Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Gondor on March 27, 2024, 03:34:53 AMAlso made a bit of a mess with the Fairey Project 75. I sorted out the step and glued the forward and central fuselage halves together, but got a slight twist in the joint which shows up! Out with the saw this afternoon to separate the sections again  :banghead:

Gondor

There was a part built Fairey P75 at the London Show last week. The builder was happy with the way it goes together and you can tell it's going to be a stand out piece. Big airframe too, a few inches longer than the TSR.2 he said.

The Wooksta!

Lost British Projects have the Bristol proposal to the same spec available too.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

As can be seen elsewhere I am making progress with the Fairey Tactical Strike Aircraft GOR.339 Project 75. I will have this at Perth for the Scottish Nationals, whether it's finished or not is another thing, but it will be there!

While the glue I have used is curing I have been painting. The ejector seats for the Fairey aircraft are getting attention as are a pair of Vulcan intakes using Hataka's Signal White. The first coat looks promising.

Some people on here are going to make me skint before it gets to the end of April the way things are going  :banghead:  Mentioning things that I have a bit of a weakness for is not helping. Books, Magazines and kits of helicopters being pre-ordered helps to reduce the cost though, and are far cheaper than other options in both time and effort.

So while both glue and some paint drys it's time to do some research for a couple of builds.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Had the day off today, just needed a bit of time not having to get up for work in the morning, yes I know there is the weekend for that, I was only starting to feel relaxed on the Sunday though so got today off in the hope I would be a little more relaxed over the weekend. It also gave me more of a chance to get the barber when he was less likely to be busy.

The Fairey Tactical Strike Aircraft GOR.339 Project 75 has been making slow but steady progress, due to the fuselage getting PSR'd. Once I am happy with the PSR the fin is next to go on followed by the wings, well that's the plan.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Starting to get a bit worried now. April the 8th and the Scottish Nationals start on the 27th.

I have two builds that I want to finish, My Mule and the Fairy Project 75. I've not touched the mule yet as I am concentrating on the Project 75 build. That is going reasonably well. Problems with the fuselage to wing joint, probably caused by yours truly, but nothing that can't be fixed and almost has been. Other than the canopy, the vertical tail and canards need to go on although of those three the vertical tail will be the first to be put in place, maybe this evening, maybe tomorrow. I need to do more work on the ejector seats and possibly add a touch of colour to the cockpit as well before the canopy goes on. The canards will go on after painting so it will be some time before they get fitted. Wheels can get painted in a bit, although they can be done in between other bits and pieces. The main thing to do is paint. Primer first, so I am hoping for the second half of this week being dry so I can spray my normal Halfords Grey primer outside.

Work has achieved 120% of the target budget and I get that in my pay the Thursday before the show which is nice as that means spending money  ;D   

Gondor

Gondor

Im getting sidetracked  :banghead:  :banghead:

After reading some of the other builds on here, as you do, I was taken by a profile by ysi_maniac which involved most of a Harrier. So I have just spent a couple of hours on Wikipedia fleshing out a backstory for the Le Blanc, Fer-de-Lance, the little-known competitor to the Mirage IIIV. This will consist of parts from at least three kits, I have had to order two of them, of which one is currently awaiting collection from Argos and I have to find a third kit that is somewhere in my stash the third kit is an old ESCI Harrier.

Anyway, back to the Project 75 build, All the major parts are together, at least as sub-assemblies, I now need to paint it  :blink:  It's BIG as in long and pointy! Think 1/32 F-104 with delta wings size. Rather than masking and spraying primer onto it, nowhere to hold it unless I paint one end, let it dry then paint the other, I am going to brush paint it to show any problems.

Gondor

McColm

I usually start with the underside first as the cockpit can be propped up or the wings rested on the box lid. You can rig up a jig which resembles a chicken spit then gently rotate so both sides are painted. As for me I have a tendency to change the paint scheme but after the fifth coat any surface details disappear from the layers.

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on April 13, 2024, 04:36:10 AMand I have to find a third kit that is somewhere in my stash the third kit is an old ESCI Harrier.

It's not the example I'm just sizing up for the SAAB delta VTOL build, I hope?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on April 15, 2024, 04:09:00 AM
Quote from: Gondor on April 13, 2024, 04:36:10 AMand I have to find a third kit that is somewhere in my stash the third kit is an old ESCI Harrier.

It's not the example I'm just sizing up for the SAAB delta VTOL build, I hope?

No, it's to be a parts donor for the Le Blanc VTOL project.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I've some Matchbox Harrier wreckage (I think...*) if you want it?

*In a box with a Heller Bobcat Harriet T4.  That's yours if you want it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 15, 2024, 07:37:09 AMI've some Matchbox Harrier wreckage (I think...*) if you want it?

*In a box with a Heller Bobcat Harriet T4.  That's yours if you want it.

Thanks for the offer Lee but I have what I need here.

Gondor

Gondor

The Scottish Nationals will be on their second day this time next week and I have two builds to finish before then  :banghead:

The Project 75 build was getting close and would have been closer if I had not had a drop in mojo a month or so ago, but that's life. I have the coming week off work to allow me to get the build past the finish line. It might not be fantastic and as it's quite big I will have to sit near the rear of the table which will help  :thumbsup:  I hope I can get the Mule fixed in time for the show as well. That's a more subtle whiff so I am looking forward to seeing how many punters miss the difference.

Ejector seats and Dark Sea Grey for most of the Airframe of the Project 75 build today I think and some more comparison shots seeing the responses I got with the previous pictures.

Gondor

Gondor

I have had to open a new bottle of superglue! Working on the Fairy Project 75 has used quite a bit!

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I rarely bother with expensive bottles of superglue these days.  I find the cheap 5 for a quid tubes you get at Poundland are ideal for resin kits, especially ones that require superglue/baking soda filling.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

The ones I buy Lee have grips on the side that when pressed allow the glue to come out, how hard you press them together determines the flow rate and it's the cheapest of that kind of dispenser I could find.  The two-part epoxy I use is the cheapest I could find locally, it's a generic brand from a local trade shop.

Gondor