how forgetful I am. I can, at times, put something down, turn around and forget where I have just put that item.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on November 25, 2023, 02:40:07 AMI can, at times, put something down, turn around and forget where I have just put that item.

I do that ALL the time.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2023, 03:40:23 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 25, 2023, 02:40:07 AMI can, at times, put something down, turn around and forget where I have just put that item.

I do that ALL the time.  ;D

I've ALWAYS been good at that, especially with my glasses  when I was still teaching.  So many times I'd take off my glasses and put them down  to look at a pupil's work then move on.  Ten minutes later, I'd say to the class " Okay, where did I leave them?"   and a hand would go up holding them!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Not haveing a great day. Awake earlyish, near the time duering the week that I get up for work,I did manage to get back to sleep a bit later dispite the sub zero temperature outside. This afternoon was spent helping my mother out by finding a solution to securing her general wast wheelie bin lid as she needs all the storage she can get between collections. I had tried last week to use a chain and padlock, however as my mother is in her early nineties, it proved a bit too much for her so this afternoon I bought her a bycicle Cable Lock. Light weight and far simpler to operate. Next problem was putting a hole in the bin BIG enough for the end of the Cable Lock to pass through. Ended up buying a 19mm drill bit.
Everything was much more anoying when leaving my mothers the first time to go and buy the Cable Lock I had a warning of low tyre pressure appear on my car's dashboard. So a quick trip home to look through the car manual, it takes up too much space in the car, to find that the tyre presure is recorded on the lock pillar for the drivers door. A short time later I was wishing I had left more space between my car and the air hose at the nearest garage as I was haveing difficulty seeing the display for the air presure, and my knees were complaining when I was getting up from putting the air into each tyre with the air hose. That really set the mood  :banghead:
Anyway, everything sorted and my mum is happy with the Cable Lock and I have a nice new drill bit for my tool bag  ;D

Gondor