Gondor's Grumblings

Started by Gondor, April 08, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

The first part of the work in the bathroom this weekend has been started. The out-of-place war plug has been removed and the hole opened up. The new raw plug has been inserted and I am quite happy with the results  <_<

The far-right raw plug is the replacement one. I should get a little wiggle room when the clamps are finally fitted to remove the slight slope off the shelf that is going there. I also found out that if I don't fit the vertical edge tiles at the ends of the area that needs tilting, and just add a thirteenth tile horizontally there will just be small normal gaps to add grout to. Quite happy about that.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

I have stopped working in the bathroom for today. Progress has been made, but I still have three tiles to fit and then all the grouting and little bits and pieces left over from the tiler haveing missed bits  :rolleyes:

I think it looks good so far, it will be better when it's finished though.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on September 07, 2024, 10:31:34 AMI think it looks good so far, it will be better when it's finished though.

Gondor

I agree - and yes, things generally do. ;D

Gondor

That is all the tiles around the sink fitted!

Lots of filing was done to make the last two marble effect tiles fit but I got there in the end. I also found an extra green edging tile so I replaced the one to the lower right of the sink with a longer section than there had been. I used a palette knife to apply the adhesive/grout to the back of the tiles as well as to some of the tiles on the right side of the sink where the "expert" had missed putting grout.

I shall finish the grout around the sink tomorrow after work, including any snagging required. The filing was done at my modelling bench using a vice and files that I had bought years ago but never had the need to use, until now  :drink:

Gondor

Rick Lowe

You never know what will come in handy, do you.  ;D  :thumbsup:

Gondor

I am now calling this phase of the Bathroom Renovation Complete!  :party: 

The glass shelf is now installed securely!

The various accoutrements are now festooned over the improvement for my convenience.

I'm quite pleased at how well that part has turned out. The majority of the other work looks quite reasonable as well. The lower wall on the left of the pictures remains to be finished, with a few recently filled holes sanded back, and then the wall below the tiling and possibly the end of the bath will be painted as well. I also have a batton for the tap end of the bath to finish painting so that the shower door can be fitted to it when it's in place. There is a new soapdish arriving later this week which I hope to fit through one of the wall tiles that I have not fitted yet, then I can think about replacing the toilet roll holder and towel rails with items that are of a similar style to new fittings.

Gondor

Rick Lowe

:thumbsup:
"I Love it when a Plan comes together!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Brings back memories of me helping my stepfather tiling the bathroom and kitchen, the ceramic tile cutter! Well done sir.

The Rat

Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2024, 03:38:30 AMI had the struts go on a Holden Station Wagon. 

"Holden wrecks and boiling diesels, steam in 45°"  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

A few good and some badish things going on. Good things are finding the second of the two Hawker P.1027 conversion sets that I could not find. I had managed to narrow down the search area which helped. I have also found my tiling tools, a week after I needed the files  :banghead:  :banghead:  I am going to try drilling a couple of holes into a tile to mount a new soap dish. This will use a drill bit that I found in the box that the tiling tools were in so I am hoping it works.
The badish news is that my mum is in hospital. She had an electrocardiogram earlier and they found out that her heart was not working as well as it should. After her doctors phoning one of my sisters that they had the phone number for, she phoned around my other sisters. So my mum was called into the hospital "immediately" so they could look after her and fit her with a pacemaker this coming week. Apparently, the top half of her heart is not working as is should which means that the lower half is not able to work as it should. The pacemaker, which the fitting of is an outpatient thing these days, should bring order to the near chaos that is going on with her heart. My sister, when she phoned me last night, told me that a quiet little trip with Mum yesterday just after 2 pm ended up with her getting home a bit before 9 pm. Mum had intended to go to church on Sunday so I would not be visiting her, now she is not going I will pop into the hospital and see her instead.

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 14, 2024, 05:28:01 AMThe pacemaker, which the fitting of is an outpatient thing these days, should bring order to the near chaos that is going on with her heart.

Gondor

Yup, amazing isn't it. Hope she responds well mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

One of my customers in Ireland made most of the pacemakers that are used in the EU, and that includes the UK as far as they're concerned.

You wouldn't BELIEVE how many of the tiny little things they knock out each year, it's well into tens of millions!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My view of a pacemaker is a kind of regulator, makes sure nothing goes too fast or too slow and that all cylinders are firing in the right order at the right time.

More good news too. I have fitted a new soap dish holder in the bathroom, through tiles!!

I was a bit sceptical about the whole hole drilling through a tile thing which is why all the mounting points for the shower and mirrors are at tile edges so that there would be no drilling through tiles. The drill bit I found that I had went into the tile as if I was drilling into wood! The hardest thing was getting the mounting bracket to be vertical and then the loop for the soap dish to be horizontal. The whole process took under fifteen minutes I think. Very surprised and very happy about it.

Gondor

zenrat

Quote from: The Rat on September 11, 2024, 11:17:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2024, 03:38:30 AMI had the struts go on a Holden Station Wagon. 

"Holden wrecks and boiling diesels, steam in 45°"  ;D

It wasn't that bad a car.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..